1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Official Wine Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by audiophilia, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

Been loving that Lieu Dit since I tried it a couple years ago.

2. Piobaire

This is a Parker 100 and WS 94. Super deep purple in colour, very powerful but light in the mouth. Cassis, blackberry, licorice, chocolate, baking spices and orange rind. Really velvety and plush. If you see this on a wine list and want something powerful yet smooth this is your pick.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  3. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Well-Known Member

Had this today. Lots of spices coming through, chewy tannins, very easy to drink. Can tell this is Oregon and not California. Will improve with age.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  4. Principle

Principle Well-Known Member

Okay the theme this week is Chablis, Gruner, Pinot Grigio. I appreciated all the suggestions last week, again i am not really informed about good producers for the above and would love direction.

5. venividivicibj

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  6. edmorel

edmorel Well-Known Member

Restocked my little kitchen wine fridge today:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
    8 people like this.
  7. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

8. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Well-Known Member

It turns out that the former winemaker at Beaux Freres is the brother-in-law of someone I know pretty well. And according to my Facebook feed, the guy left Beaux Freres to start up his own husband-and-wife wine venture:

http://hundredsunswine.com/

They're taking early orders and shipping out their first batch ever in early April. No info to be found on any of these wines (other than the brother-in-law I know declaring them to be delicious). But I'm going to take a gamble not just as a personal favor but since $28 for Willamette Pinot ($42 for the single vineyard) seems like a good deal.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
  9. RedLantern

RedLantern Well-Known Member

2010 Veglio Barbaresco from FP tonight. Surprised to see a significant amount of bricking - is it uncommon for a barbaresco to be showing bricking at 7 years?

10. Piobaire

Not sure how he pulled this off but last night the three wine tasting flight for $20 was this:

[​IMG]

The Ulysses 2012 is the first vintage on this project by Christian Moueix (Dominus.) Hard to believe but this is wine is ready to drink. Very full bodied and dense, blueberry, graphite, cassis and floral. Retailing for $180 or so. The Patricia Green was a stellar Oregon Pinot. The middle wine was an odd blend, like an American Super Tuscan.

11. Piobaire

Anybody get in on the Mosel wines this week?

12. venividivicibj

From fass? I'm out, but only because I already have 3+ cases of '15 Riesling. Supposed to be an epic vintage

13. Piobaire

I need to buy more good Riesling.

In other news next Saturday we're headed over to our elderly friend's place for lunch and to buy some of his wines. This could be expensive, but they were part of the group with us Friday night, and he indicated he wanted to sell us stuff at pennies on the acquisition price. It will be an interesting lunch.

14. jcman311

jcman311 Well-Known Member

Gofundme?

1 person likes this.
  15. Forum Troll

Forum Troll Active Member

19625 Gilman Springs Road Gilman Hot Springs, Cali
    Is this the stash that includes some SQN that you mentioned in an earlier post? Good hunting.

16. Piobaire

Indeed. He also told me on Friday he has an inventory of BV de Latour Private Reserve and CdPs I need to look at. He has Amarones by the case such as several case vintages of Dal Forno Romano Vigneto di Monte Lodoletta (della Valpolicella). I might come home with nothing though...one never knows.

17. Forum Troll

Forum Troll Active Member

19625 Gilman Springs Road Gilman Hot Springs, Cali
    CdP's are always a favorite for me. Some stellar age worthy stuff for a fraction of the price of other more well liked Appellations in France.

18. Piobaire

Mrs. Piob is a Grenache fiend so I'm sure I'll be coming home with some of those.

19. Piobaire

Had this tonight. For a $20'ish dollar bottle this is a very good value.

[​IMG]

20. dwlbu

dwlbu Well-Known Member

Anyone ever tasted Chateau Kirwan? Wine Library has a pretty attractive futures price of $34.99 w/ free shipping for the Kirwan 14s. I've never bought en premier before but looked like a solid deal on 3rd growth juice from Margaux.