1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Official Wine Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by audiophilia, Jul 20, 2009.

1. coolpapa

coolpapa Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

The Chasse Spleen is surprisingly youthful and has a wonderful nose and bright red cherry on the palate. Very unexpected. Should be great with rib steak later this evening. Haven't tried the 95 Neyers yet, it was rumored to be from declassified Araujo Eisele fruit.

2. Hampton

Hampton Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

4. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Well-Known Member

Epic night last night:

2001 R Rieussec
    1982 Latour
    1982 DRC La Tache
    1982 Rieussec
    2001 Rieussec

I brought the '01s and my friend brought the '82s, fair, no?

5. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

6. drizzt3117

Tonight, sea smoke vertical tasting :)

7. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

wtf is going on this weekend???

8. b1os

b1os Well-Known Member

^Word. Back to plebeian wine:

[​IMG]

From right to left:
    The 1479 Albus Cuvée is drinking fine. Great value for 5.50€. Prominent fruit.
    The Regaleali Rosso Sicilia was ok. Winery of the year (Gambero Rosso). I prefer other wines for 8€. But it's definitely fine.
    The Chianti is ok, too. Solid.
    Domäne Wachau's entry level (I think) veltliner is a good bet for 8€. Not any "spritz" like you get from some younger veltliner but good (nonetheless?).
    Dr. Bürklin-Wolf's Riesling is drinking fine, too. Got it with 25% discount for 7€ and it's pretty good for that money. Full bodied, nice acidity, pleasant fruit. Would buy again. Plus it's from the region where I was born.

What's the strong flavor called in the aftertaste of most white wines? Gamey?

Last edited: Aug 19, 2012
  9. gomestar

their entry level Riesling is really nice. I had it last weekend for $20, and i would buy again

not sure, but rare is the white wine whose aftertaste Id describe as gamey

10. b1os

b1os Well-Known Member

^I just bought their veltliner because Piob spoke highly of them. Also bought their mid (or high?) -end one, Smaragd Kellerberg. Looking forward to it.

Which Riesling did you have? I think they all have terroirs in their name. The cheapest ones are like 8€ here (Federspiel Terrassen), which I guess is definitely a good value if you liked it for 20$.

Gamey may be the wrong word, but most of the white wines I've had have a "strong" note in the aftertaste that is sort of unique, imo. Some have it more, some less, but most do. Maybe that note is called "white wine".

11. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Well-Known Member

Unless it's a Sauvignon blanc it's probably minerality I recall in the finish of most whites.

12. drizzt3117

Had dinner with a nice older guy who was the buyer for one of orange county's biggest wine shops for years; his cellar is just absurd.

13. Quatsch

Quatsch Well-Known Member

I don't know what kind of whites you're drinking, but you could be describing a phenolic character. If you are particularly sensitive to it, you might find it in lots of whites. Everyone has certain predispositions in tasting - some people are sensitive to Brett, some people like it, for some it's oxidation or sulfur, etc.

14. Edgein

Edgein Well-Known Member

With Riesling I find a petroleum taste in some young wines. Haven't had a gamey flavor except for certain red Burg's and Rhone's.

15. gomestar

fixed for me

16. indesertum

indesertum Well-Known Member

I'm at this sommelier class at Fci in soho and I feel young and underdressed

17. gomestar

18. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Greatest bottle of champs I have ever tasted, hands down.

So, as to the '68 Rioja, very interesting wine. I don't mean that as a back-handed complement, it was delicious, but interesting in several ways. First, it was clearly "old wine" but not an old bottle. The cork was pristine, the bottle looked brand new, and the there was zero sediment. So, this wine had to be aged somewhere else and then recently bottled. Knowing, basically, nothing about Rioja, I have no idea how this works but I have never heard of the frogs or the Napans doing it so maybe it's a Spanish thing.

It was fully mature, a bit bricky at the edges, tannins gone but otherwise surprisingly youthful. None of the "bad" signs of aging. Really, just perfect and even a bit light compared to other Riojas I have had but of course I have never had one even close to this old. In fact, my experience with them has been largely negative since all the ones I have ever had have been really young and pitch black and tight and tannic and basically undrinkable.

19. gomestar

I have some of that Champs in my cellar - is it ready? I've been holding off.

20. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

Who are your lecturers?

Remember to spit!