1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Official Wine Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by audiophilia, Jul 20, 2009.

1. indesertum

indesertum Well-Known Member

2. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

A nice array. What did you find off putting about the Peay?

3. wiredrob

wiredrob Member

The Peay was a lighter style. No earthiness, instead a very bright taste, even after a couple of hours. After drinking the others and then circling back to the Peay, it was almost candy sweet. I was really surprised as in the past I have liked Peay, but a side by side comparison can be very revealing.

This tasting was assembled to expand my horizons into top notch Sonoma and good burgundies. BTW all the wines came from Amanti Vino in Montclair, NJ and they were great help in advising and supplying.

4. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Well-Known Member

That's weird to me. I think Peay is incredible. DuMol is like Pinot on steroids to me.

5. wiredrob

wiredrob Member

I too have liked Peay, in fact I've visited their wine production facility which was a great experience. This bottle was from the Pomarium vineyard, a first for me. The difference was only noticeable in side by side comparison with the other 5 wines, all of which had a very different taste profile.

6. Huntsman

Huntsman Well-Known Member

I am in a temporary period of needing to be very thrifty, but the other day wanted some wine and did not have access to my captain, so I stopped at some random store I saw and headed for the Italian section as pasta was in the offing and a decent Nero or Sangiovese can be very inexpensive. I wound up with a Montepulciano d' Abruzzo from Capestrano (I think I've had their Chianti and hate it), but this was really great for it's $8 price tag. Remarkable.

I was reading a WS in a hospital waiting room today, I recall a tasting of some Musigny. It was 5k. I did not read it.

7. Piobaire

Huh. I've never come across a candy sweet Peay. In fact, Vanessa tends to build them sort of brawny so you need to give them far more age than a typical Sonoma, plus they are in northern Sonoma and additionally they are part of that passel of winemakers in a pact to develop wines with finesse. Interesting.

8. wiredrob

wiredrob Member

To clarify, the Peay seemed sweet only when compared to the other 5 wines. Tasting it in isolation did not show this (at least to me, and I'm not an expert taster.)

9. Piobaire

That's still interesting. I mean, you tasted what you tasted and that's valid, but I have always found Peay to be much leaner than most RRVs and leaning towards French style. I had an 04 Peay Syrah last Friday, can't remember if it was La Bruma or Les Titans, but it was full of barnyard upon open and a pretty muscular wine.

Nice line up and glad you posted it.

10. Hannerhan

Hannerhan Well-Known Member

My name finally came up on the Carlisle list and I'm supposed to get an allocation next week. Anyone have thoughts on must-haves, or other general thoughts on the winery that would be useful? I have only had a couple of their bottles and those were ~4-5 years ago (about when I signed up for the list).

11. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

i hate wine mailing lists.

i realize this is of no help to you.

12. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

You love Crush's mailing list though. I find them so damn wordy.

13. patrickBOOTH

On the subject of rose is there a way to tell if it is a white blended with a red vs. minimal skin contact during fermentation? Is one method superior to the other, or do they both have their goods and bads?

14. gomestar

i don't mean that, but rather wineries who will only sell their shit to a few people (their mailing list), and you have to buy X amount of stuff every year to stay on, else no more wine for you.

15. patrickBOOTH

16. gomestar

i don't know of a way. Nor do I think one is better than the other.

It's surprising how little red is needed to make a rose. The other weekend, I was drinking crap wines, and I finished my glass of red and poured white directly into the same glass. To my surprise, it was quite pink.

17. patrickBOOTH

On the inside, they are all pink.

18. patrickBOOTH

Last edited: Jun 27, 2013
  19. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Well-Known Member

2007 El Coto Rioja (Crianza)

Tasty, especially with dinner of castelveltrano olives, Spanish chorizo, Idiazabal....

1 person likes this.
  20. b1os

b1os Well-Known Member

Is it really good? It's common supermarket wine over here, often discounted to ~5€. Should I give it a try?