1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Official Tweed Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, Oct 1, 2011.

1. MrSmith

MrSmith Well-Known Member

Now that is a nice jacket - good cut, interesting fabric. any chance of a close up of the fabric?

2. Moves

Moves Member

Hello tweed-wearing gents!

I've been collecting what I call English shooting clothing (mostly tattersal, houndstooth, and herringbone) all summer at thrift stores and it finally got cool enough today in Anaheim, CA to wear my houndstooth jacket for the first time! I wore a tattersal check shirt under it.

My wife said I look too busy but I'm so tired of wearing solids or just single patterns. I'm sure you guys agree. [​IMG]

I've been researching the fashion rules on this stuff and would love to post a pic of me but I don't have a camera with me. I just spent the last 3 hours going through all 66 pages of this thread! Amazing stuff!

Mind if I join your club?

Joel

3. OlSarge

OlSarge Well-Known Member

Welcome, Moves!

And you are correct, today was the first day of tweed season in SoCal. I wore my 'previously owned' shooting jacket to the eye doctor today in the early morning and felt quite cozy as well as well turned out. If you haven't yet gotten hold of Alan Flusser's Dressing the Man, do so. It shows many splendid examples of how to mix patterns with aplomb. Your wife will be impressed.

4. I Like Turtles

I Like Turtles Well-Known Member

Anyone know of some good places in Manhattan or surrounding area for a good tweed sportscoat?

5. Geezer

Geezer Well-Known Member

The obvious first stops are J Press, Paul Stuart and BB, arguably in that order.

6. Cuttingboard

Cuttingboard Well-Known Member

eBay.

7. OlSarge

Mail order from the UK. http://www.tweedmansvintage.co.uk/

8. aravenel

aravenel Well-Known Member

Or Bookster, but beware that A) it will take a couple of months, and B) it's a classic, structured hacking jacket, different than the current SF-approved style. But, it's totally classic, and they have a huge selection of tweeds.

9. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

Here you go: (not the best, but you can at least see the weave a bit better.)

[​IMG]

10. OlSarge

Of course, for the truly stylish gentleman, the current SF-approved fashion looks like your mother is trying to get another year's wear out of a suit you've obviously outgrown so this is really an advantage. [​IMG]

11. Moves

Moves Member

Ok, I took a picture of tonight's outfit. Same houndstooth sportscoat but this time instead of white with green and tan tattersal, I put on a yellow with blue graph check shirt.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So, too similar sized patterns? Not doing two checks together? Faux paux city or cool?

Thanks for the input guys, I new to mixed patterns.

Moves

12. WhyAlwaysMe

WhyAlwaysMe Well-Known Member

^ Start with wearing v-neck undershirts and tuck your shirt in...

13. Cuttingboard

Cuttingboard Well-Known Member

No offense but I agree!

14. aravenel

aravenel Well-Known Member

+1. Nice looking coat though!

15. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

Cross post from the WAYWRN thread

Harris tweed overcoat I've had since college. It's served me well on 3 continents for almost 30 years.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  16. I Like Turtles

I Like Turtles Well-Known Member

Thanks, but I'd rather go to an actual store to try it on. I'll give J Press a shot.

17. Bartleby Trout

Bartleby Trout Well-Known Member

18. cold war painter

cold war painter Well-Known Member

Yes, for my taste the patterns are a little too similar in type and scale, although tattersalls are classic with a tweed. The effect is made a bit worse by the similarity in colouring and the fact that you have no patterns anywhere else. I think that with any brownish tweed it's difficult to go wrong with a solid light blue shirt.

I think tweed jackets go well with denim generally (much as I would love to advise you to bust out the full rig with moleskins/cords, sweater vest, tie with little pheasants on etc.) - but perhaps here the jacket is a bit too fitted against the bagginess of the jeans.

Kai, I really like that herringbone and you look very warm indeed.

19. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Well-Known Member

Kai - Good stuff and love the fact that it's 30 years old and still holding up well.

20. Moves

Moves Member

Thanks for your comments cold war painter. Certainly a single pattern looks good. I'm trying to pull-off patterned shirt with patterned jacket combos. I have a light-blue shirt with darker-blue + white 1/2 inch checks. I'll have to try that one. The first outfit I wore was a tan houndstooth shirt with a solid brown sweater vest.

Checks and tweed patterns are my thing right now. I have a distaste for stripes as all I see is "overweight guy trying to cover something up" (even though I could use the slimming). Although, I think big barred "college colors-type" striped ties are cool. But, I'm not ready for ties yet. My work environment is pretty casual and even wearing a sport coat is way over the top.

Will my standard brown herringbone go with any size check shirt because they are different patterns completely?

Moves