• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zackb911

Reaction score
This thread got me a little curious to check around some local stores, treasure hunting if you will. I usually never see anything that really catches my eye but today I saw 3 Rufus shirts. They're all made in the USA, contrasting inner cuff fabric, nice thick buttons, back darts, spread collars, look very high quality, and I believe retail ~$150-200. What do you guys think?
IMG_0664.jpg
IMG_0666.jpg
IMG_0668.jpg
IMG_0670.jpg

rose04

Reaction score
Anyone want to play the is it real game? It's nice, but I'm completely unfamiliar with Armani.
DSC03047Small.jpg

DSC03046Small.jpg

Also, does anyone know anything about Lee Allison ties? A quick google search doesn't seem to be revealing anything of major value... Obviously Mr. Allison thinks he makes nice ties!

JKMWCL

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Zackb911
This thread got me a little curious to check around some local stores. I usually never see anything that really catches my eyes but today I saw 3 Rufus shirts.

They're made in the USA, contrasting cuffs, thick buttons, seem very high quality and I believe retail ~$150-200. Only problem is they're XL's and I'm a slim medium.

What do you guys think? I bought them for the fun of it and thought I'd offer them up to members here.

Damn, if these were Large Tall, I'd be all over them!

Mannix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Tyrone MacStiophain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JMayle
I'm not trying to be rude, but do you really need to ask the help of strangers to decided whether or not to buy a $4 shirt that doesn't fit you?
I thought he was joking - making a jab at BB 346.

Tyrone MacStiophain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did okay today. Brand new Gap cotton/wool plaid tie, a YSL skinny grey wool tie (yeah, YSL is whatever, but I've been wanting one like this) and this Luciano Barbera check tie. (Yes, Frenchy, I kept it in my sight at all times. And it was much cheaper than the disappearing Brioni.)
gapyslbarberaties.jpg
barberatielabel.jpg

The Barbera's not my usual style, so I have to think about whether or not to flip it. It may grow on me.

Same issue with these Bruno Magli Bransons:
maglicaptoes.jpg

I bought them to flip, but they're my size, nice lambskin, and I need a pair of plain black shoes for formal dress. What do you guys think? Too square?

YoungAmerican

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Get rid of those Bruno Maglis. Homely.

Did some San Francisco thrifting on Sunday. Found a Barbera knit tie and a Kiton cashmere double-breasted suit jacket that will be transformed, as if by magic, into a blazer. Grabbed a very nice Barbera shirt for $35 at the consignment store, too.

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
Met up with Antirabbit today and hit up some stores. It was a great day. I got a NWT Polo RL by Corneliani navy blazer. Fits me like a glove minus needing to shorten the sleeves by about 1". He got some nice finds too. Fun day!

Yeah....
A Holiday and Brown tie with hand sewn tips for $.99.
AND>......
NWT Billy Reid+Levi's jeans in my size...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I got a buzz off of them, $20.00

csoukoulis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pnin22
Were you in the NMLC in Grapevine mills by chance? I was there a few days ago (conference in Dallas), was quite dissapointed. Couldn't find any decent shoes except for garish italian things, and suit selection was poor.

yea that store sucks. However the one in Allen which is about 20 mins from the grapevine store is alot better.

hyakku

Reaction score
Not too much to update on lately, but if anyone finds any more Kangol style hats or golf hats, irish caps (depending on where you're from), etc., let me know, chances are I will buy them from you. I've got a penchant for them and look damn fly in them.

Midwester, can't thank you enough, this has definitely become my favorite hat already. My first day wearing it out I had three people approach me to comment on how "fly" i looked, and I realized that despite my normal modicum of flyness, the hat was definitely the thing that stood out as I've worn all these outfits before lol.

mistermidwester

Reaction score
Midwester, can't thank you enough, this has definitely become my favorite hat already. My first day wearing it out I had three people approach me to comment on how "fly" i looked, and I realized that despite my normal modicum of flyness, the hat was definitely the thing that stood out as I've worn all these outfits before lol.
Awesome to hear. It certainly was a hat that stood out when I found it, and I'm glad to hear you're rocking it.

Speaking of hats, I ran across this one recently. It's probably more for the SW&D crowd (and nothing designer), but I thought it was pretty neat for sheer unique-ness.

5569700411_80122fe0c8_b.jpg

1960s (or so) vintage indigo denim newsboy hat, with thick black satin lining. Size medium if'n you're interested.
laugh.gif

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JMayle
I'm not trying to be rude, but do you really need to ask the help of strangers to decided whether or not to buy a $4 shirt that doesn't fit you?
Originally Posted by Tyrone MacStiophain
I thought he was joking - making a jab at BB 346.
I kinda was. I'm too new at this stuff to really know what I'm looking at and I was hoping someone would tell me I had found the Holy Grail of 346 so I could rush back and grab it. Guess not, though. Meanwhile, I did part with $12 for this Burberry London that actually DID fit me. The sorry so and so's had it tagged as a "boutique" item.
IMG_20110328_123822.jpg
IMG_20110328_123848.jpg

JKMWCL

Reaction score
Passed on a pair of Bruno Magli loafers today b/c there was some wear on the black linkage across the front and the metal under the pait was showing - is this something worth fixing?. Also passed on some Bally loafers as the fringed covers were curling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.2%

Forum statistics

Threads