1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Official Vintage Clothing and Accessories Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, Dec 23, 2012.

1. Coal_Mining_Polak

Coal_Mining_Polak Well-Known Member

+1 Don't let the myopic SF Groupthink blind you, HSM made very high-quality menswear through the 1960's.

That first sport coat still looks very 50's, the end of the line for that structured shoulder & patch-pocket look! Though, it's not unusual.

Those 30's suits could fit right into the 70's, other than the fact that they're well made. The cyclical nature of fashion is still amusing! I'd also agree not to alter the pants. The suit was cut in a particular way and should stay, especially considering its age.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2014
  2. Tweedy

Tweedy Well-Known Member

The CC in CC41 stands for "Civilian Clothing", you can read more about it here http://www.1940.co.uk/acatalog/an-introduction-to-utility-clothing.html :)

1 person likes this.
  3. Snoogz

Snoogz Well-Known Member

Well, personally I still think HSM's Gold Trumpeter line is quality enough for me. The fabric is great year around, and the patterns and cut match up well for me.

And I want to also chime in to say, don't alter those pants! So long as you think they are in original form at the moment, I'd be very cautious to alter anything at this time. They are a beauty, and a very very RARE one at that.

4. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Well-Known Member

Pictures to come later of the Magill Fedora I just picked up for $4!

5. mack11211

mack11211 Well-Known Member

Dept of "The Good Old Days -- They Were Terrible!"

An illustration from a story in the Spring 1933 Apparel Arts on how your shirts may be sewn with contract prison labor.

Chain Gang Tailor, anyone?

[​IMG]

Now listed here.

6. s_allen_p

s_allen_p Well-Known Member

I guess it would be a shame to alter the pants. I won't mention what I was looking into doing if slimming them down wasn't going to work. Unfortunately, the suit, as is, is unwearable; but I did buy them without even considering they might fit me.

Speaking of well made, I turned the collar up on an old coat I came across a couple of days ago to see this:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It was a beautiful coat, but there were stains that looked like blood on the back, and I didn't have the space to store it at the time. I just sold a similar size coat, so now there's an opening, and if it's still there the next time I'm back, I may not be able to resist.

1 person likes this.
  7. suited

suited Well-Known Member

Anybody know what the hell this thing is called? Savile Row, dated 1952 (I assume it's a female piece)...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 17, 2014
  8. comrade

comrade Well-Known Member

Looks like a riding coat.

1 person likes this.
  9. FaceOfBoh

FaceOfBoh Well-Known Member

And with Esq. on the tag it's certainly not for a woman.

10. Coal_Mining_Polak

Looks like a riding coat, things that us blue collar folks know nothing about... :p

Though it 'tis the end of the hearty woolen coat season, I couldn't resist this Aquascutum:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 17, 2014
    2 people like this.
  11. comrade

comrade Well-Known Member

You seem to have risen above your (regretable) station and shown excellent taste.
    That's a great coat.

1 person likes this.
  12. suited

suited Well-Known Member

Thank you both. The name didn't strike me as female, but the garment itself looked feminine, but its shape makes more sense picturing it as a riding coat.

13. s_allen_p

s_allen_p Well-Known Member

A few more I've been able to pull out and photograph in more detail, including the coat that I posted a couple of under the collar pics of a few posts back.

Very heavy coat. Can't find anything on the designer, and no tags besides the one pictured:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

d'Avenza silk jacket. 70's?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

A giant Hickey Freeman. It was hard to capture the design of it on my small mannequin.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3 people like this.
  14. Coal_Mining_Polak

All of those are quite excellent. The paisley jacket looks early 70's, as the lapels are not offensive enough to be any later. It also looks like a 3/2 roll front, unbutton that top button!!!

Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
  15. KamoteJoe

KamoteJoe Well-Known Member

First post on this thread! I really love vintage clothing (probably more workwear oriented) and all of you guys are killing it with the pieces being posted here. Boy would I love a Saville Row constructed tux dating to the 40s/50s. I hope I can contribute as I continue thrifting and vintage hunting in the future. Anyway, I picked up this moto jacket off of ebay for pretty cheap, was listed as a heavy motorcycle jacket and I was lucky that no one outbid me. The maker is Branded Leather based in Long Island, not too much information around but I was hoping maybe you guys could help me date this piece? Discontinued model with Scovill zippers, there are no tags on the jacket.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Zippers
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Well-Known Member

That's gorgeous. Those lapels - looks like something up @SpooPoker's alley. And some amazing shaping work in the chest and waist!

I'm no expert on leather jackets, but that doesn't look very old to me. Without seeing labels or anything, I'd guess it's not more than about 30 years old at most.

17. jefferyd

jefferyd Well-Known Member

From the Hart Schaffner & Marx archives. There are over 75 garments- hopefully they will all be properly photographed soon.

During the war the factory was repurposed to make uniforms for the military; some of the items predate the company (which was founded in 1887) and we are trying to figure out where they came from.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10 people like this.
  18. Orgetorix

Oh, WOW!!! That's the most incredible post I've seen. I'd give my eyeteeth to own some of that stuff.

@jefferyd please post more pictures and details!

1 person likes this.
  19. eazye

eazye Well-Known Member

Holy smokes! Were you contacted by HS&M to go through their archives?

20. Orgetorix

He's a tailor and patternmaker who currently works for HSM, I believe.