1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JHBU2011

JHBU2011 Member

Roundtree and Yorke (dillards brand) lambskin jacket. I know its not RLPL or Loro Piana but I figure a jacket in flawless condition is worth $20. plus its lambskin. probably went for $500 new.

2. ChetB

ChetB Well-Known Member

Last edited: Nov 19, 2011
  3. Nataku

Nataku Well-Known Member

Yup, there is quite a bit of interest on that one. It is a really nice tie.
    Yeah, it fits me well but that killed it for me. Still, I couldn't pass up a side-vented Zegna suit in excellent shape for $12.

4. ChetB

ChetB Well-Known Member

5. matt22616

matt22616 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Sep 16, 2011
  6. TheWGP

TheWGP Well-Known Member

Awesome navy with dots RLPL tie - that thing has got to be pretty darn recent - how wide/long is it? I have what I think is the exact same tie in my closet, it's so freaking staple its not even funny.

Came CLOSE to a pickup today - Vineyard Vines light blue with white dots tie, found a snag on the front. Also found a Barbour shirt for the first time in months, had some odd stains on the inner corduroy portion - I think there was a laundry accident. Didn't want to risk selling either since they'd be AAAC/thrift items only and I already have that exact Barbour shirt. :(

BTW, whoever found that Loro Piana cashmere sweater - you seriously might want to consider picking it up if the holes are at all repairable. Their cashmere is very nice. If it's sized for big dudes I'll buy it from you even - I don't mind repairing cashmere sweaters! ;)

Oh yeah - JHBU - I have a Roundtree & Yorke lambskin leather jacket in brown, possibly the same one you found or similar. I paid $99 for it on clearance, winter 2009. The original retail price tag on the model I bought was $695 - though I HIGHLY doubt it ever sold for that, Dillards being Dillards. Either way, I thought it was a sweet deal at $99, and at $20 even if it's not the same model I'd say it probably is quite nice. In fact, mine is hanging up in the dining room right now awaiting some leather treatment to prepare it for use this upcoming fall!

7. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Well-Known Member

I wonder how many newcomers stumble on this thread and see all the goodies posted here, then get so excited they bolt out of their homes to the nearest thrift store anticipating to buy the wardrobe of their dreams, only to find dusty, mold-ridden, moth-eaten crap.

8. AndroFan

AndroFan Well-Known Member

I've had an eventful last few days...First off, I found this awesome Brooks Brothers corduroy jacket that's exactly my size!! Problem is, (as I realized at my turn in the check out line...D'oh!), it's missing the bottom button. Damnit. Oh well, it looks good enough on me that I'm going to spend a bit of cash to buttonmatch and replace it. Well worth it, I think.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also found this absolutely gorgeous Daks suit. I don't have any actual info confirming this, but it seems to be a pretty recent suit based on the cut and style. Very nice dark charcol (approaching - dare I say - black). Very nice cut, absolutely pristine inner lining and nice thick outer shell. Doesn't fit me.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And the big score of the day....finally, my first Zegna!!!! I've been looking for a Zegna shirt ever since I started thrifting, and, I must say, I see what the hype is all about. This is an absolutely incredible shirt, and in PRISTINE condition! It's in absolutely perfect shape...the fabric is amazing in feel and in look, even though it's too hard to tell from the pics; it's really amazing stuff. It's a great french cuff, and, best of all, IT'S MY SIZE!!!! It's a fantastic find for me; really glad about it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Another great find. Perfect Brooks Brothers shirt - it came straight from the dry cleaners with not a single spot on it!!! Also just my size, though in traditional fit, so I'm going to have it tailored to fit closer to the body. Love it....I'd take these all day long.

[​IMG]

This next one was a bittersweet find, and I really went back and forth between deciding taking it to not. The plusses: It's a nice Brooks Brothers SLIM FIT shirt (which I've found it near impossible to find...slim fits look a million times better on me than traditional fit shirts), and the pattern looks fantastic. The minus...well...look at the second picture....there's a fairly sizable stain on the bottom of the shirt. Here's my rationale in taking it: 1) I truly think it's a stain that I can work out, so hopefully it will be perfect when I'm done with it, 2) It's at the very bottom of the shirt, below the "tuck" line, so even if it doesn't come out, it's definitely still usable to me as a work shirt...and a SLIM FITTING one, at that (thank god).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now, admittedly, a shirt I don't know much about. I was immediately drawn to the heft and feel of the fabric...it's a Bugatchi (they seem to sell pretty well on the bay, which is encouraging), in absolutely pristine condition. The fabric has a much thicker feel to it, and although the pattern isn't my favorite, I was into it for the quality of it alone. It's my size, but I'm potentially interested in selling if buyers are interested. It's a "large", which fits me well (I'm a 42L in sportcoat jackets).

