1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Official Wine Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by audiophilia, Jul 20, 2009.

1. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

cellar.

2. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

Indeed but wondering for how long. Also wondering if I can try that Gevrey yet or not (no Manton).

3. gomestar

6+. I mean, you could drink sooner, but the age really helps them integrate.

2009 was a killer year, so the GC's should be great, I'm just not sure when since I haven't had any '09's beyond the Drouhin basics. Can't recall if '09 is like '05 (hard as nails).

4. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

I'm sort of using 10 years as my benchmark now unless consensus is that it's a vintage that can be approached early.

5. Eustace

Eustace Well-Known Member

Metras is more like $65 a bottle, if you can find it.....

I don't disagree with you that they've gotten pretty expensive, but compared to most of Burgundy, most are still relatively affordable. I love Nebbiolo, including the Valtellina expressions, and Italy generally still offers the best value across the board. But, love Cru Beaujolais too.

6. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Well-Known Member

Don't get me wrong- Italy is by far my favorite choice for wines but I still think Spain may be, collectively, the best values across the board. I find much in the $20's from Spain that is excellent and much less-so with Italian - though still great value.

I am pouring a Rosenthal import from Calabria tomorrow night that totally has me :inlove::inlove::inlove: Du Croppio “Serra Sanguigna” 70% Gaglioppo, 15% Malvasia Nera 15% Greco Nero.

7. gomestar

yeah, price is an issue for me. At $65, one can get into some pretty serious wine from Burgundy, Bordeaux, Tuscany, Rhone, Piedmont, etc. I guess I'm thinking that at $65, why bother with a Beauj (and I totally realize that it's a dumb stance to have).

8. Eustace

I dig Rioja, sherry and some of the whites, particularly the Rias Baixas ones, but I'll admit I don't drink enough from Spain. Had a Lopez de Heredia vina tondonia blanco the other night though that was killer. I have a problem with ripeness from Priorat and other warmer regions most of the time, so generally I prefer whites to the reds, except for Rioja. What are some of your favorites? I'm certainly open to trying more of them.

I drink plenty of interesting Italian wine in that $20 rage, including a lot of Barbera, Chianti, Pelavarga, Langhe Rosso or Nebbiolo, Roero Arneis, Etna Rosso, Dolcetto, Frappato and occasionally a closeout Rosso di Montalcino. I've seen that Du Cropio and will have to give it a whirl. Enjoy!

9. Cary Grant

Similar experiences here though I has less luck in the $20's with the eyetals. Wholesale on the Du Croppio is around $20 so... I imported 6 wheels of Pecorino di Crotone for the pairing and together they are :slayer:

10. gomestar

+1. Have mostly had whites, with good success. Need to explore more reds.

11. Eustace

I get it. It's like paying $50 for Saint Aubin or Monthelie in Burgundy. Tough to swallow at that price. That said, I've had some pretty fantastic wines that I have been seriously geeking out about from those areas, so to me that's worth $50. Try the Cote du Py from Foillard. It's around $30 and I think you'll find value in it.

12. Eustace

Nice!

13. gomestar

noted, a store not far from me has 4 wines from Foillard. Not the cheaper version, but I'll still pick one up and try it out.

In the interim, if you see some Denis Bachelet "bourgogne rouge", pick up a bottle and tell us your thoughts.

14. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Well-Known Member

Found some of the '09 Bachelet CdN Villages locally the other day. Had been paying $49-53 for it from Premier Cru in Berkeley and having it shipped in. Local place had it for $73 (after the 5% cash discount). I swallowed hard and bought 3 bottles. Already plowed through 2 of them. $73 is just too stiff for a wine I can't seem to control myself around.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2014
  15. gomestar

16. Cary Grant

:tounge:

17. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Well-Known Member

I don't know. It's not like it's a premier or grand Cru or something. At the end of the day it's a (very, very good) village level wine meant to be consumed young, but that will likely still be good for many years. I've been guilty of vinfanticide before but not sure this is a good example of it.

Besides...it's just so yummy.

18. gomestar

also, I need to do some research, but I'm pretty sure this is a single vineyard wine that sits in some village that is just outside of a classification zone. For those not in the know or for those who ignore the "buy the producer not the cru" mantra, this wine would fly right by them. Those in the know, like you, indulge.

This wine takes extremely well to age. All of his wines do.

Last year, a few 2002 "Borgogne Rouge" bottles popped up at Crush, and Manton and I pillaged the store of them. They were amazing, just a great mix of youth and age.

19. gomestar

20. rossoz

rossoz Well-Known Member

How long do you "decant" before drinking?

Cheers