1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TJGent87

TJGent87 Well-Known Member

@Jompso don't fight boss just post and ignore as long as you're putting long post in spoilers you have nothing to worry about. Punctuation errors is something that fills web forums.

Yes I recently learned that Isaia makes stuff for a lot of ppl I wouldn't have expected. I recently posted a pic of a Michael Bastian have by Isaia, I've seen Valentino start checking those tags/labels.

2. Koala-T

Koala-T Well-Known Member

3. dappercanadian

dappercanadian Well-Known Member

@Jompso I don't think anybody is attacking you, just offering suggestions. Personally, I find your posts insightful and don't mind the non-thrift talk. Like you said, get a group together with common interests and we're bound to steer off topic from thrifting. That said, your denim post is really good information, it's just difficult to read. Breaking it up into paragraphs rather than a giant block of text would make it a lot more comprehensible and easier to read, which is what I think the other posters were trying to get at. Just a suggestion dude, no need to go on the defensive (although I understand from all the other flak you've received here) [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 5, 2014
    3 people like this.
  4. troika

troika Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Sorry man, but it seems like you're unwilling to give anyone else the benefit of the doubt as well.

A while ago @barrelntrigger and I wrote up a super detailed and properly formatted thing for people to easily access and learn about denim. Many people from this thread and other forums have benefited from it. Every few months when the topic of noobs knowing nothing about denim inevitably rears it's head, I post a PSA inviting people to read the doc and learn more about it.

So please don't clog my precious thread with your condescending bullshit.

3 people like this.
  5. 330CK

330CK Well-Known Member

Bookmark these pages and in a few years come back and re-read them. You'll probably face palm yourself and realize why you're getting so much shit.

Also, Isaia has not provided private label goods for anyone in recent history. They are produced in a separate factory that used to do Michelangelo, and now produces all the Eidos stuff.

4 people like this.
  6. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

Lighten the fuck up.

I have no problem with the content of your post, just that it's a wall of text. If you know anything about how people use the internet, you know that walls of text are bad.

That being said, @troika seriously wrote a very thorough guide to the denimz. Check it out.

1 person likes this.
  7. Jompso

Jompso Well-Known Member

I ADDED PARAGRAPHS...I WEIRDLY THOUGHT THAT IF I DIDN'T IT WOULDN'T LOOK AS LONG AND AS OBSESSIVE, BUT I WAS CLEARLY MISTAKEN. NOW IT JUST LOOKS LIKE A HIGH SCHOOL ESSAY. WHATEVER SORRY I'M NOT SORRY. THAT SHIT TOOK TIME SO TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT.

(for those unaware of the tone here, I am not yelling, there is no cursing, attacks, or defensive talk. I am likening my sentence structure and inability to create paragraphs, then creating said paragraphs to look like a teenagers 5 paragraph homework assignment. This wouldn't be the case if I were yelling or saying this in anything but a regular tone)

@Koala-T Isaia is making their top tier line for DC? Are you sure about that?

@TJGent87 Yea, they produce for Valentino Tailoring line, some Loro Piana suiting, Pre-06 was all Brooks Brothers Italy Jackets and Suits, now it Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece made in Italy, Brooks Brothers Hand Tailored Line, Michealangelo, Barneys Piatrelli (?) and yes I know this to be true because I have a Isaia suit from them, Lucien Pellat Finet the $1,000 dollar pot leaf cashmere T-Shirt company, some Paul Stuart (I believe Stuart's Choice). Then of course their own in house separate lines, with different levels of quality there. It's weird, I know there are a few others and I am drawing a complete blank.

1 person likes this.
  8. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

This is the kind of attitude that gets people pissed off around here.

You might as well come out and say, "I know what I'm talking about, the rest of you are flaming turds who know shit about clothing." There was another poster who recently got a whole lot of shit for the same attitude. Fortunately, he hasn't been around for more than a month.

Yeah, your post contained useful information; but it was difficult to read (especially for those of us who frequently use the forum on a mobile device), it's been covered many times over, and you presented it with an off-putting attitude.

The amount of knowledge of clothing manufacture that passes through this thread on a daily basis is mind-blowing. You're just one of many knowledgeable people here.

5 people like this.
  9. othertravel

othertravel Well-Known Member

Isn't Michaelangelo a diffusion line? I think that's the actual name of the factory too.

