1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Official Tweed Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, Oct 1, 2011.

1. OlSarge

OlSarge Well-Known Member

We've still two or three days before tweed season really gets underway. There will be a short 'Santa Ana' condition and the highs today through Monday will either approach or exceed 90F. However, next week the cooling will definitely come. I'm already thinking about a new pair of moleskin or corduroy trousers to wear with my tweed jackets. I might even want some more tattersall shirts . . .

2. SBear

SBear Well-Known Member

Ha! We have snow on the mountain tops and a dusting in the yard yesterday. The tweeds came out weeks ago here!

3. tattoodobem

tattoodobem Well-Known Member

People are wearing t-shits here. 27celsius / 80F here. And yes it's fall

No tweeds for me

4. cptjeff

cptjeff Well-Known Member

Nearly 90F here in DC. I'm tired of this crap already, give me fall!

1 person likes this.
  5. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Well-Known Member

81 in San Francisco. San Francisco!

6. jaywhyy

jaywhyy Well-Known Member

Pretty ridiculous Indian summer coupled with an unusually chilly summer

7. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. OlSarge

Like the Southwick . . .

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
  9. MZhammer

MZhammer Well-Known Member

Gentlemen, any thoughts on this article? Looking for constructive criticism ideas etc.
    http://noblecustom.com/style/tweed-noble-fabric/

It might be a little sacrilegious in the "how to wear" tweed as it's a bit more modern interpretation but I'd like to get some feedback.

Tweed – A Noble Fabric

It’s autumn again and that brings with it visions of crisp apples, foliage displays rendered in brilliant hues and, for the gentleman, visions of tweed. Tweed is one of those iconic fabrics that, unless you’re in a tropical climate, you owe it to yourself to try. It’s a hard wearing fabric that looks as great on a quail shoot as it does in an office. It has recently come back en-vogue, partly because of help from dandified brands like Phineas Cole, but tweed has always had a place in the refined gentleman’s wardrobe.
    [​IMG]

A Brief History
    Tweed seems almost as old as the Scottish and Irish isles themselves; it’s an organic fabric that looks like it’s been cultivated straight from the earth. The origins of tweed suggest that it was woven by farmers to combat the dank, cold climate that permeates the islands and to stand up to the heavy wear of their daily lives. The clothes were used to work in, hunt in, and relax in and, as such, they reflected their myriad of uses. Tweed was woven using thick, coarse fibers in colors and patterns that reflected the local flora and fauna, resulting in the earthy characteristics we associate with it today. As time progressed, tweed also became decorative, resulting in patterns and what were known as clan tartans – specific patterns, often plaids, worn only by members of the same family regardless of location.
    [​IMG]

According to a widely held belief, the name “tweed” is the result of a copying error, not named after the “tweed valley.” As the story goes, a London cloth merchant misspelled the Scottish word tweel (or as Americans would say, twill) as tweed. His error stuck, and the twilled fabric was dubbed tweed.

Continue Reading

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
  10. cpmac7

cpmac7 Well-Known Member

I like it, I felt like I learned some stuff. Keep it up!

1 person likes this.
  11. jrd617

jrd617 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  12. jrd617

jrd617 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  13. OlSarge

Not too bad though I personally prefer the 'natty professor' style. Not surprising, as for a while I was one. Trying to be too fashion forward with tweed would be, I fear, subject to derision. It's a traditional thing. Be traditional. Enjoy.

1 person likes this.
  14. Jonny Foy

Jonny Foy Member

These might not be too infernal with silk or satin lining:
    [​IMG]

15. Gbg brouge

Gbg brouge Well-Known Member

Getting ready to order my first tweed jacket. I'm choosing between Tweed Addict and Mears Bespoke, what's your take on them?

16. velomane

velomane Well-Known Member

I am awaiting a Mears jacket this week. When it shows up I'll post pics with a report. As for Tweed Addict, I inquired about the construction of one of the jackets they had on sale. Here is the reply I received: "The jacket has a fused construction. We do offer fully canvassed jackets for our made to measure. I wouldn't use a fused construction with a fine suiting cloth, but for tweeds like this is doesn't seem so important"

I'm relatively new to the tweed thing, but I was immediately turned off by the fused construction. If my judgement is in error, someone, please let me know.

17. OlSarge

Fusing has a terrible reputation among the iGentry but more technologically educated folk within the trade consider the hue and cry overstated. Yes, when fusing came out right after WWII it was pretty nasty but consider how much improvement there has been in other new technologies that have come out since then. No, fusing will not ever replace fine canvassing, at least in the foreseeable future. However, the fact that a jacket is fused should not always generate disgust and revulsion. You have to personally examine the product, try it on, and such. If you can afford to experiment, get one, have it altered and wear it for a while. You may decide to be a purist and that's fine. However, if you can get a good-looking, reasonably priced jacket that fits and wears well but just happens to be fused how are you damaged?

Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
    2 people like this.
  18. SBear

SBear Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  19. Spaghettimatt

Spaghettimatt Well-Known Member

I've got one tweed so far - a dark grey herringbone. I'm wanting to commission a second. Any suggestions? I was thinking brown (no pattern) patch pocket with leather "football" buttons.

20. Gbg brouge

Gbg brouge Well-Known Member

Quote: Will be looking forward to your report on Mears. I've been in contact with them and they give prompt replies and I think they reflect genuine care for the customer.
    Tweed Addict hasn't responded yet...

Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
    1 person likes this.