1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mack11211

mack11211 Well-Known Member

Where do you live, fashionslave, or more accurately where do you shop? 'subway' suggests nyc.

I have had lousy luck recently; a few good shirts from les copains, arnys, agnes b, and one nice kiton tie, but little more.

2. pejsek

pejsek Well-Known Member

I think there's some sort of a disease at work here. I'm constantly feeling like the good old days of thrifting are all gone, but then when I total up the last two weeks I find I've uncovered 1 RLPL suit, 2 Borrelli shirts, 1 Loro Piana shirt, ties by Etro, Charvet, Hermes (why do the scarf prints get no respect?) and loads of nice stuff for my wife--the lightest vintage Hermes reversible alpaca coat, Hermes scarves, and highly impractical Richard Tyler shoes. Could it really get much better? Sometimes I think my idea of a find has become so refined that it only encompasses things like vintage Savile Row (or Caraceni or Knize), Sulka dressing gowns, Connoly luggage, and immaculate unworn bespoke shoes from the masters. If I don't reach this level it's just another ho-hum day. Is there any help for me or will I just keep ramping it up?
    BTW, I love old Brioni stuff. The stores here used to be full of it and I've seen plenty of ties like the one in j found. I have a vague painful memory of a pink Brioni dinner jacket I once passed up on the Halloween rack at the Goodwill. Why did I think that $5 would have been put to better use somewhere else?

3. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Well-Known Member

there is definitely a disease, although in my case it's the one that makes me spend most of my lunch hours at the goodwill, as opposed to sitting in a nice cafe somewhere or running some useful errands. it's also the one that makes me conceal my too-frequent purchases from my wife, sneaking them into the laundry in the hopes that she won't notice. it's not a matter of money, but of Space and Stuff.

however, as addictive or obsessive behaviors go, this one is fairly benign, so i'll stick with it until something even more benignly interesting comes along.

/andrew

4. Fashionslave

Fashionslave Well-Known Member

Mack,I live in NYC but my job involves travel throughout the entire Northeast,so on a given day,I can be in Hartford,Greenwich,Boston,or Wash.DC.,etc.I have a working grid of all the good thrift shops which I visit regularly.NYC's been really well picked over lately. I guess your Tommy Nutter blazer was the best thing unearthed recently.I found the Gieves suit and Fallan&Harvey jacket in Providence.Good luck picking. [​IMG]

5. Horace

Horace Well-Known Member

Anyone know if Keezer's in Cambridge, Mass. is still any good for quality togs?

6. Fashionslave

I was there last week,as they were part of my grid of places,but nothing of interest there.Unless you seek used Brooks Brothers or Southwick suits for $85-125.,but then again,many thrift stores have them for much less.

7. j

j Well-Known Member

Today's haul: two Chester Barrie suits in 40R or 40S (haven't measured, they are borderline) - 2b, double vent, one in hard worsted navy pinstripe and one in softer worsted muted tan check (glen plaid-ish). Navy one in great shape, tan one a little more well used and has some small spots on the pants I think I can get out. If not, it will become store credit, or maybe someone will want the jacket for odd use. These actually might fit me once altered.

Also, one pair old Church's wingtip bals in burgundy, based on the wrinkling might be cordovan, but more likely Church's bookbinder leather, in quite good shape. Broken in, but soles barely worn. Size approx. 12.5C? I need to measure these somehow.

Not to mention the priceless 20 minute break from horrendous traffic this thrift excursion afforded me.

8. Fashionslave

Nice Haul,J. I've scoured the local shops and have come up with a nice pair of Alden Shell cordovan captoe brogues in Burgundy.Just my size,very comfy.Not too much in Suits/sportcoats lately.I found a great pair of superb Robert Talbott dress shirts.i had a beautiful Borrelli shirt in my hands,but it had a huge inkspot in the breast pocket,which had dry cleaning tags,so it looked like it wouldn't budge.I checked,and it went through the cloth into the body of the shirt, elimintaing the possibility of removing the breast pocket. [​IMG]

9. j

j Well-Known Member

Nice on the shoes. For that Borrelli, I would pick it up and take its buttons to put on another shirt.

