1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Patch Pocket Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Slewfoot, Oct 15, 2010.

1. dopey

dopey Well-Known Member

The one with the pleats and bar tacks is RTW (Crittenden Rawings). It looks to be functional only in the most bare and academic sense. Mine (post #4) is bespoke and is a bellows construction (essentially, it is a box that can collapse on itself or unfold, with the top corners tacked down to keep it neater; but the bottom is free). It is copied from an old Mortimer and Meyer bespoke piece pesjek thrifted.

Last edited: May 14, 2013
  2. bboysdontcryy

bboysdontcryy Well-Known Member

Don't think you posted a picture on this thread. Post #4 is by somebody else.

I had my coat made with bellow pockets as well. I had asked for slightly rounded edges but was told, rightly or not, that it's not possible to have rounded edges if I wanted bellow pockets.

Tacking the edges sounds like a very good idea especially since my pockets are now somewhat mis-shapened. Are the 'tacks' like the one from above, except at the edges? Costi provided some very good advice some time ago when he recommended that patch pockets be fully lined or that one can have a pocket within the patch pocket that one can use to store heavier stuff. I've tried the latter for my blazers.

3. bboysdontcryy

bboysdontcryy Well-Known Member

Oh the one Slew posted is yours? What?! That's a bellow pocket? Doesn't look like one at all. Very neat. Where's the tacking? Hidden on the underside? if your coat is an example of a bellow pocket, then apparently, you CAN have a bellow pocket that is rounded. Did you meet any resistance to that request for a rounded bellow pocket?

Patch pocket on mine is identical to the one below, except that it has an inverted pleat. I was told that it was not possible to have slightly rounded edges on these.The bellow pockets on my coat looks dissimilar from your copy of Pesjek's though -- in that on my coat, the pockets 'protrude' outwards whilst on yours, they seem quite flat.

[​IMG]

4. dopey

dopey Well-Known Member

Yes. Slew posted mine. The tailor was, justly, quite proud of his work. On the other hand, since I showed him a picture, he couldn't claim it was impossible. It is remarkable how nicley they sit, even if the patterns aren't perfectly matched because of the height..
    As for the tacks, that is a bit over-technical. They are simply sewn down securely - neatly, but not a specific bar tack or anything like that. Also, it has to go through four layers of tweed.