[​IMG]

This is the absolute wildcard for me; a Lanzino multicolor shirt...I asked a friend what they thought about it, knowing nothing about the brand, and they said it was hideous, but I think it's a very interesting piece. I might take a closer pic of the fabric later, but the build quality is fantastic...it's a hefty shirt, and I think the pattern is very nontraditional, but something I really like. It fits me, but i'm not sure what I could wear it with, so if anyone is interested (it's a large...again, I'm a 42L in jackets normally), let me know:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Finally, an absolutely gorgeous tie. As soon as I picked it up, I was drawn to it based solely on the heft and the great quality feel of it. It says
    "XMI Atkinsons - Royal Irish Poplin", and it has one of those great traditional British royal patterns. I checked the brand out on the bay, and though there's pretty limited exposure, it seems to be a pretty good quality tie (which is confirmed by my personal experience with it), and it's in absolutely pristine condition. I'm pretty sure I'll be keeping it, since I don't have a pattern like this, and I'm loving it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. 83glt

83glt Well-Known Member

From what I can see that seems safe to wear as an odd jacket. I think anything pinstriped, plain gray worsted or navy and nailheads/birdseye/sharkskin (whatever you want to call them) should generally be avoided. Tans, browns other "earthy" colors/tones and anything flannel can be gotten away with IMO as long as there is some texture there.

Happens to me all the time, and I'm an "old pro".

10. Passat774

Passat774 Well-Known Member

That is me [​IMG]

11. ChetB

ChetB Well-Known Member

12. Nataku

Nataku Well-Known Member

Finally had a decent haul today. Second time ever finding Ravazzolo. First time it was an older piece that was from the early 90s. The two I found today are very recent. Any vents would be icing on the cake but no such luck there. Still, I couldn't pass these up. The two Ravazzolo pieces came with ties (see photo). Didn't even look at what the ties were till I got home. Just about fainted when I saw the Dolcepunta. I passed on two more Ravazzolo sportcoats that were kinda weird looking. They also had ties attached - wonder what they were..... :brick:

- Ravazzolo gray/rust pinstripe suit. Super 150s. W/ hanger
    - Ravazzolo brown w/ blue windowpane sportcoat. W/ hanger
    - Dolcepunta sevenfold tie. Unique - has a rounded bottom edge.
    - Leonard Paris tie

Not pictured:

- Recent Burberry suit. Side vented. 44 R
    - Recent Samuelsohn charocal chalk-stripe suit. 42 S
    - Brooks Brothers 3 btn navy blazer w/ logo brass buttons. Recent. Single vent. Loro Piana Super 120s. 44 L

Brother got some nice ties by Brioni, Talbott Estate and Giorgio Armani mainline (recent white label).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. AlanC

AlanC Well-Known Member

+1

14. noob in 89

noob in 89 Well-Known Member

Your favorite chinos and a slim navy hoodie or cardigan.

How did I do?

15. cpmac7

cpmac7 Well-Known Member

that is a haul. I am truly jealous, and I am thinking about going out today :)

16. csoukoulis

csoukoulis Well-Known Member

Nataku

Pics of the burberry 44r? I may be interested pending pics and measurements.

17. RebelWithACause

RebelWithACause Well-Known Member

1. Hermes tie, looks real, I hope.
    2. Filson Jacket sz 46. Excellent condition

everything up for sale, drop me a PM.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Achilles_

Achilles_ Well-Known Member

I passed 4-5 Sulka shirts at goodwill today, and 2-3 stefano ricci shirts. Most were kind of odd patterns, were they worth picking up at $2.50 per shirt?

I picked up a Brioni blue oxford shirt in size 15.5/39. Mop buttons, only signs of wear are on the collar. I also got a turnbull and asser purple plaid shirt that has very nice cotton, mop buttons, and it in like new condition. I got a older zegna suit, brown plaid double breasted, no vents. Pretty good condition. Lastly I got some gray loro piana pants in size 36-32, double pleats.

Any idea on what I should ask for this stuff?

19. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Well-Known Member

Sulka shirts are very rare animals today. What size were they? Were they in good condition?

Last edited: Sep 17, 2011
  20. Nataku

Nataku Well-Known Member

I'll send them your way in a bit. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.