1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The OneShirt: A Phoenix from the Ashes [4/24/13 UPDATE: A SHIRTMAKER, AN ENGLISHMAN, CHAMBRAY, AND F

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mafoofan, Mar 20, 2013.

1. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Well-Known Member

Blazer outfits too?

What else is poplin good for? I guess also summery colored suits...but it doesn't seem that much more versatile that RO to me, and covers basically the same situations. I think you could get by with a bunch of RO and maybe one poplin instead of the entire allotment of poplins if that were your preference.

2. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

Poplin goes with almost anything. It's just neutral.

3. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

Thinking back, in eight years now I can't recall a single instance of a button falling off a Geneva shirt. That's pretty good!

4. unbelragazzo

You'd wear poplin with tweed?

5. mafoofan

mafoofan Well-Known Member

That is indeed! Maybe there truly is something to their whole spiel about machine-sewing being stronger in every case.

No buttons have come off my Matuozzo shirts either. It's just that the fabric is disintegrating around them.

6. mafoofan

I do.

It's not as if most shirting weaves are going to be noticeable from more than a foot or two away.

7. unbelragazzo

Interesting...I don't think I would ever do that, but maybe I'm being overly fussy. I'm assuming you'd still never wear royal oxford with tweed?

8. mafoofan

I don't like royal oxford--but if I did, I'm not sure what would stop me from wearing it with tweed.

Well, I take that back. It does tend to have a sheen, doesn't it?

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
  9. unbelragazzo

It's got a kind of shininess to it that I don't think would go well with tweed. Like Manton said, it's "fancy."

10. johanm

johanm Well-Known Member

I take the opposite approach - plain blue 20% of the time, some type of blue stripe 80%. Blue stripes are great in at least 3 thicknesses (hairline, candy, bengal) and 3 colors (sky, medium blue, navy). I'd be happy with a shirt wardrobe of 2 sets of those 9 combinations, plus a handful of plain blues.

11. dopey

dopey Well-Known Member

Thanks. That is what I was looking for from you.

1 person likes this.
  12. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Well-Known Member

I like different colors and patterns too much to have a OneShirt myself, though I have to admit I admire your willingness to simplify your wardrobe and take some abuse for it. If I was going to go that route, it would probably look similar to this as I think that light blue is the most versatile color for a shirt. I'd replace single cuffs with French cuffs; for whatever reason, I like the added weight.

I don't think an OCBD is a good option for the OneShirt. If you're dressed in a suit and tie or odd jacket and tie a substantial majority of the time, the OneShirt should reflect this and not your more casual preferences. I assume the whole point of the OneShirt is to simplify your clothing choices and reduce the time you have to spend thinking about what to wear, so why be bothered to think about whether you have a need to be wearing something more conservative than an OCBD that particular day (perhaps a conservative client meeting)? Save the OCBD shirts for times when you know you can be more casual without thinking about it.

13. Balfour

Balfour Well-Known Member

I like the idea of minimalism too.

I think one or two white double-cuffs falls within the 'not monolithic' exception.

Beyond that, I would need both plain pale blue and pale blue / white stripes (I could limit myself to bengal).

And I would hate to give up tattersall (but could).

14. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Well-Known Member

Were you wearing those vulgar fat buttons SF likes? If so, you could avoid the problem by choosing buttons that aren't vulgarly fat.

4 people like this.
  15. RDiaz

RDiaz Well-Known Member

Is chambray the same thing as batiste? When I ask for a chambray cloth around here no one knows what I'm talking about, but I've owned some batista (spanish word) shirts in the past and I'm not sure they are the same thing.

16. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

Geneva (and other shirtmakers) think so, but the way SF means it they are not the same. Chambray is denser and rougher. Definitely a fall/winter cloth, where as batiste is for summer.

17. poorsod

poorsod Well-Known Member

I think it depends on the particular example of the cloth. The much-maligned SG chambray seems quite loosely woven and I wear it in the summer. I have seen other examples of chambray which are densely and heavily woven that I think can only be worn in the colder months.

18. mafoofan

I have seen the Simonnot-Goddard chambray more frequently indicated as a warm weather shirting. I see it as a year-round cloth. I never depend on shirting to keep me warm in the winter. The only thing that prevents me from wearing a particular shirting in cold weather is whether it appears season appropriate.

19. mafoofan

Always happy to oblige.

20. Kuro

Kuro Well-Known Member

interesting. i do as well and a certain French shirtmaker told me that it is their default for double cuffs.