1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Official Wine Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by audiophilia, Jul 20, 2009.

1. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

i have consumed very few spanish wines, most of these have been white, and oaky is not what comes to mind. a lot of them seemed quite similar to Italian whites, maybe a little brighter.

2. b1os

b1os Well-Known Member

@pB: I really hope that they won't make you pay the difference if the other bottles cost 1-2 USD more per bottle.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
  3. b1os

b1os Well-Known Member

My parents lived over a year in Spain and they both can't stand Spanish whites due to their oakiness. That was 15-20 years ago though, maybe things have changed by now. So, if anyone has a really good Spanish white wine to recommend, I'd be grateful.

4. gomestar

i just pick up random albarinos, verdejos, ruedas, etc.

5. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Well-Known Member

The Pares whites are across the board very good. Especially the Blanc de Pas and Calcari.
    I sold about 4 cases of the Can Feixes the past few weeks. Customers kept asking for it FWIW.

There is some truth to old world/new world in Spanish wines and their labels. "Contemporary" labels tend to be more modern in style, oakier, fruit bombs.... I still think Spain is the value to price leader.
    Pares

6. indesertum

indesertum Well-Known Member

There's an oaky style of whites and non oaky style of white. A lot of the Rioja wineries do oak but the rias baixas ones tend not to be oaked. It's good to look up info first tho

How much did you pay for the vieux telegraphe? I saw a bottle at $45 and I thought that was a great deal considering they go for $75

7. b1os

b1os Well-Known Member

I paid 35 €. They usually go for 50 €+. So no 40-50% discount, but still pretty good.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
  8. audiophilia

audiophilia Well-Known Member

Drinking lots of different Chianti Classico Riserva lately. Not a dud among them.

1 person likes this.
  9. Beckwith

Beckwith Well-Known Member

Hit the last bottle sale, got some good bargains and bottles. Some well known stuff to be had ranging from $10 to $500. Fun concept.

10. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Well-Known Member

Recently bought a few bottles of romorantin upon learning that it's now an obscure varietal grown in only one AOC. Opened one and was quickly reminded that interesting wines < delicious wines.

1 person likes this.
  11. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

So true. There's this one shop by me that is filled with these obscure interesting wines, with weird stories behind them and production methods, but dammit sometimes I just want a trusty Lynch Cdr.

12. b1os

b1os Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

This is really delicious. (sorry for the giant pictures..)

13. b1os

b1os Well-Known Member

I've had a sip of the Gonzáles Byass Noé (VORS PX) and Del Duque (VORS Amontillado). Really delicious (and interesting!) stuff.

14. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

I've scored several cheap Riojas lately, with some age (2001, 2004 and 2006). Haven't tasted any of them. Bought them all on faith, but I know the producers, so I think I'll be OK.

15. indesertum

i scored a really cheap clos de la roche from amiot et fils. like $45 for an 8 year old. probably going to open it for my brothers graduation

1 person likes this.
  16. gomestar

No

17. indesertum

Eh. It was a great price from a good vintage and a good producer and Allen meadows gave it a thumbs up. Not going to pass it up

Last edited: Apr 26, 2014
  18. b1os

b1os Well-Known Member

Kracher Eiswein '11. Yummy!

19. b1os

b1os Well-Known Member

Quite possible. Especially true for sherry--flies under the radar and punches well above its weight (that is, if you like sherry).

20. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

well, not be pedantic but ... since all sherry is from Spain, tautologically, that must be true.