1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davesmith

davesmith Well-Known Member

^ If it fits and feels like you'll get some wear out of it (plus its cheap!!) i say grab it.

2. Nataku

Nataku Well-Known Member

Same here. Nice score! Deets on this find?

3. Achilles_

Achilles_ Well-Known Member

Isaia is rare even on ebay. (used is at least, which is to say the stuff I can afford :laugh: ) Btw, whatever happened with that eBay tie thing a while back?

4. noob in 89

noob in 89 Well-Known Member

Haha, thanks. I have no reason to grab it...still and all, just wanted to know if it was a solid find. Trying to hone my instincts.

5. davesmith

davesmith Well-Known Member

Quote:
    elaborate please...

6. threeleggeddog

threeleggeddog Well-Known Member

You found 23 freaking hermes ties?!? And you're asking us for help in finding a spot? I'm so confused by the need for your original question. I'm imagining walking into a thrift store and instantly grabbing 3 pounds of hermes-tie-silk. Has anyone else ever found even 10+ super high end ties from the same designer on a single day?

7. Nataku

Nataku Well-Known Member

Yeah, Isaia is scarce. Makes me mad too because I love the newer Isaia stuff - the fits are amazing! Speaking of Isaia, I just splurged $70 on a fairly recent Isaia wool/cashmere sportcoat this evening from eBay. As for the Ben Silver tie incident, I did get it back eventually. Surprisingly it was untouched. I resold it on eBay and I know a bunch of SFers bid, likely to own a piece of epic SF history. It's no pink cashmere Attolini tie, but it sure caused a ruckus!
    I'll try to sum this up. Earlier this year, I sold a NWT Ben Silver tie on eBay for $40-something. Shipped in a Tyvek envelope. Buyer received it and send me this message: "I got the tie today. You put it in a USPS priority mailing envelope but did not put the tie in anything to protect it. Unfortunately the mailer got torn and I guess the dirt from the mailing facility trashed the tie. Did you insure it?" I questioned this accusation on a couple accounts. 1) Tyvek is pretty damn hard to rip open. Sure, it can happen but it takes a lot. 2) The tie was navy with black backing. How could he tell it was "dirty". He got angry and filed a claim right away and left me a neg. right off the bat. I thought he was trying to scam me out of a tie and started a thread on here asking members what their opinion was on the situation. The page was a 8+ page thread and everyone said I should "out" him. I did. Somehow someone found out his name and went as far as to find his house and posted Google images of it. It started to get creepy at that point and way out of hand. It was then locked and black holed. I got the tie back a few weeks later and surprisingly I got the actual tie back (not a dirty sock or something) and it was just as I shipped it. No dirt, feces, etc. I'm sure he got it and didn't like the color on him so he tried to make an excuse to return it. Oh well...

Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  8. Manofstyle85

Manofstyle85 Well-Known Member

I was wondering if there was any spot that you know you are going to find something valuable whenever you walk in. Close to a year now, this is my second significant findings from this store.

9. woolnotmutton

woolnotmutton Well-Known Member

Yes I know one.

Neiman Marcus

10. ruben

ruben Well-Known Member

a shirt
    Just from my limited experience, I think there's actually a lot of good stuff to be found in Omaha. The few times I've been there's just been tons of people piling up carts with stuff. Kinda why I prefer the places with higher prices really, not the ones that'll put $80 tags on Jos. A Bank suits, but the ones that regularly sell suits for $15-40.

11. csoukoulis

csoukoulis Well-Known Member

for those that asked, isaia is a black 3 btn dbl vented suit in 50R (euro)

12. Digmenow

Digmenow Well-Known Member

Given the straining seams of my closet, I'd have to have full canvassing before I'd cop that. I'm already trying to cull the herd and if there is no compelling reason (brand, construction details, fills a color slot in the wardrobe, etc.) I would have passed. I am already becoming leery of the high notches and look for the ones that are a bit lower.

13. Manofstyle85

Speaking of Neinman Marcus, I did found an Oxxford supers 180's for Neiman Marcus

14. Coronaeus

Coronaeus Well-Known Member

Still fairly new to this, but I tried a place that I've driven by for years. It seemed to me that everything I found of any quality was either very ugly, or else in an extreme size. I passed on an Etro shirt in blindingly shiny peach, several BB shirts/tents in staple colours, but with an 18.5" neck and outrageously large and long, a Salvatore Ferregamo tie that looked very dated (probably should have got it anyway for $3.99).

I passed on some shirts that piqued my curiosity. The brand was Villegas and the labels indicated in Spanish only that they were made in Argentina. They were rather short but seemed to be of fairly good cloth. I'm not sure I have an eye for that yet though, so i passed. Anyone know the make?

I did pick up a bunch of records that I was stunned to see at a thrift store. Seven original pressing Pebbles compilations and a couple perfect condition releases on the Planet Pimp label, including the original pressing of F#ck You Spaceman. I sold the very same record on Gemm for about $28 bucks a couple years back. They were all 2 for a $1. I can only assume the parents of some Cavestomp hipster finally decided to turn his childhood room into a home gym.

15. Digmenow

Digmenow Well-Known Member

You appear to be far wiser than I was at the start, C. I was picking up BB shirts that were far too large, thinking that people here would be begging to send me money in exchange for them! :lol: This thread is a veritable "college of thrifting knowledge" and you can learn a lot from reading it starting with page 1 (if you haven't already!). If you have a smart phone, you can instantly google almost any unknown brand to see if there's a value attached to it beyond what the thrift store has tagged it. After an ...exuberant...start, I now pace myself to look for things that I KNOW fit me and meet my wardrobe needs in terms of color and style. Now and then, I happen across an item that I think someone here will like and post it up for consumption. Not always with success, mind you. Keep it up, happy hunting and good luck! [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  16. Manofstyle85

I had the same experience. When I first started, I picked up everything brooks brothers, ties, shirt, suits, blazer, fit me or not, thinking that I found a gold mine. [​IMG] Now, I rarely pick up Brooks Bros. even the one that fits me.

17. Achilles_

Achilles_ Well-Known Member

Glad to hear the tie thing worked out! Details on SC?

I'll have to thrift more! Maybe there's enough Berkshire guys to keep the goodwill's full :laugh:

18. Coronaeus

Coronaeus Well-Known Member

Thanks.

My prudence as I start the thrifting adventure comes after some rather egregious imprudence in retail shopping. For my first suit a couple years ago, I paid full retail price for what i thought was a very versatile black Hugo Boss. Needless to say, the salesman still calls me every few months to see if I need to add anything else to my wardrobe.

19. threeleggeddog

threeleggeddog Well-Known Member

The best cities are likely poorly dressed on average, with a decent number of higher paying jobs, and without a huge artsy, college population. I've only been in Louisiana for a little bit, but I've ironically found better finds in Baton Rouge than in New Orleans. I think the younger, artsy New Orleans crowd sucks up all the decent inventory pretty quickly. Baton Rouge has little of anything but engineering, law, medical, and LSU (and the LSU students are much more interested in drinking than blazers, though the thrift shops further from campus are better). However, the few men who do wear ties seem to have much better than average jobs - about 1/3 of the ties I find are at least Brooks Brother quality.

That said, if you took LSU out of the city, I'm sure the finds would be better. I'm sure there are plenty of similar cities without a major university.

20. Nataku

Nataku Well-Known Member

Wow - nice score on those Pebbles comps!

Me too. The photos on the auction kinda suck, but it's a gray herringbone pattern. Wool/cashmere blend. 3 btn. Side vents and elbow patches done in the jacket fabric. From the measurements provided, it should fit me spot on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.