1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Official Wine Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by audiophilia, Jul 20, 2009.

1. RedLantern

RedLantern Well-Known Member

Back from France today. Interesting to note differences in wine culture. Lots of places have a TON of glass pours, but I can't imagine that everything sells fast enough to keep things in good condition. Lots of good wine is inexpensive - majority of many lists was in the 20-30 euro range. In a lot of ways wine is a big deal (it's kind of expected to order some), but also not a big deal - treated much more like a beverage and less like a luxury/treat.

I laughed at myself when we went to Paul Bocuse for dinner. They don't have a wine list online, but I had basically decided ahead of time that I was looking for a bottle of (hopefully aged) demi-sec/off dry Vouvray, given what we were going to be eating. The somm comes by and hands me this Tome so I just tell him what I have in mind and he says they only have one demi sec Vouvray and points it out to me. It was $50. I kind of panic, because thats probably the cheapest bottle on their list and I don't want to be that guy, so I look for a minute, but decided to go with that I'd thought about ahead of time, price be damned. It was fantastic and exactly what I was looking for (maybe not quite as aged/nutty as I'd dreamed, but very very good). Used the unexpected wine budget savings for a couple more glasses of champagne and after dinner sauternes (wife) and calvados (me). I was going to go with cognac, but there were some really weird and esoteric looking calvados on there that I figured I'd never see the like of again.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
    3 people like this.
  2. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

Will have with dinner tonight.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  3. indesertum

indesertum Well-Known Member

I thought you didn't like sea smoke

Or wait was that just me

4. CBrown85

CBrown85 Well-Known Member

"please bring us your second-cheapest bottle of wine" *tugs at collar*

1 person likes this.
  5. CBrown85

Local restaurant wants $60 for a glass of the 2012. Enjoy it.

6. coolpapa

coolpapa Well-Known Member

I'm not a fan of Sea Smoke but that is fucking El Oh El.

7. Piobaire

So a little over a decade ago a bottle of Sea Smoke was an "ah huh" bottle for me. This was a nice bottle of wine but would not qualify for that with me any more. Eight years on and no longer the huge fruit bomb it once was but still notes of dried cherries, raspberries, smoke, light pepper, lavender and clove. Tannins were silky and mature, and acid, while not flabby certainly not beyond moderate minus. One of the last bottles before I stopped buying Sea Smoke.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  8. djblisk

djblisk Well-Known Member

I have a bunch of bottles coming from the latest Sea Smoke offering.

Any advice on cellaring time?

9. Eric Michael

Eric Michael Well-Known Member

I bought a bottle of this at the LCBO this past weekend for $40.
    I don't have any experience with 10+ year old Bordeaux so I thought I should try it as it was reasonably priced.
    Chatted with the rep before buying and he advised that it was definitely passed the fresh fruit stage and into more tertiary dried fruit flavours and forest floor.
    He advised to decant no loner than 15 minutes, so I'm guessing that the wine is nearing its end.

Anyways, looking forward to trying it and intend to remove all those thoughts from my mind when tasting.

1 person likes this.
  10. CBrown85

That's not much of a decanting period. I'll try it this weekend. There seems to still be a lot of it around here so if it's good I'll get a couple more. It's always nice to have something with some age on it when everything else seems super young.

11. Piobaire

Just reviewing some of my orders waiting for shipping. Back in June I bought a case of library Kutch Pinots, 2011 and 12. Man, cannot wait to get them soon.

12. Eric Michael

Let me know what you think of it!
    I agree but I believe the producer is mid-tier and "quirky" as the rep explained, so maybe there wine doesn't have the ability for longer aging.
    Anyways, only one way to find out.

13. dwlbu

dwlbu Well-Known Member

you may actually want to just open the bottle 30 minutes before serving and not decant.

14. Piobaire

WTF happened to this guy?

[​IMG]

15. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Well-Known Member

Does purely marketing/consulting now.

He's done two episodes lately though (about 2 months apart) and has commented that his palate has changed (he likes oaky chardonnays now, etc)

The store is still there

Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
  16. dwlbu

dwlbu Well-Known Member

LOL! I used to buy occasionally from WL, but I'm starting to get really sick of their "blowout deal of the century" emails for high margin shit wine where you only get the discounted price if you buy a case.

17. Eric Michael

Thanks for the idea. I would have done that, only the wine has a lot of sediment in it so I'm going to strain through cheese cloth into a smaller decanter.

1 person likes this.
  18. Krish the Fish

Krish the Fish Well-Known Member

How does shipping work for FP? I have a case worth of wine that is "ready for pickup/shipment", and what looks like another case of wine that's allocated and will be ready to be shipped soon. Do they just ship it when I have a case ready to go, and they charge me? Or do they wait for me to email them about shipping? I just want to know if I have to let them know to ship

19. CBrown85

Why is this? Tannins already mellow enough?

20. dwlbu

dwlbu Well-Known Member

That's true, also the fruit begins to subdue with bottle age, and if you decant too long you can start to lose the fruit quickly. However, what Eric mentioned about decanting to remove sediment makes perfect sense - older Bordeauxs tend to have a fair amount of sediment.