1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Official Vintage Clothing and Accessories Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, Dec 23, 2012.

1. Guitar Preacher

Guitar Preacher Well-Known Member

Feel free to delete this Spoo if it does not adhere to the thread and I will not be butthurt. This happens to be the second item I've sold to the Madison Ave. office of Ralph Lauren if that has any meaning. I did come across my first Savile Row find the other day which I need to photograph and it will make its way into this thread.
    Anyway a vintage Carters selvedge denim corduroy collar chore coat.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  2. eazye

eazye Well-Known Member

Picked up this amazing 50's heavy wool cardigan yesterday. This thing is dead stock, looks like someone bought it and hung it in a closet for 60 years. I also just set it on the scale and it weighs an incredible 5lbs! They just don't make em like they used to.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. Snoogz

Snoogz Well-Known Member

That i

That is beautiful! What size ;)

4. mhtcjt37

mhtcjt37 Well-Known Member

Don't know if this qualifies but picked thrifted this yesterday. Abercrombie and Fitch Shooting Jacket, from the Union labels I believe it was made between 76-88.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Saturdays

Saturdays Well-Known Member

I've seen other stuff from A&F like that, don't much about it, are they actually decent quality?

6. comrade

comrade Well-Known Member

Before the original A&F went bankrupt inthe late 70s, their clothing probably compared favorably in quality to Brooks Brothers
    high-end "own make" line of the time. At Brooks that was just under "custom" ( bespoke) and about the best quality in US RTW,
    except for maybe Oxxford.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abercrombie_&_Fitch

7. FaceOfBoh

FaceOfBoh Well-Known Member

I remember being in an A&F store in the mid-80s. My impression was of clothing but also travel and safari related gear and knick knacks. In fact, I had a friend whose father was, if IIRC, an executive for A&F, probably for the Canadian market up here.

8. Saturdays

Saturdays Well-Known Member

Oh wow, learn something new every day. I didn't know their was so much history behind the company.

9. GusW

GusW Well-Known Member

As a kid, my family moved to the NYC area in 1963. One of my most memorable initial experiences in all of Manhattan was visiting the 8 story A&F store. It was like a dream world and each floor had its own edited theme of the finest things from around the world. It still catered to the image of the great explorer although in reality it was the best hunting, fishing, camping, field, country home apparel, furniture and accessories available. The menswear floor had everything from blue blazers to knee length hooded fur coats making you look like an Arctic explorer. Of course they had safari jackets and shirts, full length shearling jackets, suede blazers. The gun floor had everything from a miniature derringer to a canon for sale. The furniture floor had exotic animal skins, campaign furniture, etc. The camping floor had all kinds of cool hiking and outdoor gear from Europe. This was no LL Bean. Even if you didn't go in to get outfitted for a safari, it felt like an adventure just being there, where many famous people had outfitted themselves for safaris, great explorations and even for war.

10. GusW

GusW Well-Known Member

1972 Vintage Lowa hiking boots. I'm the original owner...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
  11. GusW

GusW Well-Known Member

1983 Alan Mcafee cap toes. (later bought by Churches) At the time Macafee had a Royal Warrant for making Prince Charles' riding boots.

Bought them in London that year when the US Dollar was $1.09 to the Pound. I remember that they cost $65 US including VAT. But the shoe trees were a whopping $15 US. I've had these resoled at least four times.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  12. meister

meister Well-Known Member

I remember first going into the Banana Republic store in San Fran in the 80s and getting the same vibe.

13. CTBrummie

CTBrummie Well-Known Member

Continuing on from the above McAfee shoes, Alan McAfee balmoral boots (made by C&J most likely, one of several Northampton makers who made RTW shoes and boots for them) from some time pre-Church's buyout:

[​IMG]

Edward Green veldtschoen boots, the ancestor of the Galway, from around the '60s by EG's own estimation:

[​IMG]

And two pairs of the ancestor of the boot above, Lotus's famous '263' veldtschoen boot. Both dating from the '40s, the rear pair belonged to a Czech officer who fought with the British Army in WW2. His boots are still my ultimate footwear for anything extreme:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. eazye

eazye Well-Known Member

^^^^ Those boots are amazing. On the above topic, I also remember going into Banana Republic in the early 80's in Milwaukee and it was totally decked out to look like a jungle camp. They had fake huts and even a jeep right in the store. It's weird to think all their stores used to be like that compared to what they are today.

15. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Well-Known Member

You guys have made me proud of this thread the past few posts. :worship:

16. mainy

mainy Well-Known Member

RE: banana republic, i highly recommend the book the couple who started the store wrote and released in 2012. very short, easy read, but a great story of retailing / clothing / entrepreneurship

17. Baron

Baron Well-Known Member

If you're talking about the store on the SW corner of union square, I too went in there many times in the 80's and it wasn't much like the 8 story wonderland PSG just described. Safari jackets and bush hats yes, but no guns, no exotic skins, no fine European tailored clothing or bench made shoes.

18. eazye

eazye Well-Known Member

I think he was talking about the A&F store in NY in the 60's.

19. grendel

grendel Well-Known Member

These are amazing! Those boots look 6 months old, not 6+ decades.

20. CTBrummie

CTBrummie Well-Known Member

Heh, cheers! One of the soles on the front pair went just before Christmas, which was a blow because they both still have their original soles.

The ones at the back barely show any signs of having been worn. I reckon the owner put them into storage after the war or something and maybe just gave them an occasional wax as the leather was in pretty good condition when I first got them.