1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Official Tweed Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, Oct 1, 2011.

1. Mr Andersen

Mr Andersen Active Member

610gms / 21oz is WAY to heavy for a blazer, completely useless if you're not located in the Scottish highlands watching sheep all day.
    in com pair, a 560gms is standard for a wool overcoat that will get you though any scandinavian winter

14-16oz is perfect for a tweed blazer in my opinion

2. DavideMiguel85

DavideMiguel85 Well-Known Member

Thanks for your input. This contradicts other opinions here so it does confuse my mind a little. From what i can guess, one of my Harris tweeds is 19/20oz, and I'm comfortable with that. Furthermore, the other grey herringbone is 17.64oz, so not THAT different.

If you say 560grams is for a Scandinavian winter overcoat, yikes, sounds like I'm way off here. Is there anyway to accurately measure the weight of something you already own?! I'm guessing there isn't...

This is a bit of a dilemma now... :/

http://www.styleforum.net/t/313002/tweed-and-temperatures

So this is like 5-10 degrees. That's more or less November until early March, but it can be longer than that, in the UK. So definitely a cooler weather one than an all rounder. But sounds pretty useful... As mentioned, I have other materials for the summer. Out of interest, do you wear this with tshirt+shirt + anything else?

Last edited: Nov 3, 2014
  3. David Reeves

David Reeves Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

18 0z Molloy and Sons Donegal, Just about to put on the suede elbow patches.

1 person likes this.
  4. DavideMiguel85

Do you use real suede, David? I've heard many use a man made substitute these days, supposedly they are more hard wearing. But maybe it's just cheaper...

5. Grammaton Cleric

Grammaton Cleric Well-Known Member

^ Fabric looks amazing - would appreciate some shots of the completed coat

6. jrd617

jrd617 Well-Known Member

+1

is that mollay 0701?

7. jrd617

jrd617 Well-Known Member

found my grail blue tweed

Mystery Weaver[​IMG]

8. mactire

mactire Well-Known Member

Is the coat lined with hot water bottles or something!

I do not think Continental European winters with a steady dry cold are directly comparable to the rain and damp in Ireland and Great Britain, but ultimately it's down to the individual. If you know the weight of tweed you're wearing and you're OK with it then that's your question answered.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
  9. DavideMiguel85

You're quite probably right there. Until you live here maybe people will never realise how damp and miserable it is, and that a nice tweed is our only real salvation ;)

Saw the actual fabric in the flesh today - no real comparison. Definitely preferred the Harris tweed, the photos give an impression but the size of the herringbone is actually smaller/tighter with the Harris, which I prefer. And it actually feels a little bolder too, as the sporadic flecks in the Donegal can't really be seen in the photo.

Not a problem anyway. 500g/m will be fine, I can always throw on a scarf of extra layer. Or overcoat.

1 person likes this.
  10. David Reeves

Yeah people use things like "ultra suede". It certainly is cheaper and is more resistant to stains and more hardwearing but I am a luxury maker so I wouldn't use anything like that. The look and feel is just not the same as a real high quality suede in my opinion.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  11. David Reeves

Will see what I can do but it is a very small ladies jacket so doesn't go on a form and its "out the door" today.

12. Isolation

Isolation Well-Known Member

Hey do you guys know how much the huddersfieldcloth online cloth from the Aimbry jacketing line cost? I can't see the price without an account.

H7707 caught my eye:

[​IMG]

13. Maccimus

Maccimus Well-Known Member

45gbp

1 person likes this.
  14. David Reeves

Here you go.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  15. mattcritchlow

mattcritchlow Well-Known Member

Last edited: Nov 5, 2014
  16. Michael Ay329

Michael Ay329 Well-Known Member

I would grab it.

Its a gorgeous color mix and would work great with dark, mid, light brown corduroy trousers. Grab it

17. DavideMiguel85

Hah! I need to be careful, running out of space in my wardrobe... I picked up a brownish houndstooth last week and I'm in the process of having a grey herringbone made. Although the benefit of living in two different places is I can sort of duplicate wardrobes in pieces ;).

It's sold at quite a few different places. Here is one with both buttons done up, still seems a bit off, but I'm sure it would be reasonable:

http://www.intweed.co.uk/content/sites/intweed/uploads/productimages/562/hamish_large.jpg

18. Isolation

Isolation Well-Known Member

Thanks, meant to ask that on unfunded liabilities, my bad.

19. VRaivio

VRaivio Well-Known Member

Likely the most beautiful tweed I've seen anywhere:

[​IMG]

Does anyone know the weaver and cloth name?

20. Nakedsnake

Nakedsnake Well-Known Member

The best tweed I think i've ever seen too, @VRaivio . I've had this bookmarked for at least a year, likely more. More info here my friend.

1 person likes this.