1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Official Vintage Clothing and Accessories Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, Dec 23, 2012.

1. eazye

eazye Well-Known Member

And Cross Colors.

2. silverwarebandit

silverwarebandit Well-Known Member

i don't even know what you're talking about eazy...

1 person likes this.
  3. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Well-Known Member

I didn't know there was a technical definition of "vintage." Maybe I should have said "not very old." In any case, this thread is for stuff that's interesting because it's old, not just modern stuff that's interesting for its own sake, IMO. The older the better.

4. Coal_Mining_Polak

Coal_Mining_Polak Well-Known Member

The 80's/90's are not vintage.

That being said, the sport coat has a wonderful pattern and colors. Unfortunately you can see the low gorge and low-buttoning hard 3-button front from your pictures which may date it in a pejorative sense. Nylon also seems to have been blended into high-quality menswear in the 80's, every Armani Collezioni jacket from said era seems to have nylon in it.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
  5. s_allen_p

s_allen_p Well-Known Member

I posted this a while back and dated it '62 based on info from another member who saw pics of the tag. I reached out to Brooks Brothers to confirm the method of dating, but never heard back. Today the jacket sold on eBay and I found it interesting that the shipping address was the Brooks Brothers flagship store on Madison Ave. I googled the name of the buyer and it turns out they are a BB historian. Hopefully this is some sort of confirmation of the date. Regardless, the coat couldn't have found a better home.

4 people like this.
  6. Orgetorix

That's very cool. I don't know if it would break Ebay policies or not, but would you share the buyer's Ebay ID here? It might be handy to have - we come across cool vintage BB stuff from time to time (my 1943 Army officer's coat, Cap's red riding jacket, etc.) and it might be worth contacting them up front to see if they're interested in purchasing.

7. ATLjon

ATLjon Well-Known Member

Forgot if I ever posted this here. Dusting it off to sell because I'm past the point of convincing myself I can squeeze into it.

It's not amazing, but it is 60 years old and pretty cool.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Coal_Mining_Polak

I picked up a mega-haul of razor sharp and super-slim 60's MTM suits. Plaids and solids, mind-blowing size 34 Short! Pics to follow. :D

1 person likes this.
  9. tonylumpkin

tonylumpkin Well-Known Member

Could be describing me.

10. ATLjon

ATLjon Well-Known Member

I've been casually browsing for a chest/trunk just because I think it would be cool to have one. I saw this listed at $99. It looked to be in fine condition, but I didn't examine the inside. (For all I know, this could have been made yesterday.)

[​IMG]

I also saw this, which I thought was cool. The guy said it's probably from the '40s.

The name plates denote places for collars, "pyjamas," etc. The knob on the glass door looked to be MOP.

[​IMG]

Detail of the outer "pre-stressed" door (man, my phone really sucks as a camera)

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  11. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Well-Known Member

Please PM me too if you feel like sharing.

Just arrived in - ebay brag - this thing is INCREDIBLE. Silk Velvet, 1935 savile row. I cant even tell you how good this smells.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. Coal_Mining_Polak

13. s_allen_p

s_allen_p Well-Known Member

Definitely wouldn't feel comfortable sharing that info on a public forum regardless of eBay policy. I was planning on contacting the buyer once the package arrives; I'll see if they want their ID shared members of the forum privately.

14. SpooPoker

for someone much bigger than me - perfect im sure!

15. Garasaki

Garasaki Well-Known Member

The union tag on this cashmere overcoat dates in between 1949 and 1962. I suspect it's spent a lot of it's life in a closet somewhere.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I particularly wanted to post regarding the pick stitching. It's gorgeous, and throughout the coat. I was not at my best with the camera for these shots, you'll have to look close to see it. But wow!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
    2 people like this.
  16. ATLjon

ATLjon Well-Known Member

Vintage, vintage or just "vintage?"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. FaceOfBoh

FaceOfBoh Well-Known Member

Cross post from thrift thread.

Varsity/team cardigan. Date on the crest? 61/62 season.

[​IMG]

1960s Western ranch jacket. If this isn't deadstock it's just been hanging in someone's closet for almost 50 years. Tons of detailing: western peaked yokes (front and back), iridescent fabric, acrylic fur and collar lining, corduroy lining in the pockets, great vintage buttons, and rawhide cord on the split sides.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  18. Orgetorix

I'm gonna guess '50s, based on the label/font style and the fact that terylene (the first polyester fiber) was introduced in 1948 and superseded by Dacron for most clothing in the mid-50s.

19. Coal_Mining_Polak

These are both so cool, I'd wear both of them in a heartbeat. :slayer:

20. SpooPoker

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A friend of mine sent these to me and I thought they were just spectacular. Vintage Swiss and German, from probably the 60s. Made mostly by Krier. All in great, super thin cotton voile and hand rolled edges on them all.

They dont make them like this anymore.

5 people like this.