1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Official Wine Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by audiophilia, Jul 20, 2009.

1. concealed

concealed Well-Known Member

That is a good one, but I prefer the JP Brun Terre Dorees Beauj Blanc for an extra buck or two

2. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Well-Known Member

At the end of a muggy, ninety-degree day, I'm drinking some Txakolina.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  3. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

Okay, may or may not have mentioned Kutch here recently. Got try some.

Was blinded on a wine tonight. I called 10+ years bottle age, new world, Zin and Syrah blend. Turned out to be this 2001 Cherry Red. I was happy with my call.

Edit:
    LOL, I forgot I posted this last night and was coming to post about Kutch. Nose is incredible.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2015
  4. jcusey

jcusey Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I had this on Friday and Saturday. Considerable oak, but not the buttered popcorn effect that you sometimes get. Golden yellow, leesy, bright acidity, good citrus fruit, excellent concentration, not overly-alcoholic. Just excellent. I've previously had Kumeu River's entry-level chard and the '07 Hunting Hill chard, and both were similarly very enjoyable. The '09 of their other single-vinyard chard (Coddington) is currently in queue, and I'm excited to try it.

Here's a recent article by Jancis about a Kumeu River vs. white Burg tasting that she attended that I found while looking for more info on the winery:

http://www.jancisrobinson.com/articles/top-kiwi-v-white-burgundy

I'm not usually in the mood for Kiwi sauvignon blanc, but I can't imagine not being in the mood for this.

5. erictheobscure

But could we also imagine a language in which a person could write down or give vocal expression to his inner experiences--his feelings, moods, and the rest--for his private use?--Well, can't we do so in our ordinary language?--But that is not what I mean. The individual words of this language are to refer to what can only be known to the person speaking; to his immediate private sensations. So another person cannot understand the language.

--Wittgenstein, Philosophical Investigations, §243

6. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

I'm going to Sherry Lehman tomorrow to get some of this.

7. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

kop me some? I still have your Burgs at my desk!

8. jcusey

jcusey Well-Known Member

This is a super necro-post, but I saw this while searching the thread.

I have tried the framboise and the poire. I really like the framboise -- in addition to the raspberry, there's herbal thing going on that's very nice. The poire is fine; but most of the time, I'd rather just have a pommeau or a calvados.

9. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Well-Known Member

Great store. I still order stuff from them even living in Chicago and try to pay them a visit when I'm back in NY.

10. erictheobscure

[​IMG]

Very good.

1 person likes this.
  11. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

12. ShawnBC

ShawnBC Well-Known Member

Subscribing to this thread because I have a growing interest in wines and I would like to expand my knowledge on grape variety, absolute must-have for beginner wine cellars and the like.

@patrickBOOTH at my local SAQ (the state-run liquor stores in Quebec), we only have Chateau de Fontenille in 2013 and 2014 vintages, in white only. Have you tasted those?

Last edited: Jun 20, 2015
  13. patrickBOOTH

14. b1os

b1os Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

This was pretty good. Bold.

15. ehkay

ehkay Well-Known Member

Aware me about eye-talian wine. 101 level.

16. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

101 is "Italy makes wine". Then it jumps to grad level of stupidity from there.

Piedmont is a fascinating area. Goes from delicious table wine in red and white, to epic reds, and everything in between.

2 people like this.
  17. Piobaire

3000+ varietals? Insane.

3 people like this.
  18. indesertum

indesertum Well-Known Member

i really want to say there are really only 15, 20 varietals you see regularly in a given bottle shop. but there's so much depth and breadth to italy. i feel like you can just drink in one part of the country your whole life and still learn new things all the time

http://www.wine-searcher.com/regions-italy

this is a fantastic resource. it's up to date, the articles aren't that long but still very interesting, and click on any region or varietal and you can see the most popular wines (according to number of searches) as well as which shops have it (you can also conveniently search within your particular state)

read this fantastic article today

http://www.wine-searcher.com/m/2015/06/gravner-takes-the-selfish-approach-to-wine

about josko gravner who's a producer in friuli making ribolla gialla based wines in that slovenian style ("natural" wines aged in amphorae and then slovenian oak. can i say slovenian style?). i've had a few radikon bottles before and they're not my thing, but really interesting especially if you like orange wines. wonder if gravner tastes similar (edit: apparently gravner inspired radikon to pursue that style)

i've been drinking a ton of roses recently and this one left the biggest impression

[​IMG]

the grapes taste so old. it tastes incredibly extracted and concentrated but the very high acidity and low alcohol pulls it back. fresh but powerful and deeply layered is what comes to mind. really weird. there's also this very ripe strawberry note that's prominent

Last edited: Jun 21, 2015
    2 people like this.
  19. patrickBOOTH

Piedmont and Tuscany.

1 person likes this.
  20. Piobaire

For me Tuscany > Piedmont. I know that's probably not going to be the majority opinion here but I've had great success with nicely priced, "delicious" wines from Chianti and Brunello (I think I just plain like the Sangiovese grape) and I've enjoyed the few quality Super Tuscans I've had a chance to try.

1 person likes this.