1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Old Guys threak

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Mr. Checks, Dec 12, 2009.

1. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

Relax all. These are the good-old days!!
    True. While thinking about the past can be enjoyable from time to time ... trying to live there is a waste of time. Ain't gonna happen.

Most Important: The Present
    Next in Importance: The Future
    Lest in Importance: The Past

2. lefty

lefty Well-Known Member

To hell with that . . . those were the days.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

lefty

3. glenjay

glenjay Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

lefty

We used to call them knockers. Loved to play with them then, still do.

In regard to variety shows: I can't belive that no one has mentioned Dean Martin and the Gold Diggers. I loved that show. Dean was so cool with his glass of booze and his cigarette, jumping up on the baby grand piano. The white short shorts on the gold diggers were pretty risque in the day.

As a kid I remember having bottled milk delivered to a small ice chest on the porch. I also remember that you could buy a plastic sheet that was tinted in graduations from green to blue that you could stick on the front of your B&W TV to simulate color. I think I prefer 1080p HD.

4. lefty

lefty Well-Known Member

There was cool . . . and then there was Dean Martin.

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

lefty

5. InsBrokerTX

InsBrokerTX Well-Known Member

Pong.

Leisure suits. Mine was forest green and I wore it with a butterfly bow tie.

As I mentioned before I was a Hot Wheels guy rather than Matchbox. I had the case the looked like a tire that you opened up to put all your cars in.

[​IMG]

I also had the track that had the little machine that the car would go through that had spinning rubber wheels inside it that would shoot it down the track. I think they were called "Superchargers" or something.
    [​IMG]

Also, who else had baseball cards that would today be worth four figures, but for the fact that you clothes-pinned them to the spokes of your bicycle to make your bike (sort of) sound like a motorcycle.

Which reminds me...only the old guys on here probably remember what clothes pins were actually used for.

Boy, you brought back some great memories. I think I still have my hot wheel case like that. I think it is in my son's closet.

6. imageWIS

imageWIS Well-Known Member

Do they still make these?

[​IMG]

lefty

Last time my parents went to France (last year), my mother brought me back one of those with pictures of Versailles... a book of the damn place would have been more appropriate for a 20-something... [​IMG] anyways, yes they still make those.

I'm old enough to remember this:

[​IMG]

7. imageWIS

imageWIS Well-Known Member

There was cool . . . and then there was Dean Martin.

[​IMG]

lefty

I'll raise you:

[​IMG]

8. Master Squirrel

Master Squirrel Well-Known Member

Boy, you brought back some great memories. I think I still have my hot wheel case like that. I think it is in my son's closet.
    I sold mine at a garage sale in the mid-80s. BJ and the bear got me into the "matchbox" semis.

9. Doxe

Doxe Well-Known Member

I remember:

B&W TV with channels from 2 to 12 on a dial that you had to turn;

Rabbit ears for TV;

Slip n' slide;

Monkey bars in playgrounds (haven't seen these in years);

People buying cars with cash instead of leasing or financing;

Saying the Lords Prayer every day in school. Seriously, we did this every morning until the Supreme Court said it was illegal;

Dodgeball (I loved dodgeball);

Phones made of bakelite. No one these days understands the old noir films where someone gets hit in the head with a phone and is knocked out;

But the single biggest thing the new generation has no idea of is the Emergency Broadcast System warnings. I remember every three days or so the TV station would hae a commercial (remember station breaks) and there would be this long 20 second beeeeeeeeeeppppp, and then an ominous voice would say: "This is has been a test of the Emergency Broadcast System. This is only a test. In the case of a real emergency instructions would follow."

Ah, nothing like the constant threat of nuclear holocaust to stir the memories.

10. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Well-Known Member

Do they still make these?

[​IMG]

lefty

Wow!! Thanks for posting!!! I totally forgot about this. Probably one of the first toys I ever had. I had one with all the He-Man slides with Skeletor and all that.

Crazy, I don't think my brain accessed that memory for 20 years...

11. lefty

lefty Well-Known Member

But the single biggest thing the new generation has no idea of is the Emergency Broadcast System warnings. I remember every three days or so the TV station would hae a commercial (remember station breaks) and there would be this long 20 second beeeeeeeeeeppppp, and then an ominous voice would say: "This is has been a test of the Emergency Broadcast System. This is only a test. In the case of a real emergency instructions would follow."

For you, Doxe.

And from the flower children of Syracuse:

lefty

12. Master Squirrel

Master Squirrel Well-Known Member

Monkey bars in playgrounds over tar/concrete with broken glass lying about.

Fixed it for you... and somehow we (and our parents) never cared.

Well in my neighborhood it was only used cars and people would be mad because the state made you write in that you paid at least $50 for the car. My first two cars cost $75 and $150. Bought a 60's runabout boat for $400 and proceeded to update it to the 80's. Carpeting and all.

The handles were twenty pounds. Remember using shoulder rests for extended phone conversations?

13. GusW

GusW Well-Known Member

Anyone have the very old styled hockey game, where you pulled and twisted levers? All my friends and I had one, and we spent hours playing it.
    I had one in my college dormroom. We wore it out!

14. GusW

GusW Well-Known Member

With an 8-track

[​IMG]

15. Agnacious

Agnacious Well-Known Member

I miss the acceleration jolt of my 650 double pumper carburetor.

Now it would just make me have to piss.

16. lefty

lefty Well-Known Member

Does anyone remember acid?

[​IMG]

lefty

17. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

Does anyone remember acid?

[​IMG]

lefty

Remember? I live in Berkeley.

18. foodguy

foodguy Well-Known Member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    I grew up in Tucson and remember when the Toros were the AAA affiliate for the Oakland A's (early '70's, I think). Phil Garner and Manny Trillo played on the same infield, with Dan Ford in the outfield. They couldn't make the majors because the A's were winning the World Series.

my first sportswriting job was in albuquerque and i covered the dukes from time to time (AAA dodgers). The first season was Ron Cey, Mike Marshall, Charlie Hough, Davey Lopes and Steve Yeager with Tommy Lasorda managing!

19. zippyh

zippyh Well-Known Member

I remember:

Actually I still hear these on the local NPR station every now and then.

20. lefty

lefty Well-Known Member

Remember? I live in Berkeley.

Did you wear flowers in your hair?

I had some interesting psychedelic drug experiences. Carried on a lengthy conversation with a fellow at a Pink Floyd concert whose face was made of polished stone.

Another time I looked down at my hands to discover that I had no fingers, only stumps. That eventually spread up my arms and legs until I was a just torso with a steel rod running through my shoulders joints. I was suspended in space by this rod swinging slowly back and forth for a few hours.

Pinball on acid was particularly interesting.

lefty