1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HomerJ

HomerJ Well-Known Member

That is a collectible pattern, and if you plan to sell it on Ebay, hold off until Easter - with good photos you will get over $100 for it.

Hah, brilliant! [​IMG]

2. amerikajinda

amerikajinda Well-Known Member

I found this shirt for $6.99! It was priced less than the Nauticas and Polos!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. amerikajinda

Got this Hermes tie at my local thrift store hoping its real

I can't attest to its authenticity; however I'll give you $40 for it! [​IMG]

4. tonylumpkin

tonylumpkin Well-Known Member

I found this shirt for $6.99! It was priced less than the Nauticas and Polos!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Every time I've found a high end shirt, a Barba last week and Charvet and even BB in the past, they have been with the regularly priced shirts while RL, Abercrombie and American Eagle are in the higher priced "upscale" section. God bless their ignorance.

5. amerikajinda

Every time I've found a high end shirt, a Barba last week and Charvet and even BB in the past, they have been with the regularly priced shirts while RL, Abercrombie and American Eagle are in the higher priced "upscale" section. God bless their ignorance.
    I love it when the pricers are so clueless! There's this huge "mega" thrift shop near me called "Unique" - Article about Unique - there must be 50 people working there. It's like 5 thrift shops in one! Anyway their prices are really out of control -- you can get better deals at Marshalls or T.J. Maxx. Some department store brand neckties (Alfani, Geoffrey Beene, etc.) are $14.99! And it doesn't seem to matter if the ties have stains or if they're 20 years old -- they're priced at $8.99, $12.99, etc. Same with cheapo dress shirts - if they have an original store tag on them, they're automatically priced at $14.99! Even without a tag you'll see "famous brand" shirts like Chaps Ralph Lauren or DKNY for $8.99 or more, but "obscure" brands like the Prada I found yesterday (and pictured below) for only $6.99. I have to laugh at the discrepancy, and at the cluelessness and seemingly arbitrariness of the pricers. Let's hope the pricers never stumble upon StyleForum! [​IMG]

6. tonylumpkin

Maybe we should ask J if there is a way to detect and immediately ban thrift store employees.

BTW Amerikajinda, what did you say to that girl in your avatar?

7. amerikajinda

BTW Amerikajinda, what did you say to that girl in your avatar?
    All I did when I saw her on the subway was hand her my bilingual calling card (English/Korean) as I told her that she's lucky to have been blessed with natural beauty and that I'd be honored to discuss her modeling career prospects over coffee sometime... then wham! wham! wham! wham! wham! [​IMG] I picked up these shoes for $7.99 at Goodwill -- they were sitting right next to some worn black cracked plasticky square-toed Kenneth Coles that were also $7.99 -- the juxtaposition was startling! They're in very good condition... a tad bit too large for me unfortunately, so may consider flipping them, but not sure what they're worth, or how much they'd fetch on the 'Bay... any ideas? I took out the laces and gave them a polish but then realized I'm out of black edge dressing. They have nice, beefy soles (as Shoe would say!) [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Staatsoper

Staatsoper Well-Known Member

Look superb--any other labels etc other than in the oval you show?

All I did when I saw her on the subway was hand her my bilingual calling card (English/Korean) as I told her that she's lucky to have been blessed with natural beauty and that I'd be honored to discuss her modeling career prospects over coffee sometime... then wham! wham! wham! wham! wham! [​IMG]

I picked up these shoes for $7.99 at Goodwill -- they were sitting right next to some worn black cracked plasticky square-toed Kenneth Coles that were also $7.99 -- the juxtaposition was startling! They're in very good condition... a tad bit too large for me unfortunately, so may consider flipping them, but not sure what they're worth, or how much they'd fetch on the 'Bay... any ideas? I took out the laces and gave them a polish but then realized I'm out of black edge dressing. They have nice, beefy soles (as Shoe would say!)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. amerikajinda

Look superb--any other labels etc other than in the oval you show?
    Thanks! They say "Santoni -- Made in Italy" on the sole. Is it the "Darren" captoe oxford as pictured here? http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2891978/...bo=6005047&P=2

10. tonylumpkin

^^^12s!!!! I NEVER FIND 12s! I wear 12s but I never find them. 7s, 8s I find...never 12s. If you think of selling them let me know although I think they may be FAMs and probably out of my price range. Very nice find.

