1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cj52racers

Cj52racers Well-Known Member

Small bit of stuff.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cardin is dual vent, ticket pocket, and pretty badass. Any help on age would be awesome!

Vintage kind of day.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Popped my shell cherry. 3 Fl. Imperial Gunboats.

Edit: also, forgot, @Fueco. Any idea of the age on this? Base layer capilene.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
    4 people like this.
  2. dexconstruct

dexconstruct Well-Known Member

I've got horse of a different kind coming. Still in the field.

3. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Well-Known Member

That picture looks like a thinly veiled threat.

Did I brag about my weekend mediocrity?
    Was pretty happy about this, price was thrift steep, but not real steep.
    [​IMG]
    Drawstring leg, button fly chinos in safety orange
    [​IMG]
    A.P.C blue gingham
    [​IMG]
    Paul & Shark graph check
    [​IMG]
    Land's End HT fedora
    [​IMG]
    Swearing off all non-e-thrifting for a few weeks, keep me going fellas.

2 people like this.
  4. PLaydice

PLaydice Well-Known Member

Whats up Randomore? Im in Pasadena selling at every Rosebowl flea market, and I am planning on going to sell Long beach and possibly Ventura too, where you at? you ever come down to San Diego?
    PM me if you would like. Anyone else down? I can show folks a couple spots If you come to my town. I know whats where, you dig? :fonz:

5. drlivingston

drlivingston Well-Known Member

Had a great thrift trip this weekend. Hope to have pics up tomorrow. (Of course, it's just more stuff to add to my hideous backlog).

6. Tradvocate

Tradvocate Well-Known Member

I am in Santa Barabara and would host a thrift gathering at some point if enough folks could gather. There are also a couple of others I have been meaning to extend this invitation to despite their frighteningly young age. @IRKSM @books and tweed. Ventura is also not far away.

Greg

7. PLaydice

Thrift gathering In Santa Barbara sounds intriguing. Do you have a route worked out with stops?

8. PGRoadhouse

PGRoadhouse Well-Known Member

Had a pretty stellar couple of days. A bunch of pops, some great personal use finds, and a bunch of stuff that should do smashingly on ebay. Available unless otherwise noted.

Things started with a bang:

[​IMG]

Super recent Samuelsohn for the Hound. Kickass lining, beautifully soft.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Cashmere. My size; unavailable. Made for one Eric Danziger, who google informs me is either a hotel magnate or west coast entrepreneur/software guy. Probably the latter, given the Hounds' San Francsico location. There were a few other Hong Kong Bespoke suits in the racks made for the same guy, which I left, and I suspect some of my subsequent finds came from him as well. Quick tip of the hat to Mr. Danziger for his excellent taste and charitable instincts.

The rest of the suit/sc rack was a grab bag of excellence:

[​IMG]

Zegna Su Misura navy wool plaid, 44

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Aquascutum pale yellow tweed with a blue overcheck. Very soft, about a 44

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Austin Reed British wool checked olive tweed. Made in China but the fabric is really nice and the quality is there. 42s.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Unstructured Penguin striped "seersucker" jacket with "the vacation never ends" embroidered on the inside, XL

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Recent Brooks Bros seersucker. Actually an orphan, but should do fine on its own.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There's been some Norm Hilton chatter lately, here's another for the mix. Olive cotton, rumply, 42ish.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Glossy black cotton Zegna Soft jacket, seems quite recent. Very unusual finish to the fabric. The luxe version of the Uniqlo I found the other day, essentially.

[​IMG]

And finally, one more for my closet: an ancient Brooks Bros USA corduroy jacket. That Woody Allen shit. I have a cord jacket from rlpl that I love, but it's dark brown so I think I can justify keeping this bad boy. Fits me like a glove. Any guesses on the age?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finds from the rest of the store were more subdued, but still satisfying.

A matched pair of those perfect old Brook Bros oxfords, white and green striped. Toying with the idea of keeping these. They're baggy, but I like my bb a bit baggy.

[​IMG]

Then some odd Stanley Blacker Couture patent leather loafers, made in Italy. My size, should look pretty boss with the Zegna tux, BB bowtie and formal suspenders I found in recent weeks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A Marmot two layer jacket with hood and urrthang, XL.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And then, as I took my customary swing past the art section, these popped out at me:

[​IMG]

Been had Paul Klee x 3 (not actually 100% sure that middle one is Klee, more on that post spoiler).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Professionally framed, ready to hang. These first two I think are boilerplate prints (although with the frame theyd still run ~$150), but the big one has some interesting notations on it and is in a nicer setting... no sign of a signature... it might be out of view? Or nonexistent. @JFST any idea if this is something? Either way, my walls just got a little more awesome.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry to any fans of brevity, but it's not over. After braving a casually racist SA at the register, I returned the next day to poke around the remains like I usually do after a big find. There had been a friends and family sale the night before, so I wasn't hopeful. I'm glad I went.

First thing in my hands on the suit rack was this:

[​IMG]

Pop

[​IMG]

Beautiful camel hair db Brioni. First one I've handled, I understand all the fuss. 44, unvented.

These cropped up about six inches down the rack:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Two seemingly brand new Hackett Tweed jackets, fabric woven in Scotland, baller pattern, fit me perfectly (especially gratifying considering the functional sleeves buttons). Great details, Pockets basted, spare buttons in the pocket. Unstructured and unlined, really perfect casual tweeds, if a bit loud. Love that blaze orange/suede undercollar.

Moving on -

[​IMG]

A two layer Nike jacket with a removable, reversible vest interior. Pretty cool, will likely pay for the day's adventure.

[​IMG]

And then on the way out the door, I snagged these from the the piles of stuff waiting to get shelved:

[​IMG]

Santoni Suede tassel loafs, 11

[​IMG]

And some cool, lightly used Bally wimmins with a gator print. A fantastic couple of days.

19 people like this.
  9. Tradvocate

Tradvocate Well-Known Member

yes intimately--but SB thrifting is not as awesome as you might expect. A SB /Ventura adventure is an all day affair but "could" but lucrative but honestly it's a roll of the dice. Yet we have perfect weather, wine tasting, beaches.

10. dexconstruct

dexconstruct Well-Known Member

All from today (pinky swear). Excuse the shitty pics.

Mercer and Sons OCBDS - for the true trads.

[​IMG]

Brioni and Jil Sander

[​IMG]

Some technical stuff. Pearl Izumi is a thing right @Fueco

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Two jackets- unvented and kinda dated from Zegna, but in beautiful patterns and all cashmere.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And waiting for me at the end of the rack....

OH HAI HORSEY

[​IMG]

And its my size! Shit,

14 people like this.
  11. Snoogz

Snoogz Well-Known Member

I'll thrift my way down to you - that should help seal the deal on some finds [​IMG]

12. PLaydice

Well if SB is so so, Where should we head? It seems folks in poor areas ignore the good stuff in favor of labels the recognize, and in nice neighborhoods they might have some more recent High end stuff for you but its always more costly and More folks are looking for it there. Have to do some research . The wine and beach sounds fun too lol

13. double00

double00 Well-Known Member

I think I like you better as an angry hippy lol.

14. Randomore

Randomore Well-Known Member

Honestly I'm down for wherever. Beach/drinks/thrifts lets do this.

1 person likes this.
  15. rayxlui

rayxlui Well-Known Member

I miss Santa Barbara so much.

2 people like this.
  16. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Well-Known Member

Holy shit! Is that a denim peacoat?! Brodeetz! For some reason, I've always pictured you to be skinnier. Not sure why. [​IMG]

Wait, did she agree?

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  17. Thrift Vader

Thrift Vader Well-Known Member

I always thought he was like a 40-42.... still an awesome dude, whatever size. meeting the good guys on here is on my bucket list.

And it's cool to see all the Cali Bros organizing a meet.Have a beer for me guys. wish i was there. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
    3 people like this.
  18. ATLjon

ATLjon Well-Known Member

A lot of good stuff, but those Hacketts are awesome.

5 people like this.
  19. eazye

eazye Well-Known Member

^^^^^Agreed. :drool: Sup morning crue!

1 person likes this.
  20. Cj52racers

Cj52racers Well-Known Member

Morning gents, best of luck in your thrifting adventures today.

3 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.