• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Old Guys threak

JoelF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Checks
Do you know what an IBM Selectric is?

Was the Selectric the one that was the huge advance because it had a little mag card thing that actually recorded what was typed, and then you could correct it later? Or was that the Selectric II? Can't believe I'm about to Google this . . .

Edit: The Wikipedia article on Selectrics is really pretty fascinating:

IBM Selectric typewriter

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I still write checks for all my bills.... and buy postage stamps... at the post office.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron
It's a little depressing that I'm old enough for this thread.

+1.
blush.gif

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Parker
I still ... buy postage stamps at the post office.
There is another place to buy them?

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
That part of the horse is the "anus" ...
That I recognize ... Style Forum being what it is.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
I gave my son some of my old Matchbox cars last year. They were made less than two decades after WWII in a financially strapped country that was still recovering from the effects of the war by making tchotkes for the American market. Stamped on the bottom? "Made in England." - B
still have most of mine intact, most of them have 1977 to 1979 production dates... I think its around 100+ still in the box in my old room. my daughters play with me and my wife's old Lego sets, circa mid-80s.
Do you know what an IBM Selectric is?
Still have one in our office, I remember seeing it the first time as a kid sometime in 85/86 and thinking, 'wow, that is way cooler than the Remington upright we use in our typing class'... and yeah we used to have typing class. +++++ I used to buy audio 'metal' tapes for mixed tapes, TDK being a favorite brand and one of the leaders in the audio tape market. Also had a small collection of betamax tapes which I still use until laser discs came in... once the laser disc players had auto-reverse, I figured that is the format of the future and nothing else will top that.
laugh.gif

Mr. Checks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Hey old bros,

What life advice would you have for us young bucks?

Sincerely yours,

Matrostiels

If you don't want to get out of bed to go to work, find a different line of work.

Use shoe trees.

This is an easy one since you're on the SF: buy quality.

Mr. Checks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JoelF
Was the Selectric the one that was the huge advance because it had a little mag card thing that actually recorded what was typed, and then you could correct it later? Or was that the Selectric II? Can't believe I'm about to Google this . . .

Edit: The Wikipedia article on Selectrics is really pretty fascinating:

IBM Selectric typewriter

I was actually thinking of the mid-1980s Selectric III, it appears. I can't even imagine how ridiculously easy college would have been with a computer.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bradford
Do you remember when TV didn't have reality shows, but it did have Variety Shows?

The Smothers Brothers Show
The Carol Burnett Show

The Donny and Marie Show

The Captain and Tennille Show

Why doesn't someone revive the variety show format?

You honestly remember these shows? Wasn't the Smothers Brothers over by the late 60s?

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you don't want to get out of bed to go to work, find a different line of work.
Easy enough to say but what if the line of work you want pays jack? Not to derail though, there have been several threaks on this topic.

Use shoe trees.
Duh. But even with sneakers?

This is an easy one since you're on the SF: buy quality.
thumbs-up.gif

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bradford
Do you remember when TV didn't have reality shows, but it did have Variety Shows?

The Smothers Brothers Show

The Carol Burnett Show

The Donny and Marie Show

The Captain and Tennille Show

Why doesn't someone revive the variety show format?

The Smothers Brothers
had a few cameo slots
on Life with Bonnie.

I am not joking
when I call them the highlight
of Life with Bonnie.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
How about Gilligan's Island, The Brady Bunch, etc.? Shows from a much more innocent time (or so it seems.)

Has anyone mentioned a party line yet? Or a rotary phone? A time when only affluent people had answering machines?

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
How about Gilligan's Island, The Brady Bunch, etc.? Shows from a much more innocent time (or so it seems.)

Has anyone mentioned a party line yet? Or a rotary phone? A time when only affluent people had answering machines?

My mother-in-law
Still uses her rotary
Will not relinquish.

Gilligan's Island:
Professor plus MaryAnn
not so innocent.

cimabue

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
There's a small headgear company in California that made the Skipper's hat. They made most of the yachting caps used in the movies and worn by the stars back in the day. Quality stuff, the "Black Yacht Cap". Check it, sailor: www.lancap.com

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads