1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Official Wine Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by audiophilia, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Very solid bottle. The word "balanced" comes to mind. I'm going to buy more next weekend.

2. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Really remarkable for how this PG handles some age. Very pleasing.

3. Eric Michael

Eric Michael Well-Known Member

Pio, I've got a bottle of this stored. If you're going to buy more, what are your thoughts on its longevity?

4. Eric Michael

Had a bottle of 2011 Cesare Barbera d'Alba and 2005 Chateau Plaisance Cuvee Alix.

The Pio was probably not a typical Barbera, it was much bolder in both fruit and body.
    The bordeaux was really enjoyable, showing some age but still freshness and texture. Would definitely buy again at $26 (LCBO).

5. Piobaire

I am not one of the folks here with extensive experience on aged wines, but IMO, this is a drink now.

6. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

I would imagine if well stored most Cndp can good for quite a while and still be very drinkable, even the drink now's.

7. Piobaire

You're probably correct but I based my opinion on two things.

First, I recently had a 1997 bottle of this. It was dying, on life support. The 1997 was WS WOTF in 1999 or Y2K so you know it was a good vintage. Second is this did not have a lot of fruit. It was very balanced and all I can see is the fruit component going faster than something else and this wonderful wine coming out of balance.

Again, just IMO, and there are several folks here with far more experience with aged wines so I'll bow to anything they say. And then drink that 07 now. ;)

8. coolpapa

coolpapa Well-Known Member

97 wasn't a good year in CdP.

9. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Well-Known Member

Any good 07 should have minimum a decade left.

10. Piobaire

Listen to Cool and isstill not me. They're experience is far, far greater than mine.

11. tattersall

tattersall Well-Known Member

I bought a fair bit of '07 Chateauneuf - the Vieux Telegraphes are great and will live for very long (close in style to La Nerthe fwiw). I'm finding Beaucastel a bit overblown at the moment and prefer their earlier, funkier, vintages.

12. Eric Michael

I've read some good reviews of '09 and '10... don't seem to be quite at the level of the '07s, but that vintage is harder for me to find/buy.
    I'm stocking up on '10s right now. Regarding mid- to upper range CdP, I find there are few other regions in terms of value, that can match.

13. patrickBOOTH

07' is ok, 05' is awesome and allegedly 09' is the best ever. 10' seems very close to 09' but that is just my layman take on it.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
  14. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Well-Known Member

2010 is THE recent vintage to buy from Burgundy and Rhone.

15. Concordia

Concordia Well-Known Member

OK...

16. Piobaire

Yeah, yeah, pile on. I also seem to have a failing memory as it was a 98 that got #7 in 2000.

17. patrickBOOTH

How about Bordeaux? I have had some amazing 2010's recently. Seem pretty close to 2009, imo.

18. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Well-Known Member

Bordeaux very good as well, but just needs sooooo much time. I can drink Village Burgundy and Rhones like St. Joseph and Crozes Hermitage young. Bordeaux just needs so much time for me that I hardly ever touch it before 25 years.

19. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

I loooooove old Bord more than most, but I drink a ton of sub $15 Bord within five years of the vintage. There are some '10s that are just fine right now. They were just not made to age, and priced accordingly. I doubt these low end bottles would even last 25 years. Most can make it 10, but I don't think they get a great deal better.

IME with these cheapies (I have sampled very few upper end '09s or '10s), the '09s are better. Softer, more ready now. Sadly, they're hard to find now. '10s are still everywhere and the '11s are starting to take over. The '11s I've had so far have been pretty meh. For "off" vintages, seems to me like '06-'08 were all better.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
  20. b1os

b1os Well-Known Member

What's the consent on '11 CdP (Vieux Télégraphe)? Obviously still very young, but I've bought it because it was relatively cheap. I'd just like to know whether I should not be overly dismissive towards Vieux Télégraphe just because said bottle doesn't provide.

Had a Izadi Selección 2005 (Rioja) today. Pretty good already, but can definitely use a few more years of cellaring.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 12, 2014