• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Tweed Appreciation Thread

pbdeng4

Reaction score
I was never all that interested in tweed but it's still pretty chilly here in Northern California and I found this for cheap at a local thrift store..how does this look?

koGDXh4.jpg

4FwW1Ug.jpg

Be brutal!

FillW

Reaction score
I just got this vintage tweed jacket off eBay. I thought it was brown but its actually a blue type color. It seems very old and it seems to be "hairier" then modern tweed. IT IS NOT TAILORED YET.

What do you all think? Is it garbage or can I make it work with some tailoring? I'm more concerned with the color then the fit. Thanks for the input everyone!

Cool jacket!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

FillW

Reaction score
Let me ask a question: I found a jacket in a thrift store that I'm wearing right now at work. It's 70% polyester and 30% wool. Is it still considered a "tweed" jacket? It looks just like the herringbone Harris Tweed jacket I also got this weekend.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't object to a bit of synthetic, but that proportion seems unlikely to feel good or breathe well.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And doesn't bode well for the general quality of the garment at all.

FillW

Reaction score
I don't object to a bit of synthetic, but that proportion seems unlikely to feel good or breathe well.
Yeah, you'd think...
And doesn't bode well for the general quality of the garment at all.

I found it before I found the Harris Tweed jacket. It fits me like a glove and looks good. A babe was checking me out when I first slipped it on at the store.
lol8[1].gif

I was gonna pass on it but then I had to go back to the store and get it. I'm wearing it right now and it's cold in here but it's comfortable. It's a coat I'll wear at work mostly.

Last edited:

FillW

Reaction score

So, are the jackets I've bought that are 100% wool and look like some of the jackets in this thread all "tweed"? I've been pretty adamant about only getting 100% wool jackets but the above-mentioned jacket is the only one that was not 100% wool.
I have two jackets (thrifted) that look almost exactly like the "Barva" Harris Tweed jacket I have but fit way better and a brown herringbone jacket (all are 100% wool). I'll post pics of them when I get a chance to take a good pic.
I just want to know how to sort through all the stuff on Ebay, thrift store or whatever. I see a lot of jackets that look like some of the vintage tweed but are made of man-made materials.

size 38R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was never all that interested in tweed but it's still pretty chilly here in Northern California and I found this for cheap at a local thrift store..how does this look?

koGDXh4.jpg

4FwW1Ug.jpg

Be brutal!
ok, put some shoes on.
lol8[1].gif
the jacket is nice. shorten it just a little and you have a daily wearer.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So, are the jackets I've bought that are 100% wool and look like some of the jackets in this thread all "tweed"? I've been pretty adamant about only getting 100% wool jackets but the above-mentioned jacket is the only one that was not 100% wool.
 I have two jackets (thrifted) that look almost exactly like the "Barva" Harris Tweed jacket I have but fit way better and a brown herringbone jacket (all are 100% wool). I'll post pics of them when I get a chance to take a good pic.
 I just want to know how to sort through all the stuff on Ebay, thrift store or whatever. I see a lot of jackets that look like some of the vintage tweed but are made of man-made materials.

Tweed is the weave, not the material, so yes, it can be made out of something other than 100% wool. But 70% Polyester is not good, and I very much doubt it looks anything other than cheap.

FillW

Reaction score
Tweed is the weave, not the material, so yes, it can be made out of something other than 100% wool. But 70% Polyester is not good, and I very much doubt it looks anything other than cheap.

Methinks you'd be very surprised. I may post pics of it and the Harris Tweed I also have (maybe in a separate thread).

hoit1981

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Methinks you'd be very surprised. I may post pics of it and the Harris Tweed I also have (maybe in a separate thread).

I think you should definitely post pics of this poly-tweed. Sounds horrendous but would be willing to eat my words.

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm cross-posting this from the Unfunded Liabilities thread. I have a length of charcoal herringbone tweed from the Dugdale Magdale tweed book. Despite the pic, it's a true charcoal. It isn't "slick" and it isn't imitation tweed like Glorious Twelfth, but it is not as rough as most tweeds I've seen. If I had to compare it to something, I'd say it's the tweed version of worsted flannel, with Harris tweed being the woolen flannel.

I was initially going to have it made up as a SB suit with a vest, but have been getting into DB suits lately. Is tweed and DB like oil and water, considering the tweed has a somewhat-refined finish and conservative pattern/color?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads