1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RJman

RJman Well-Known Member

I also picked up a nearly perfect Ermenegildo Zegna Tessuto tan sport jacket this week.
    Tessuto = cloth. It sounds like it may be a jacket made out of Zegna cloth but made by someone else. But if it fits and the price is right, more power to you.

2. nbutter

nbutter Well-Known Member

nothing fancy, but i just got four sportscoats at housing works (the one on east 23rd) for about $15 each. one cashmere, three wool.

the headline? near _perfect_ fit. they were clearly all from the same guy, who is or was a 43R and did a great job of having his jackets tailored. it was like putting on clothes that had just come back from my own tailor.

i passed on a MTM DB black pinstripe suit (gieves & hawkes fabric) for $70, which also fit perfectly, on the grounds that I wouldn't ever wear it. but I suspect I'll come up with a justification and go back.

3. J'aimelescravates

J'aimelescravates Well-Known Member

Ok, I've spent a few mintues doing detective work on that jacket I picked up the other day. A little disappointing but here's what I found:

http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/f...ad.php?t=64654

tag says: Gritti tessuto Ermenegildo Zegna. I guess it's a EZ diffusion line relegated to the land of outlet shopping. Still, the feel and fit is exceptional. FWIW I saved $442.00 on it so you better believe I'm still happy with it! [​IMG] [​IMG]

BTW: Does anyone have an idea what a tie from Piaget would cost at full retail?

4. VMan

VMan Well-Known Member

Ok, I've spent a few mintues doing detective work on that jacket I picked up the other day. A little disappointing but here's what I found:

http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/f...ad.php?t=64654

tag says: Gritti tessuto Ermenegildo Zegna. I guess it's a EZ diffusion line relegated to the land of outlet shopping. Still, the feel and fit is exceptional. FWIW I saved $442.00 on it so you better believe I'm still happy with it! [​IMG] [​IMG]

BTW: Does anyone have an idea what a tie from Piaget would cost at full retail?

It's not a diffusion line at all. It's just a jacket made with Zegna fabric (Zegna manufactures clothing and also operates textile mills).

5. J'aimelescravates

J'aimelescravates Well-Known Member

Maybe diffusion is the wrong word. Everything I've read though indicates that Gritti is Zegna's outlet exclusive line. It is made in mexico in the same factory as the z zegna's...

6. pejsek

pejsek Well-Known Member

That Oxxford suit sounds like a 60s tonic suit. What size it it?

What is a 60s tonic suit? It's very unusual to my eye. I don't have any personal recollection of the 1960s, but I find it plausible to imagine a sort of evening social suit that straddled the tuxedo line (if that's what you're getting at). I'll try to post some pictures tomorrow.

7. LabelKing

LabelKing Well-Known Member

What is a 60s tonic suit? It's very unusual to my eye. I don't have any personal recollection of the 1960s, but I find it plausible to imagine a sort of evening social suit that straddled the tuxedo line (if that's what you're getting at). I'll try to post some pictures tomorrow.

It sounds swank, the sort of thing you'd wear in a Morris Lapidus designed building whilst smoking.

8. Nataku

Nataku Well-Known Member

Picked up some goodies last weekend at the American Cancer Society's World's Largest Garage Sale. Coppley black DB suit, perfect fit and brand new with the pockets still sewn shut. $15. Can anyone tell me anything on the company? It seems to be well made, and was made in Canada. Ermengildo Zegna mainline (blue label) blue 2 button suit. Again, perfect fit with pockets sewn shut. $15 Jhane Barnes orange lambskin jacket, similar to this one. NWT, $20 http://www.jhanebarnes.com/shop/inde...roducts_id=454 Shirts from T&A, TM Lewin, Etro, St Croix, Eredi Pisano, RLPL, Rufus, Ted Baker and Bruli. All were $1-$3 a piece. Wild purple plaid waistcoat with brass buttons from The Tie Rack in London. Looks to have never been worn and is pretty recent. $4 Passed up tons of NWT Jhane Barnes stuff, which was all donated from Neiman Marcus.

9. EL72

EL72 Well-Known Member

It's not a diffusion line at all. It's just a jacket made with Zegna fabric (Zegna manufactures clothing and also operates textile mills).

He is correct. Gritti is a lower end diffusion line made by Zegna specifically for their outlet stores.

10. meister

meister Well-Known Member

Okay its the suit of the sixties. One of my ex- Liverpool mates got married in one. It is basically a wool-terylene mix and most importantly mohair to give the lustre/shine and a nice handle. The USA Palm Beach suits of the 20s-40s also had a bit of mohair as well - by the way - to get their similar look and handle.

They are being made in London again by a company called Merc but are not crash hot - better to by the real eBay version. I believe the US sharkskin thing was in the same league and is on the comeback. Neiman Marcus had a tonic suit by Paul Smith last year or so.

11. distinctive

distinctive Well-Known Member

So I stopped by a local Goodwill and found a nice pair of AE Sanfords for $1.67. I'm feeling like it was worth the trip until getting in line and seeing the guy in front of me has a like new pair of Brooks Shell Cordovan loafers. Two minutes late and $250 lost.[​IMG]

12. AlanC

AlanC Well-Known Member

^Bummer. I came across a decent pair of Park Avenues yesterday that could have looked pretty good with some attention. Then I noticed they had connected the shoes with a plastic string through the side leather of each shoe. [​IMG]

13. tonylumpkin

tonylumpkin Well-Known Member

So I stopped by a local Goodwill and found a nice pair of AE Sanfords for $1.67. I'm feeling like it was worth the trip until getting in line and seeing the guy in front of me has a like new pair of Brooks Shell Cordovan loafers. Two minutes late and $250 lost.[​IMG]

Bet he'd have sold them to you for $50 on the spot.

^Bummer. I came across a decent pair of Park Avenues yesterday that could have looked pretty good with some attention. Then I noticed they had connected the shoes with a plastic string through the side leather of each shoe. [​IMG]

Why must they do this.[​IMG] They already have holes in them!

14. distinctive

distinctive Well-Known Member

[​IMG] I actually did offer him $20- didn't seem like he wanted to part with them.

What happened to rubber bands?? I hate that crap

15. swb120

swb120 Well-Known Member

Limited success today: found a pair of black Ferragamo wingtips in 10B in pretty good shape for $4, and a pair of Zegna casual pants in my size for $6. Not bad for Pittsburgh thrifting (as tonylumpkin can attest), but pales in comparison to your finds in NYC, DC, SF, etc. I have thrifting envy!

16. kakemono

kakemono Well-Known Member

no really a thrift, but I went to Saks Off 5th today and got a Ralph Lauren 100% Cashmere sweater.

Originally marked at $399. On sale for $197; Clearanced to $45.97; 30% off clearance. All in all: $30.27 down from $399.

17. YoungAmerican

YoungAmerican Well-Known Member

[​IMG] A really nice, very recent YSL coat. Oh how I wish it was my size, I would wear the shit out of it. But too small. put it up for sale. [​IMG] Same deal with this one, a vintage piece from a fancy men's store here in LA. Wanted it BAD BAD BAD, but it's just too small for me. Probably a 40 or so, I'm definitely a 42. put it up for sale. [​IMG] this coat is kind of goofy, custom made, I'm guessing in the 70s, here in LA. The lapel tab actually can't be used to close the lapel across the front... but it does have snaps on the back, which allow you to, uhm, hide it away. Anyway, it's tough to see from this picture, but it fits like a dream, so I decided to buy it and wear it even though it's silly. All those folks who thought Denzel was too mannered with a shoulder patch are going to hate this coat [​IMG].

18. nbutter

nbutter Well-Known Member

no really a thrift, but I went to Saks Off 5th today and got a Ralph Lauren 100% Cashmere sweater.

Originally marked at $399. On sale for $197; Clearanced to $45.97; 30% off clearance. All in all: $30.27 down from $399.

bravo - killer shopping!

19. antirabbit

antirabbit Well-Known Member

Today was kick ass shirt day at Goodwill of all places.

I went to my normal haunt, found a couple of interesting things, 2 db blue open weave blazers, one a custom Hickey Freeman, the other a Polo, both with shell buttons and double vents. I passed, I have 5 blue blazers.

Then I went across the street and found

Turnbull and Asser contrast collar, double cuff, in a crazy and colorful plaid, with white collar and cuffs!

A Sulka plain white, double cuff, spread collar shirt.

A NWOT Hickey Freeman white double cuff, spreak collar, in a lovely herringbone pattern,

A super cutaway collar Polo, in light lavender stripes, nice MOP buttons.

Another Polo white, pique shirt, with a cutaway collar and double cuff.

All in pretty much unworn condition, all with MOP buttons.

Total $14.00

20. AlanC

AlanC Well-Known Member

^Very nice. An instant shirt wardrobe, assuming they're your size.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.