1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Official Wine Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by audiophilia, Jul 20, 2009.

1. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Well-Known Member

Merry Edwards SB.

1 person likes this.
  2. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Well-Known Member

Picked up a bottle of 2005 Priorat I'd never heard of, on sale at the local wine store for $20. Pretty tasty, and it turns out it was a pretty good deal. Will have to snag the last bottle tomorrow.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2012
  3. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

Family sent some fresh caught then frozen walleye fillets to us. We'll be pan frying it, and inspired by heismatt, a bottle of Merry SB.

4. coolpapa

coolpapa Well-Known Member

Is Peter Knez the winemaker at Knez or did he hire someone to do that?

5. Edgein

Edgein Well-Known Member

Pio, Try some cornflakes with your walleye. Smashed or purchased that way of course. A guide in Lake of the Woods served them that way to me many years ago. Yum!

6. Piobaire

Guide? I call the guides I know in northern Ontario "family."

Last edited: Aug 5, 2012
  7. Quatsch

Quatsch Well-Known Member

He's the owner. The wines are made by Anthony Filiberti, who is also involved in Anthill Farm.

8. coolpapa

Yep, I knew he was the owner, I used to work with him, but I wasn't sure if he was making the wines himself. He's not a winemaker by trade.

9. Quatsch

Quatsch Well-Known Member

Ah, sorry. As far as I know he isnt involved in the actual winemaking. He came in while we were tasting. Seems an interesting fellow.

10. tattersall

tattersall Well-Known Member

As they say in Ontariario, that's a good eatin' fish.
    We arrive in Muskoka on Thursday and I'm really looking forward to some pickerel.

1 person likes this.
  11. Piobaire

Nothing beats a real shore lunch.

12. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Drinking amazingly, after 30 min this was singing, so much fruit! However this was unquestionably a Pinot, a lil hot initially but after half an hour it was very integrated with a really nice finish.

13. Hampton

Hampton Well-Known Member

Aha, never heard of this. Glad you enjoyed it!

14. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Well-Known Member

I actually had dinner with the winemaker, Adam Lee, at L'Etoile in Madison, it was an absolutely fabulous meal and fun to hear his anecdotes about wine and life in general. Siduri/Novy is one of my favorite producers, I have probably 8-9 cases of their stuff in the cellar. Their flagship wine is the Pisoni which IMO is up there with Merry Edwards, Marcassin, Sea Smoke, and Kosta Browne and the best Oregon producers.

15. Piobaire

Adam and his wife Dianna are considered old guard in CA Pinot and are very well known by anyone into CA Pinot. Their Siduri label is their original label and is only Pinots. They started off that company on their own (after requesting and being denied loans from the family) and that company met with great success. Suddenly they had family investors. They kept Siduri for themselves and created Novy Family to market non-Pinot varietals. I quite enjoy their Syrah. At the winery only, Siduri has a few small lot non-Pinot bottlings though, Viognier being the prime one and it is very good. As I said though, that's only at the winery.

Adam is considered a mentor by many of the newer Pinot producers, Brian Loring (Loring Wines) and the guy behind AP Vin, probably being the best known of his protegees.

Cargasacchi is a great vineyard in the Santa Rita hills and I've enjoyed efforts from several winemakers, Adam included. The 07 is a great effort.

16. coolpapa

Adam is a DIY winemaker who has had an interesting career. He used to post on a wine board I frequented in the mid-late 90s when he was just starting out and it's been interesting to watch his progress over the ensuing couple of decades. He's set a great example for a handful of other DIY winemakers, guys who didn't go to Davis and aren't formally trained as winemakers. Good to see him have success, he's a really nice guy.

17. Hampton

Hampton Well-Known Member

Looks like I must try this out :)

18. Piobaire

19. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Well-Known Member

Not my fav by any stretch but Siduri is certainly a nice Pinot.

20. Piobaire

They will always hold a fond place in my mind because they were one of the first "better" wines I moved to when I made the leap to quality. While his pricing is usually pretty good I've noticed my tastes have moved more to northern Sonoma, Oregon, and France...although I'm still not a Franco-phile and will always look on brett as something I would prefer in near undetectable levels. :laugh: