1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Well-Known Member

Crew fits you far better than it fit me. Glad I could help.

That jacket from linda is pretty damn cool too! Good find!

1 person likes this.
  2. OliT

OliT Well-Known Member

Dibs if 12.5 or 13D!! I've been looking for some LHS for a while now.

3. Takai

Takai Well-Known Member

Decided today to break out the Funigan again, but this time in a more serious fashion.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hat: Aquascutum (Flea Market)
    Coat: Wilkes Bashford (Thrift)
    SC: BB (Thrift)
    Cardigan: BBBF (Discount store)
    Shirt: Armani (Swap with a friend)
    Tie: Hickey Freeman(Thrift)
    Pants: Closed (Discount Store)
    Shoes: Sutor Mantellassi (E-thrift)

Stopped by my local shop to see how they had fared through the weather, they were having an extra 30% off all mens pants sale. So I picked up a couple of things.
    [​IMG]
    Current/Elliot Sample jeans Raw, 12-14oz Cone Mills Slevedge, sz25. Sending these to @Thrift Vader For his wife.

Also some NWT LVC 519s in Buckthorn Brown 33x34, fit TTS, and very thin in the legs. Available.

Shout out to @Nataku When I got home I found a package, and as I opened it, it began to snow outside. Thank you much, and I will keep you posted on the progress, but please do take your snow back, that was not part of the deal.

8 people like this.
  4. Jompso

Jompso Well-Known Member

Well I'm all about Japanese selvage denim, I fuckin sleep in my shits, my rotation right now are 3 iron hearts (one's SBG (555-03s) so it doesn't get as much PT as the 22-301s or the 555-01s, flat head 05 bsps or DH MIJ's (random I know), point being is that I know the game, so I thought it'd come natural. But Fuck. That. Shit. You're dealing with like 7 different models, 3 different repro lines, mad fakes, LVC comin through with the orange tab big E, the different denim type (xx or no), a flooded/saturated market, the Repros vs Originals and how repro Raws rivalved Originals in value, how much collecting vs. actual wearers there are, the different fucking washes and worth of said wash, the market for raw 1947 vs 1954s vs the 1955s vs the 1966s or whatever the fuck etc, and every swingin dick puttin "BIG E" in the title of their fuckin listing. No fucking order, and with no order, there is chaos, and I just felt like I may be better at being the fairly knowledgable and avid admirer and let others play the game of how many different ways I can let people know my red tabs have A BIG MOTHERFUCKING E ON THEM. So I got 5 pairs deep in the game....then dumped those quick and got the fuck out.

1 person likes this.
  5. 330CK

330CK Well-Known Member

Oil painting I'm giving to my parents for their cabin. Probably painted in the 20s/30s or so.
    [​IMG]

More pics of the flight helmet
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Painting by Lloyd Garrison. His Revolutionary Way-themed paintings do quite well.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cotton/cashmere Rota cords
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Charles Cotonay chick's shirt
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Three Graces repro by Alva Museum Reproductions. Original is in the Louvre
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BNIB Thurston braces
    [​IMG]

BNWOB SLP heels
    [​IMG]

1954 bespoke, navy blue, double breasted, velvet collar overcoat. hand-sewn buttonholes. nice work throughout.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15 people like this.
  6. double00

double00 Well-Known Member

Too true, but everything you've just written is also true for classic menswear. Every other post on this thread is about a fake (or not fake) Hermes tie lol. Or whether Caruso or Corneliani made a PRL suit lol. As for why do people buy, whether for collecting or for wearing? Who gives a fuck? - money is money and paid is paid! Good responsible sellers know what they're selling, and I'm pretty confident just about everybody on this thread knows or is capable of learning. it's hard to cut through the market bullshit tho but I guess that's just the game...

1 person likes this.
  7. Jompso

Jompso Well-Known Member

I meant like which models trended more towards attracting collectors over actual consumers and how that fact alone could affect ending price, cuz there could be some crazy wash that no sane person with a mirror would ever wear but they'd be limited as fuck, that's what I was saying....and as far as the debating on this thread, you hang around long enough, you kinda know who to zone out for info and who to listen to, and if your still not convinced, it's perfect motivation for you to go and find out for yourself, i.e. learning, shit that must never stop in this game, the constant and consistent acquisition of new information, whether it is about your customers, or your product.

I know Corneliani has had exclusive rights to the Ralph Lauren Blue Label Italy line since at least 2006, so fuck all that other noise. if it's none of my business or isn't helping me or helping one or all of my fellow thread mates, then it's a waste of time....and the "who gives a fuck" flippant approach isn't the way to go. This is the type of shit that dictates your money. You need to give a fuck, give lots of fucks, about every aspect of this shit and always be learnin. Cuz money isn't just money then...money turns into a lot of fucking money.... "that market bullshit" is what's dictating your monthly nut. It's in your best interest to try and cut through it.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  8. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Well-Known Member

Lol, yeah Japanese selvedge lines tend to be a bit on the cut and dry side. Well, Levi's has been around since forever and they are a huge fucking company and massively produce shit so it's understandable for them to dump out tons of shit just to stay fresh but they've over flooded the market with okish denim. But the original vintage can bring shit tons of $ as we've seen on here time after time again. Oh and that's why I sent my shit to Snoogz for him to sort out all the details while I'll just tell him what I know. Also, those are the reasons why I always defer Levi's jawnz to @double00 . Oh yeah, I've been eye balling a pair of DH cinch back selvedge for a bit...But, I've already gotten rid of shit tons of jeans from my personally collection. I only have 3 pairs of Gustin, a pair of Iron Heart, a pair of Guilded Age, a pair of Lee Japan, a pair of something else...Forgot...

