1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Official Wine Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by audiophilia, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

Heis introduced me (and I think Mark) to this grape. It was an awesome bottle.

2. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Well-Known Member

Sitting at the bar at a nice restaurant and just found two misprints in their wine list.

2011 Shafer one point five (half bottle) $32...uh, is this right? No. Should be $72.

2004 d'Yquem for $30 a glass...uh, is this right? No We don't serve that by the glass. It's $255 a half bottle. $30 a glass is for the Mer Soliel Late.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  3. pscolari

pscolari Well-Known Member

Alice & Olivier De Moor is the other producer you should try if you can. Their Plantation 1902 bottling is from 100+ yr old aligote vines and is mind blowing.

1 person likes this.
  4. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Well-Known Member

Got to compare a bottle of 2005 Malvira San Michele to the new 2011. The interest being the 05 was 100 year old vine - which were torn up and replanted. The 11 is the first of the new vines. And you can still find much that is similar in the profile of each. Terroir FTW.

5. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

Cheap bastards should honor the prices anyway.

6. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

+100. Fuck those guys.

7. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Well-Known Member

I kinda thought they might on the Shafer. Figured no chance in hell on the d'Yquem. As it was the bartender poured me an extra glass of red (not the one I ordered which was a $30 a glass Camus) but a Hall, which frankly tasted better). I also ordered a Royal Tokaji for dessert which he wound up comping and then pouring a second glass of.

1 person likes this.
  8. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

Manton, you have any of the Montus yet?

9. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

yeah, I've had it a few times in restaurants and bought some to lay down.

10. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

I had a 2000 about a year ago. It can go for another 2 decades probably.

11. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Well-Known Member

Dinner at a nice BYOB. Look two tables over (date: business bro who wearing a fleece over a dress shirt + hot but bland looking fake blonde) and notice a bottle of Menage a Trois wine sitting on the table. The fake blonde notices that I'm glancing their way and looks at me; I'm embarrassed that I've been scoffing at their supermarket wine like the judgmental asshole I am and I quickly avert my gaze. She totally thought she caught me checking her out.

1 person likes this.
  12. rossoz

rossoz Well-Known Member

eric...,

Too funny! They must have stopped at the grocery store on the way to the restaurant.

Cheers,

13. Piobaire

Tasted through the 2012 Booker line up last night. Really liked The Ripper (100% Grenache), Fracture (100% Syrah), Oublie (Grenache, Counoise, Mourvedre) and The White (Roussanne, Viognier, Petit Manseng, Marsanne).

The Ripper is all about the grape as there's no oak. Light and delicate, red fruit and a hint of mocha. Fracture is very fruit driven with quite a bit of oak. Oublie is like a plush, smooth CdP and a very easy to drink wine that also has some depth to it. No one that's ever tasted this bottling with us has not liked it. Lastly The White has major mouth feel and reminds me of a Didier.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2014
  14. Principle

Principle Well-Known Member

I work part-time at a Vineyard in New England. What do you guys think of New England wines? Can we have this discussion?

15. coolpapa

coolpapa Well-Known Member

I have never had a wine from New England. What grapes are grown there?

16. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

I've had Long Island wines, but never a good one. The Finger Lakes, on the other hand ...

1 person likes this.
  17. Piobaire

Do you guys grow any Baco Noir or other French/New World hybrids?

18. Principle

The big grapes are:

1. Cabernet Franc (grandaddy of Cabernet Sauvignon)
    2. St. Croix (hybridized in Minnesota)
    3. Vignoles (the primary grape in our most popular wine as well as Sauternes-style dessert wine)
    4. Riesling which we pulled from the Finger Lakes
    5. Chardonnay (I know very little about this one)

New England is relatively new to the scene, but according to the generally older customer base we get for the tastings, the wines have improved, a lot.

19. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Well-Known Member

The presence of St. Croix leads me to believe that you have the same issue we have here in Minnesota- very short and highly inconsistent growing seasons. Which lead to (very) sweet wines more often than not.

20. Principle

Our St. Croix red is mellow and fruity, relatively full-bodied to the other reds we produce, but certainly not comparable to the sunny states in terms of fullness. We also make a French-style Rose, fruit-driven and off-dry. I could see what you're saying.