11. amerikajinda

^^^12s!!!! I NEVER FIND 12s! I wear 12s but I never find them. 7s, 8s I find...never 12s. If you think of selling them let me know although I think they may be FAMs and probably out of my price range. Very nice find.

Thanks! Not nearly as nice as the Lobbs that someone posted on here a while back, but definitely a lucky find (as the condition is almost new, and if I wear thick socks, they pretty much fit!) And of course, the price was right! [​IMG]

12. makushin

makushin Well-Known Member

Yesterday:

AE Hastings 9D, light use $9.99
    Talbott striped 3 1/4 Tie $1.99

There will be more, it was my first time looking for dress wear!

13. AlanC

AlanC Well-Known Member

Every time I've found a high end shirt...

Speaking of upscale shirts, I came across a perfect condition Brioni shirt (15.5, fwiw) last week. However, this is a shop where they insist on shooting those plastic price strings through the fabric. It left a hole of course. It was hard to walk away...

14. tonylumpkin

Speaking of upscale shirts, I came across a perfect condition Brioni shirt (15.5, fwiw) last week. However, this is a shop where they insist on shooting those plastic price strings through the fabric. It left a hole of course. It was hard to walk away...

Maybe we're going to have to stage a thrift shop assault and tag all those old ladies with their plastic tags. See how they like it![​IMG]

15. mr monty

mr monty Well-Known Member

Thanks! They say "Santoni -- Made in Italy" on the sole.

Is it the "Darren" captoe oxford as pictured here?

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2891978/...bo=6005047&P=2

I think it's the griffin? If so, it's a well made goodyear soled shoe. The last couple of years it retailed between $600 and 800.
    [​IMG]

16. amerikajinda

I think it's the griffin? If so, it's a well made goodyear soled shoe. The last couple of years it retailed between $600 and 800. [​IMG]
    Ah, thanks! That's it! And it does say "goodyear" on the bottom... thanks. [​IMG] I wore them last night and they are a solid, decadent shoe... very substantial. Not bad -- a $625 pair of shoes in like-new condition for less than the price of a pair of socks! I LOVE THRIFT SHOPS!!! http://www.haroldsintheheights.com/ordergriffin.html

17. AlanC

AlanC Well-Known Member

I picked this up for $2.16:

[​IMG]

I'm going to take it in for a once over. It should look great with a grosgrain band.

18. whacked

whacked Well-Known Member

I picked this up for $2.16:

[​IMG]

I'm going to take it in for a once over. It should look great with a grosgrain band.

Niiiceeeeeeeee

Is it quartz or handwind?

19. EFBenson

EFBenson Well-Known Member

I hope this is the best of several threads I could have posted this information in:

Here are pictures of a couple of shoes I picked up on Friday 16th November in the Church's factory shop in Northampton, having nearly but not quite bought a pair of John Lobb Langley (£235) earlier the same day. The suede shoes (Ludlow) were £150 and the derbys (Knowle) were £75. I doubt that these are contemporary models nor are they extraordinary bargains, nevertheless I was pleased to get them.

The first shop I went to on the day was the Tricker's factory shop. The gentleman there was very informative and surprised me when he said that English shoe width sizes are indicated by numbers rather than letters. He said that Edward Green for instance (as well as Trickers) do not use letters. Only the companies/brands that are now foreign-owned do, he said.

20. Tarmac

Tarmac Well-Known Member

what the hell is he talking about? Edward Green definitely uses letters for widths.

In fact the only company I can think of which uses numbers is Tricker's.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.