+ 3.5

Too lazy to thrift but I dream of the day when I cop a pair of dead stock vintage Levi's Big E.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
  9. double00

double00 Well-Known Member

It's a perfectly legitimate way to go if yer selling at auction. I've done just fine with my vintage denims this way, I just list em accurately and the market clears.

10. timhortons

timhortons Well-Known Member

Grabbed just a little today. A bit dry lately

This DB Blazer is great! First Canali I've found without holes.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

This BB is real nice. For a big boy. 46Lng
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

First BBGF I've found. Seems really, really ancient. 80s maybe?
    2pc Suit. 46Lng, 6-in drop
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  11. ATLjon

ATLjon Well-Known Member

Idaho pickup. Spotless.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  12. timhortons

timhortons Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Nice. Those buttons are a real nice touch.

13. suited

suited Well-Known Member

My first corduroy oxxford (n/a)
    [​IMG]

Sulka, unstructured, dual vent, patch pockets, etc (n/a)
    [​IMG]

5 people like this.
  14. Jompso

Jompso Well-Known Member

We're in two different places here. I was addressing your ease to dismiss potentially profitable information, I'm fairly positive not that you meant it that way, just addressing the way it came across...I wasn't specifically addressing the denim still, it was sorta a whole encompassing type thing.

1 person likes this.
  15. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Well-Known Member

Shortest @Jompso post ever!

2 people like this.
  16. Jompso

Jompso Well-Known Member

Haha, that award may have already been dolled out, but either way, I got a photo dump from wednesday's hauls that I'll be sure to make suuuppper short...naw.

3 people like this.
  17. mrcmcklwht

mrcmcklwht Well-Known Member

18. ReubenR

ReubenR Well-Known Member

Not true thrift and perhaps a touch high to really be an e-thrift, but I've been looking for a good chunky cardigan a while now and this NOS Lord Jeff fits the bill quite well (especially at $45). 35/65 camelhair/Aussie lambswool, woven and made in the USA, and appears to have some pretty nifty rooster-embossed leather buttons:

[​IMG]

7 people like this.
  19. Thrift Vader

Thrift Vader Well-Known Member

A short story, about how this thread. and one member in particular. whom i have to thank for living the dream.

some time ago, @SpooPoker thrifted a Ferrari. i went around asking the local car guys what kind of awesome stuff was available to thrift. while doing the rounds to snap some pics i met a really cool guy. who showed me around his shop. i took a ton of pics. and we talked about cars, and what they say about the owners,etc. (style wise) and getting really nerdy about supercars. even mentioning this website and explaining that i was there as a result of our banter. i had a blast.

and then just before winter last year, i hurt my back in a bad way. resigned from my work, and took time off to heal. recently, i had been trying to re-enter the workforce. finding plenty of employers reluctant to work with a foreigner. after showing nothing can stop me. and going back to the employment agency daily for nearly 2 weeks, with many fails.

one morning the job guy hands me a paper. imagining the worst, i look at the employers name. "oh, F*#k! i know this guy. "Really", yeah call him, tell him a guy in a suit who drove Skyline when you met wants a job. he calls, chats, hangs up the phone. with a WTF??? look on his face he says "he asked for you to come immediately".
    - byeeee!!!!!!! *speed walk for the door. [​IMG]

i get there, and the dude's like. Long time no see man! right? it's been too long. (actually, it's a high end place, out of my range) and we sit down we catch up, and he asked about what i drive these days, and finally ? " so really, YOU are looking for a job???"
    - yeah man, i haven't worked in months.... "when do you want to start?" uh...... why not now? i'll just call my wife and tell her i'll be late. [​IMG]

so now, after i've settled in. i am wrenching on cars, from around the world. Ferrari's, Porsche, Lotus,TVR,etc...... and of course, the regular rides that keep the bills paid. A perk of this job? we have a race team, and i can expect to be paid to fly around the world, as part of a race team pit crew.[​IMG]= hotels, pit lane,merchandise, and having a part-time (seasonal) race team available to help wrench on my own car???? [​IMG][​IMG] Aaaawwwwww Yissssssss.........

It's the most amazing chance at something new. from a surprise meeting, all because one guy thrifted his way to his dream ride, and we all want to get in on the action.

Thankyou Spoo, and thankyou thread heads. because of this very thread? i'm living my dreams.
    from amatuer wrencher/street racer, to pro pit crew mechanic/ track day "bird" flipper. you guys are a part of it.

Some great people on here, I tip my hat to all of the good guys who unknowingly made this possible.

Thankyou!!!!!!!!!!!

33 people like this.
  20. richnet12

richnet12 Well-Known Member

Can someone translate. I don't speak Californian.

3 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.