10. Matt

Matt Well-Known Member

damn, j...what do you do with all this stuff?

11. j

j Well-Known Member

I am stockpiling it all in preparation for the downfall of civilized society that will be known as "Black Casual Friday". After the apocalypse, everyone will need suits and I will be the only one who has such a selection.

In truth, I plan to sell it all at some point. Everything that doesn't fit me, a friend or a family member will have to go - it's just a matter of going through the hassle of either putting it all up on ebay or listing it on here.

12. gorgekko

gorgekko Well-Known Member

Isn't it obvious? He spreads every day's haul on his floor and rolls around laughing gleefully.

13. Matt

Matt Well-Known Member

im not sure you can wear black to work though...

maybe someone should post a thread on that

14. j

j Well-Known Member

(j @ June 10 2005,13:01) "Black Casual Friday".
    im not sure you can wear black to work though... maybe someone should post a thread on that
    Yeah, did we ever get a definitive answer? I mean... IS black suit an appropriate business attire?

15. Matt

Matt Well-Known Member

the only way that thread could have gotten uglier was if kabbaz showed up with michael douglas and an affadavit

16. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

No, there is nothing of worth there these days - you would do much better going to one of the consignment shops on Newbury Street, several of which have a discount system, much lie Filene's basement.

Keezers is good for Naldini style tuxedos these days, is all. And a higher than Ebay prices to boot.

17. Horace

Horace Well-Known Member

(Horace @ June 09 2005,00:21) Anyone know if Keezer's in Cambridge, Mass. is still any good for quality togs?
    No, there is nothing of worth there these days - you would do much better going to one of the consignment shops on Newbury Street, several of which have a discount system, much lie Filene's basement. Â Keezers is good for Naldini style tuxedos these days, is all. Â And a higher than Ebay prices to boot.
    Ah, poor Keezers. Used to be the place where you could sell your clothes mid term and buy them back the next. A lot of old Rogers Peet stuff to be found then...

18. Fashionslave

(LA Guy @ June 10 2005,14:02)
    Anyone know if Keezer's in Cambridge, Mass. is still any good for quality togs?
    No, there is nothing of worth there these days - you would do much better going to one of the consignment shops on Newbury Street, several of which have a discount system, much lie Filene's basement. Â Keezers is good for Naldini style tuxedos these days, is all. Â And a higher than Ebay prices to boot.
    Ah, poor Keezers. Â Used to be the place where you could sell your clothes mid term and buy them back the next. Â A lot of old Rogers Peet stuff to be found then...
    Yea,those were the days.I remember finding glorious bespoke Anderson & Sheppard suits (with some professer's name inside the breast pocket)-- for under $100.00.. Them days are long gone,friends. [​IMG]

19. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Well-Known Member

So... Today J and I were wandering around, and he suggested that we go to a thrift store near where we happened to be at, one that he rarely goes to. Its a small place, in the mall no less, and I've never really found anything exciting in there. UNTIL TODAY J was distracted by some overpriced (for a thrift store) suits and a fairly decent selection of dress shirts, I happened to notice the shoe rack. (dramatic music) out of the like seven pairs of mens shoes that were there, I saw these babies poking out. [​IMG] [​IMG] inside of the shoe on the ankle, it says 10/10 1/2 E-202 37694 They show very little wear, and appear to be in excellent shape. Anyone want to clue me in as to how much these should go for, If I ever decide to part with them. (they do fit me rather nicely) My first pair of real dress shoes... I guess EG's aren't a bad place to start. [​IMG] Plus, the price was right. Upon examining the EG site, they appear to be Chelsea's in the 202 last.

20. A Harris

A Harris Well-Known Member

If they are in as nice a condition as they appear, then $299 on ebay, maybe more if you write a good auction.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.