1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Official Wine Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by audiophilia, Jul 20, 2009.

1. LeatherBoot

LeatherBoot Well-Known Member

Wine is usually rated on the same scale. You can get outstanding wine for much less than Latour that is of an equal quality but at $15 a bottle the wine maker has to be loosing money if they are using quality grapes and packaging. Latour is so expensive because it is a first growth.

I am clearly reading too much into the word "spectacular".

2. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

yes. Remove "spectacular" from the tag "wine" and reattached it to "$15 wine"

3. indesertum

indesertum Well-Known Member

i'm sure you can get outstanding quality for $15, but calling it equal quality to latour seems like a disingenuous trollish statement. the oak barrels latour uses cost $3600+ by themselves and that's $12 right there in just manufacturing costs (every vintage i believe is 100% new oak).

how is chateau musar? i've always been very curious what it's like. i've heard it has brett issues that the wine maker likes.

i've read a story about him that i thought was great. occasionally around his vineyards there would be bombings and usually his family would go in a bomb shelter in the cellar/cave. he got so tired of doing that he moved his family to europe, but stayed himself to make the wine. one night the bombing started up again and he finally didn't give a shit anymore. he pulled out one of his oldest bottles from the 70s and just drank the bottle over several hours, while bombs dropped around him. woke up the next day and shells had just missed his house and laid waste to a lot of his vines. trying to find the source, but cant find it.

i think he passed away just this past month

Last edited: Feb 10, 2015
  4. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

I probably drink more cheap Bord than any of you and while I love it, pretty much none of it would I call "outstanding." The best QPR I've had in recent years was Lescalles, which I can't seem to find any more, but once could get for $15. It's great but it's no Latour.

5. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

After I get back from wine country, if I have any room left in the cellar, I need to order some Chinon. Open to producer suggestions.

6. gomestar

dipping into too much semantics here. IMO "spectacular" can and does exist at all price points. Take the Bachelet "Bourgogne Rouge 2002" that Manton and I pillaged for like $32-35 a bottle. I'd call that wine spectacular, though it would have its work cut out for it against the same vintage from its more esteemed siblings in Corbeaux.

I have had a handful of wines in the sub $30 price point that were spectacular at any price point.

7. indesertum

look for baudry, raffault, and jouget. jouget's stuff is good, but i would put the other two at about the same but half the price. you can easily find 7, 8 year olds for $20-$30. also i've been really enjoying catherine et pierre breton. their chinons are great, but their bourgeuil is killer and you can find it for $15.

i used to really not like cab franc cuz of that green pepper type smell, but i don't notice it that much among the good producers

1 person likes this.
  8. Piobaire

Yeah, I had some Boudry and Jouget last year. Had this too:

[​IMG]

Incredibly balanced with good fruit on open, last glass 30 minutes later was watery acid grape juice.

1 person likes this.
  9. indesertum

sounds kind of fun

i would highly recommend finding catherine et pierre breton then. they're imported by kermit lynch and pretty easy to find. definitely a daily drinker in the winter months. i have to say even if kermit lynch products do cost more, the man has great taste. never had a meh moment with anything i try from him.

10. LeatherBoot

I love Musar, it's a blend sort of similar to a Bordeaux in style but they use uncommon grapes like Cinsault and Carignan so nothing that I have tried tastes quite like it. I have heard issues regarding bottle variation but anything that I have experienced in the few cases I have gone through by now is minimal at best. Just the other night I had this 1986 Musar and it tasted very much like my favorite, the 2000, with a bit more age (obviously).

[​IMG]

I am going to buy more of the '86 and I am going to try the '85.

In regards to brett there hasn't been enough to deter me...maybe it is a flaw but certainly not a fault as Musar's I have been drinking are generally rated 90+...I don't consider Musar to be a polarizing wine.

I did hear that Serge Hochar died in an accident in Dec...Ronald Hochar is still alive but I haven't heard anything about who will be running the business. I hope the prices don't balloon like they did for Sine Qua Non when Manfred Krankl got in a serious motorcycle accident.

11. Piobaire

What's the best red/white everyone had in 2014? Slew is not allowed to play this game with us.

12. LeatherBoot

This is my favorite red from the last few months:

[​IMG]

It's rustic and complex...just the sort of thing I love. Supposedly, they crush the grapes by foot.

I don't drink too much white and taking the dessert wines out of the equation it would have to be this:

[​IMG]

13. gomestar

old Krug. Covers both red and white, too.

14. Piobaire

You're a Champs slut.

15. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

In Cambodia there are tons of over the hill wines for insanely cheap. I've been drinking some decent 1990's Bordeaux formaldehyde for like $15.

1 person likes this.
  16. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

red: 1958 BV.

White ... hmmm ... probably a 1990 LeRoy BB.

1 person likes this.
  17. Piobaire

White would hands down by the C-C I had in October. Cannot put a finger on reds yet.

18. Piobaire

I know Peay gets mixed review here but had a really nice 05 SVD Syrah tonight with dinner. Drinking very nicely.

19. indesertum

It's the peay pinot noir that I don't like especially for the price. You could substitute any other similar grape and not really notice a difference. I'm sure the other hotter grapes are more suited to their oaky extracted style.

20. Piobaire

Will admit to confusion. The Peay vineyards are "extreme" Sonoma coast and known for more cool weather grapes, less extracted, styles of wine. They're part of that group that pledged towards more finesse and elegance.

FWIW, the Peay brothers are from Ohio. I've met Andy a few times and he reminds me of a gregarious bouncer more than anything else. He's about 6'3" with huge hands.