1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Official Wine Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by audiophilia, Jul 20, 2009.

1. RedLantern

RedLantern Well-Known Member

If anybody koppes the 2012 Covington cellars Sangiovese from FP, it's great. It has a kind of unusual grape fruity type bitterness in the mid palate which is interesting.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
  2. ArchieGoodwin

ArchieGoodwin Active Member

Guys,

I'm in San Diego for a month. Can you give me like four or five wines that I should try?

3. EvanNole

EvanNole Well-Known Member

Accidental pseudo-vertical last night. Neighbor invited us to dinner. Neither of us knew what wine the other would pull out from his cellar, but as it turns out we went with neighboring chateaux. The 1992 was mine, and for an off year it was still very good, just a bit thin. The 2000 was his and it was excellent, as was his Sauternes.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. tropics

tropics Well-Known Member

are you going to give any more of a hint?

1 person likes this.
  5. Forum Troll

Forum Troll Active Member

19625 Gilman Springs Road Gilman Hot Springs, Cali
    [​IMG]
    2010 Domaine Santa Duc Gigondas.

1 person likes this.
  6. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Well-Known Member

Burgundy on sale at the Wine Exchange
    BURG20 for 20% off

1 person likes this.
  7. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

Decanted way longer than I usually do, three hours. Dark stone fruit, a bunch of leather, portabella mushroom, meaty. The tannins are very strong but not over-steeped tea, just really strong. This received huge reviews from all the pros but I think it has a flaw and that is the alcohol is just too high. Bottle says 15.8% so I'm saying 16+. I have six more.

[​IMG]

8. venividivicibj

Wow, 15.8 is high, especially as you can mark .5% lower than it actually is

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
  9. Piobaire

Yeah, if it just had less alcohol, this wine would have been perfect. As it is the alcohol is distracting.

Oh, forgot to mention, I barrel tasted this when we were lucky enough to spend a few hours with Justin. That's sort of cool for me.

10. venividivicibj

That's pretty cool- never done that. Big difference from barrel?

11. Piobaire

TBH, it was a few years ago, and we were doing so damn much barrel tasting and tasting in general...can't remember. The big memory from that session was the Grenache from the G2 block. Whole cluster and it was lovely.

12. Krish the Fish

Krish the Fish Well-Known Member

Finally got my wine locker organized (and got my wine out of the FP shipping boxes that took up a ton of space). I ended up upgrading from a top-half unit (15 case capacity they say) to a full size unit (27) and got 9 Weinboxes for the locker. I was searching and searching for the right thing, and stumbled upon a Wine Berserker post about them. I looked them up and they're exactly what I need: modular (made of plastic, arrive flat and stack up to 6 or 7 high), fit a full case, even Bordeaux bottles, and have a small footprint 19x10.5x10 (length x width x height). Plus they have a slot for labels if you want to label them or use CT bin labels for them.

Also, finished up my supplemental Repris order for the April delivery; took the max allotment along with 3 more of the 2015 Sauvignon Blanc for my girlfriend and 3 more of the 2014 Moon Mountain Cabernet for myself. I also have a half-case of 2013 Monte Bello waiting for me to pick up on my way home on Wednesday, picked up a 2010 Monte Bello when I was at the store last week, and my most recent full pull orders are on their way. So the 9 Weinboxes will be pretty much full by the time next week comes around, unfortunately or not.

IMG_0105.JPG
    IMG_0107.JPG

13. venividivicibj

Boxes look really clean. Much nicer than the corrugated cardboard I've been using haha.

Where did you get yours? I see them offered from Domaine, and then direct, but direct doesnt have a price until you go through the whole process.

I remember looking at these as well.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017 at 4:51 PM
  14. Krish the Fish

Krish the Fish Well-Known Member

I went through Domaine. They shipped to me from St. Louis, so it got to my front door within 2 days of shipping (and shipped right away, I ordered on Saturday and they had it on its way on Monday).

I thought about the storvinos too but I wanted to be able to put a full case in them, which is why I nixed that idea.

There's a little give on the Weinbox walls, but the fact that they stack and lock in whilst stacking gives the box a bit more structural rigidity so I am not worried about the idea of one of them breaking and crushing a full case of wine, which was a concern of mine. I was honestly looking for wood boxes that would lay the bottles flat and that I could stack up, but these will work better for me and make it a ton easier to access bottles at the bottom since each box has a door that allows access to the wine inside without pulling the entire case out.

And the Weinbox website has them stacked up 8 high which is nice to know that I can do that within my locker. I have the two stacks now butted up against the side of the other so that they'd have a bit more support as well, but I don't anticipate any issues other than an earthquake or something unforeseen along those lines.

15. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

Oh so v bulletin code doesn't work anymore for pics? *sigh*