10. Koala-T

Koala-T Well-Known Member

Don't yell. It will not garner you followers, or make your experience here any more pleasant. Keep posting. Everybody seems to like what you are saying. Just don't take stuff personally. This is the internet. It's full of assholes. And sometimes, we (you, me, everyone else here) are the assholes.

And yes, apparently they used to, but from what 330CK says, I guess they don't anymore. Maker labels don't lie, though. And this isn't the first time it's been mentioned in the thread, either.

1 person likes this.
  11. Jompso

Jompso Well-Known Member

Totally agree, and that was just my primordial brain instinctively becoming defensive when opposed to being acknowledged appreciatively for the amount of information that I have taken a long time to acquire and summing it down to 1 extremely fucking long paragraph in the span of a half hour, I got non-complacent remarks about my inability to create paragraphs and how I hurt peoples eyes. You're right, I never thought of the mobile users. I thought since it was spoiler-ed this wouldn't effect people. I now know that I just can't go off on tangents like this at all and if I need to discuss or inform someone of something, I will PM them personally and if it becomes topical on the forum I will ask if anyone would like me to copy and paste what I wrote. I did not mean to come off like an asshole there, I know a lot of people here most likely know far more about clothes than I do, I just felt attacked so I came back.

1 person likes this.
  12. Jompso

Jompso Well-Known Member

I didn't mean for that to come off as me yelling. That was in caps as to be a public service announcement to all. If i was yelling I probably would have been cursing and not likening my writing skills to adolescent essay formats.

Edit: And that's interesting, I would think they would use the Gian Luca line to make theirs, as to not cheapen their own in house line by making suits for some Candian brand. That's like Isaia making top tier stuff for Jack Victor, nothing against Jack Victor, his top line shit is Canali level, but he isn't worth of top level Isaia either.

Edit: #2 @TJGent87 , no need to check all of Valentinos stuff, theres about 30 lines out there that has his name on them, either related or trying to bank off his name, the only line that used Isaia was the valentino line that Says VALENTINO in gold lettering and then right under it says TAILORING in matching said gold lettering. This should save you about 3 hours if your stores have the same amount of Valentino garbage that some of the ones I go to have.

1 person likes this.
  13. classicthrifter

classicthrifter Well-Known Member

I so want to put this in my signature line (if only it were true).
    [​IMG]

@Jompso , still glad you are here.

3 people like this.
  14. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Well-Known Member

My brain hurts from this thread today.

1 person likes this.
  15. 330CK

330CK Well-Known Member

I don't know the exact details, whether diffusion or subsidiary would be a better word. The factory that makes garments tagged Isaia is different from the factory that does Michelangelo, Eidos, Valentino Tailoring.

I wasn't clear: the tag is the same, the factory is not.

16. GMMcL

GMMcL Well-Known Member

So who's going to broker the Yalta-conference equivalent for the thread and end Thrift-down V (or whatever incarnation we're up to at this point)?

Everyone remain calm and thrift on.

For those of us stuck in an office, pictures please.

17. troika

troika Well-Known Member

DONE DID IT THANKS @Fueco

18. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Well-Known Member

Wow y'all, thanks for so much shit for me to ignore.

...and thanks for the good info, I will be on the lookout.

This is one of those brands that I'm happy to pick up when it feels right. I did extremely well with a heavy wool/cashmere overcoat that I picked up because, 1. shit was 99 cent (ok, 7.99) and 2. it was super nice and it fit, so worst case I could use it in my rotation of 100 coats for the 10 coat weather days here.

That recent Kiton Blanc Blu I found a couple weeks ago. That 14micron/Super 180s is ridiculous fabric.
    I buttoned the top button because it really didn't want to roll, I'll let the next owner fix that.
    [​IMG]

This just in (literally, from teh postman)
    [​IMG]
    Dear Person Who Doesn't Know What He/She Is Doing,
    Thank you very much for the Maus & Hoffman tie, it's lovely.

6 people like this.
  19. arnathor

arnathor Well-Known Member

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Willing to proxy

Zegna, brioni, brioni

20. Lirum

Lirum Well-Known Member

dibs on any <15° western moutaineering/mountain hardwear bags.

i want to do some winter trips but sleeping cold is awful.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.