1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Official Wine Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by audiophilia, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Well-Known Member

--

Last edited: Oct 28, 2014
  2. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

3. Cary Grant

Fizzixxored - added to the cellar. 3 of each.

[​IMG]
    The Brunate is 03

Last edited: Oct 28, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  4. gomestar

200 pages into the Mondavi book, and the only thing I've gathered is that every Mondavi is a prick in one way or the other.

Not a whole lot of wine talk.

5. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

For Gomey:
    2008 Paitin di Pasquero-Elia Nebbiolo d'Alba Ca Veja

6. RedLantern

RedLantern Well-Known Member

Anybody have experience with online wine auctions? I've been looking around a little and it seems like a good way to get some interesting stuff, especially well-aged wine. Anyone have a recommendation for a particular site? How does shipping usually work? Would I be better off looking for a west-coast auctioneer to minimize travel of the wine, or does the wine typically ship from different sites?

7. gomestar

probably hitting an age sweet spot right now

8. gomestar

I've looked at a few online auction things but never purchased.

have purchased at live auctions that also had online bidders (Sotheby's). It can be a good place to find interesting wines, but from the top of my head there's a few things I'd consider:

- You're not going to find bangin' deals on Romanee Conte. Shit is expensive regardless.
    - If a wine is "hot", it still might be cheaper at a store (this happened with Raveneau Chablis at the auctions I've attended)
    - Never underestimate the spending power of an international bidder
    - The better the auction house, generally the better the wines have been vetted and assessed for condition (super important).
    - The better the auction house, the higher the premium you'll pay (auction price + premium + tax). Some premiums are like 25%, so factor this in before thinking you got a steal
    - The "deals" tend to be in mixed lots. A perfect case of '96 Chave, and you're fucked, but a lot that contains 3 bottles of '96 Chave (scuffed labels, no seepage, good fill), 2 bottles of '82 Mondavi cab (dirty labels), 6 bottles of No-Name '95 Brunello .... and you'll probably be able to score that on the cheap.

9. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

coolpapa is an expert.

I have used winebid with some success. The K&L site gets some really good wine but their interface is not great. Winebid is much better. All Winebid auctions end on Sunday night, so you'd better be able to tune in then.

10. drkshdw

drkshdw Member

Fili Prosecco is amazing

11. Piobaire

I found the tannins to be a bit too firm and the acid was out of control. I have another bottle (was part of a bulk purchase through a connection) and I plan to use it for braising shorties this winter.

12. gomestar

that means it's too young

Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
  13. Piobaire

Maybe I'll let it hang around a few years then. I opened it last night as a quick search indicated that it was probably time to drink up.

14. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

nebbiolos always have crazy high acid compared to other reds. Feature, not bug. I don't know about this particular wine, but I drink Langhes within 2 years of the vintage and they are fine.

15. gomestar

it's a typical trait of a younger nebbiolo (though 2008 it already has a little time). It's not going to be plush or anything, but grippy tannins and racy acidity suggests it needs to sit for a little. I don't know the producer, but if they make nebbiolo in the "old school" way, then the result is that wine. Nebbiolo will almost always have a big acidic backbone.

which, reminds me, Manton - did that Corino barbera ever open up?

Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
  16. Piobaire

Well the good thing out of all this is that apparently my palate is not as far off as I was starting to think it might be as I apparently called this wine exactly as it's supposed to be.

17. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

last I checked, no. Still have, I think, 8 bottles. It's probably been a year since I tried one, I don't remember. Amazing wine for the price--assuming it ever comes around.

18. pscolari

pscolari Well-Known Member

Pretty amazing that you can buy the '11 locally for $22 from one of the best Burgundy producers. Most people (and producers) totally overlook aligote. Was very fortunate last week to have a small glass of '07 Mersault-Charmes by Roulot. Would bathe in Roulot if I could.

19. Cary Grant

Yup. I prefer them for those qualities.

20. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Well-Known Member

Drinking a relatively cheap ($17 or so) sparking vin de Savoie. It's actually not bad at all as a light, refreshing sparkler. But what I'm enjoying most is that it clocks in at 11 percent, and after having gone through two and a half glasses or so, I feel like I could drink a bucket of this and still be okay. As a boorishly fast drinker/gulper, this is appealing.