1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Official Wine Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by audiophilia, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Warren G.

Warren G. Well-Known Member

Hey guys, usually a lurker, but I love this thread.

Friend just randomly gift me a few bottles.

[​IMG]

2. b1os

b1os Well-Known Member

Tina Pfaffmann Herzglück '11 Riesling. Pretty decent.

3. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

You mean as in, use it in a sauce or for a braise? I've never cooked with rose, but I'd be interested to hear what you do and how you like it.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  4. b1os

b1os Well-Known Member

Yeah, I often use wine I don't like at all for cooking. Sure, it'd taste better with a better wine, but it works out decently and favors my budget.

I might cook a batch of Bolognese with it (bottle of rosé instead of white wine). Thoughts?

5. Mr Melanzane

Mr Melanzane Well-Known Member

2011, Quis Montepulciano D'Abruzzo, DOP

6. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

worth a try. glad to see you understand that Bol is made with white and not red.

7. b1os

b1os Well-Known Member

The Bolognese is cooking now. Went with 3:1 beef and pork.

Currently drinking Antinori bianco. Good as always. Very good value, imo.

Has anyone had the '07 Masi Costasera Amarone? I think I've sampled it a while back and thought it was interesting. Not sure whether I'm the biggest fan of Amarone since they seem to be very big wines, but since I've never had a bottle, I've just ordered three (at 22 € per bottle it seemed foolish not to gain some insight into Amarone).

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  8. b1os

b1os Well-Known Member

Il Bruciato - Guado al Tasso - Bolgheri - Antinori - 2009 ; very enjoyable, bold, full body, silky-ish tannins. Needs some breathing.

9. indesertum

indesertum Well-Known Member

2003 Lopez de heredia vina gravonia

[​IMG]

Omg oak galore but the acidity is still shimmering. Whatever that means. The first word that popped into my head. Really good with this shakshuka

Came with a tondonia cork tho

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
  10. indesertum

indesertum Well-Known Member

I've been reading about a Slovenian style of fruili wines and one of the shops I frequent had a bottle of radikon slatnik. It's an oak bomb. It's an orange wine from mostly Chardonnay, 3 month maceration, barrel aged for a year, no sulfur. 13% alcohol. I am hesitant to call it a good wine. It's big and brash. Certainly is unique but at most I would only want a glass of it. I think the acidity is better balanced than the heredia gravonia. That one the acid was disjarring and didn't match up with the oak very well.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  11. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Well-Known Member

Drinking some Ser Lapo Chianti Classico 2009. Not bad. Probably too young.

Potentially stupid question alert: so what, exactly, is the deal with Chianti? I know its image suffered tremendously because of those funny straw-covered flagon thingies; perhaps its name is still associated with fava beans and cannibalism. But I guess I just kind of think of them as decent, serviceable wines with a good bit of acidity. Is that about right? Or still unjustly maligned?

12. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Well-Known Member

Been drinking a vertical of Sottimano Cottá this weekend. 01-04-07. Beautiful.

13. Cary Grant

For makers who care, Chianti can be beautiful, approachable. I love Sangiovese in General and good chianti :swoon:

I've probably gone through two cases of the Fontaleoni Colli Senesi this year.

14. b1os

b1os Well-Known Member

I like Chianti too. Antinori's Chianti Classico is highly enjoyable, for example, though there's obviously less expensive good Chianti.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  15. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

I've been raving about that $7 a bottle case of Folonari for a year now. I like Sangiovese in general too. I think Chianti suffers from two things. First, there has been a crap ton of plonk in those wicker cased bottles. Second, and this includes me, Old World wines still suffer lack of understanding among the majority of New World wine drinkers due to Europe being about place whereas all of the New World is about type of grape.

I'm going to leave this here and looking forward to see what people like Slew have to say: http://punchdrink.com/articles/the-rise-of-the-american-somm/

16. aravenel

aravenel Well-Known Member

Will keep my eye out for the Folonari. Wife is increasingly unenthused by my wine budget, so I'm on the lookout for budget weekday drinkers.

17. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Well-Known Member

+1, except substitute "girlfriend and own conscience" for "wife"

1 person likes this.
  18. chrisbunnington

chrisbunnington Active Member

I'm a big Chianti fan. There are many very good bottlings that are criminally undervalued, firstly because people are used to straw bottle Chianti, and secondly, the name just doesn't carry much prestige alongside the other great Italian wines. But there's lots of great wines out there, and lots of great values from the bottom up. The best are structured and somewhat sinewy, and tend to have lots of acid and aggressive tannins- definitely not a mass appeal style. But they're great food wines and can get very interesting with some age.

Think of it this way- when people talk about Bordeaux, for the most part they're used to talking about all of the classed growths, garagistes and other sought after wines, forgetting that those are a drop in the bucket, and there's hundreds and hundreds of other producers, the majority of them making very cheap wine. I see Chianti as the opposite, I get the impression that most people think of Chianti as being bottle after bottle of cheap quaffing wine, and just can't believe that there's anything beyond that. I run into it all the time at work. Selling bottles of Brunello for $160 is easy, and that's just about where Brunello starts on our list. But offer someone a bottle of Felsina's Rancia over that, which is 155 on our list, and it's just not happening. And naturally, any 50 or 60 dollar Chianti we ever get, just sells and sells.

19. Cary Grant

Restaurant? You're selling Felsina Berardanga Rancia for 4-5x's average retail?

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  20. chrisbunnington

chrisbunnington Active Member

Welcome to Ontario, land of obscene government markups... Our cost on that bottle was just over $60.
    I just checked how much that wine costs in the states... Oh man. Less than we pay for Felsina Chianti Classico...