1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Official Tweed Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, Oct 1, 2011.

1. Elwoodc

Elwoodc Member

Wish we had the weather for me to wear such a robust fabric.
    Enjoy

2. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Well-Known Member

I certainly didn't go out intended to buy an OTR suit today, but I have just bought a beautiful grey barleycorn tweed 2 / 3-piece made by Avon House for the Rugged Museum in Tokyo. The fabric is by Abraham Moon, the Yorkshire manufacturer, but the suit is entirely made in Japan. The brand is basically a defunct label that was revived by Rugged Museum (Free & Easy magazine's in-house shop) in order to market their new line of British-influenced menswear. A lot of the Rugged Museum's stuff is slightly eccentric and overdone versions of American (and some British) trad reinterpreted for the Japanese market, but the Avon House stuff is mostly pretty damn good - some nice Cabourn-ish tweed jackets, excellent Shetland sweaters, chunky Tricker's collaboration brogues etc. - but the tweed suits are excellent (page 34 of the October 2013 issue of Free & Easy for those who have access to it).

I tried on the 46 / 36 jacket with my usual trepidation when trying things on in Japan: the length is usually just right - I'm actually in the average height range for Japan - but the shoulders are just too narrow, or everything's too narrow, and the next size up is all wrong. But it was perfect - like it had been made for me: the shoulders were not just okay but dead on, the buttoning point and waist suppression were exactly how I like them (the jacket is a 3-button that seems to work just as well worn as a hard-3 or as a 3 roll-2), the rounded mid-width peak-lapel was just unusual enough to make it clearer that this is something rather more classy than your JCrew Ludlow-type of English tweed suit (which uses the same fabric, I believe), and the double-vented back was almost as smooth as my bespoke tweed suit and exactly the right length. I also bought the optional vest because it was so lovely, didn't seem to affect the fit of the jacket at all, and gives me another option, and again a higher buttoning point and also lapelled which is not that common these days.

The only things that needed doing were to take 1/2 inch off the jacket sleeves and for the trousers to be finished and the waist let out an inch, which they are all doing for me as I type. There will be pictures next week when I pick it up although I probably won't get to wear this for a while as it is still hot, hot, hot here in Tokyo.

So, all in all, I'm happy today. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
    5 people like this.
  3. velomane

velomane Well-Known Member

Thanks for the report FM, I'm looking forward to seeing the pics.

4. OlSarge

OlSarge Well-Known Member

Sounds like a definite winner. Also looking forward to the pix.

5. roquesoon

roquesoon Well-Known Member

Beautiful jacket.

As an aside, what is accepted practice regarding buttoning up all the way (throat latch included)? Seems to me that the bottom button can be done as well, since the purpose is to keep you warm. Maybe a purely hypothetical question, since no one really uses their throat latch, do they? [​IMG]

6. roquesoon

roquesoon Well-Known Member

^Also, I have a sport coat in a really similarly colored donegal. Besides stone, what colored trousers do you pair that with?

7. Maccimus

Maccimus Well-Known Member

I am seeking suggestions myself...The jacket is more white-ish under the sunlight, so I am thinking of brown or dark olive cords/moleskin. Maybe I also need to get a pair of tan shoes...

8. OlSarge

Very few of us go out in weather that would call for it's use these days, at least without some sort of heavy outerwear over our tweed. But it's nice to know you can. And as you point out, when the thermometer drops low enough to require the throat latch, fashion rules bedamned. Button the muthuh all the way and head for the shelter of the nearest pub--preferably one with a roaring fire on the hearth!

9. ChicagoManualOfStyle

ChicagoManualOfStyle Member

A rainy day here in Chicago, perfect for trying out my new Donegal. Thanks, cpmac7!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 15, 2013
  10. ojaw

ojaw Well-Known Member

I'm visiting Hamburg right now and all buttons including throat latch are being used regularly. Then again I obviously don't worry too much about the opinions of most, because I wear tweed in this day and age.

11. MrSmith

MrSmith Well-Known Member

picked up my new 3 piece commission from Tweed Addict in London.

I went for something a little showy this time, something that's not got "country" written all over it.

when i find a decent camera i will get some of it being worn.

Working cuffs, inner and out linings, half lined trousers, braces buttons and pocket watch hole. Plus a no vent rear on the jacket.
    Some may say a little contraversial perhaps but that's the point.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 16, 2013
  12. Roycru

Roycru Well-Known Member

Mr. Smith, are those horn buttons on your Tweed Addict suit? The suit looks very good, and the gold lining is particularly good looking.

13. OlSarge

Ohhhh . . . yes!

14. gusvs

gusvs Well-Known Member

15. cpmac7

cpmac7 Well-Known Member

Sleeves a little Short :D

JK, Glad to hear you like it! I have many many more tweedS on da bay! 25% off ($8 off) for SF members, TODAY ONLY!

16. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Well-Known Member

17. gusvs

gusvs Well-Known Member

Thanks!

18. MrSmith

MrSmith Well-Known Member

Yes, and thankyou, i'm looking forward to wearing it, will post some more pics then.

19. David Reeves

David Reeves Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

gusvs that jacket is great.

5 people like this.
  20. SHS

SHS Well-Known Member

Wow, great picture David Reeves!