1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Official Wine Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by audiophilia, Jul 20, 2009.

1. RedLantern

RedLantern Well-Known Member

I put in an order for 3 more the next day, so I would say yes.

2. b1os

b1os Well-Known Member

Had another bottle of the Barth Riesling Charta 2012 today. I enjoyed it so I guess my tastebuds were off last time.

3. djblisk

djblisk Well-Known Member

Too bad I'm in California. Sounds interesting.

4. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

2008 Taittinger Le Reve (Carneros). Really, really good. Right up there with some of best Champs. Not vintage Krug maybe, but easily the superior of anything from France at its price point.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
    3 people like this.
  5. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

for $100 a bottle, "superior" is a very strong statement.

2 people like this.
  6. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

Is it that much? The people who brought it said they got it for $60.

7. dwlbu

dwlbu Well-Known Member

Full Pull is an e-mail wine sales company that gets allocations of generally tough to get wines focusing on the Pacific Northwest. They then offer them to their list members located all over the country. There are no purchase requirements and what RedLantern posted was a typical note they will send out with the offerings. Usually they come out 1-3 times a week in plain text, so as not to completely bog down your e-mail. I'd recommend signing up for it and give it a shot. It's 100x better than WTSO.

8. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Well-Known Member

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
  9. djblisk

I f

Is it me or does WTSO suck? The prices are the same and most of the wine are meh.

10. dwlbu

dwlbu Well-Known Member

WTSO sucks bad... they're the exclusive distributor of 95% of the wines they offer which is a major red flag. Every once in a while they have some pretty killer deals... probably not worth the incessant emails.

11. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

Several years ago WTSO did not suck. I scored some great wines off them back in the day.

12. djblisk

Agreed. They suck now though. Although once in a while, you'll see some good stuff. Like $25 2010 Brunellos.

13. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

If you drink a lot of cheap staples, as I do, then WTSO is still useful. For wine to cellar, not really. But for cheap Bords, Macons, Roses and the like, good deals pop up frequently. No tax and no shipping charges are nice.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
    2 people like this.
  14. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

I had a sample size of one website, so who knows. $60 and it's a different story.

15. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

I think some of us did a tasting or two based around a WTSO wine at one point, no?

Had this with the braised oxtails last night. Drinking very well right now and wish I had more. Not a CA fruit bomb but rather a nice balance of fruit, acid, and tannin.

[​IMG]

16. commanderdean

commanderdean Active Member

17. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

SC Mountains probably makes the best old school cabs in the state these days. Ridge Monte Bello is the best wine in California. Mount Eden is another great producer. Then you have Kathleen Kennedy (not bad) and Cinnabar (decent). No fruit bombs.

18. b1os

b1os Well-Known Member

Schneider is so 2010. :p But yeah, at 8 EUR or something, Ursprung is a decent value.

19. commanderdean

commanderdean Active Member

Well, I am also looking all the time for new flavours but a good wine is a good wine. :)

20. Girardian

Girardian Well-Known Member

The most interesting wine I had last week was a 1999 Château Chasse-Spleen. Secondary elements were coming through, not a lot of fruit left, but a good food wine that sat on the fence between grabbing your attention and quietly complimenting the meal. The second day it continued to develop (I did not put this one on my nitrogen system), and gave it the thumbs up. I think I like it more than the conventional wisdom, but note that the bottles I have were perfectly stored so they may show more potential than those that were not.

I also had a 2010 Ridge Zinfandel Carmichael - this is a Zin with some restrained up front fruit and a dry finish. Not your fireside drink it solo, but a more food-oriented CA wine. Blind I would have pegged it as more "old world" in style, and possibly region.

This weekend I'll dig out something more intriguing and report back.