1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. div25sec9

div25sec9 Well-Known Member

I'm looking to get my sister a purse for her birthday. If any of you guys pick these up while at the thrifts, send me a pm!

2. highvoltorb

highvoltorb Well-Known Member

Spoilers are good. I think you could do with reading another 1000 pages of the thread when you get the chance. A good portion of that haul wasn't really worth posting. That Southwick looks pretty great though. Did you happen to find the pants for it?

1 person likes this.
  3. masaccio

masaccio Well-Known Member

If you have a connection at the company, that is your best source of advice for the appropriate level of dress. The guys on the forum (and you, yourself) are likely to do a 1000x better job of helping with fit, details, etc., but let your insider be the guide on whether or not a suit is a good call.

I work in tech in a casual industry and even an OCBD and chinos would make you one of the best dressed people here.

A suit wouldn't set you back in an interview here, especially if you know your s**t. But everyone, yourself included, would likely feel more comfortable in something a little more casual.

As far as footwear, whatever is most comfortable. If anybody's looking at your shoes for more than a glance, the interview's not going well.

4. bpk1

bpk1 Well-Known Member

Good to know, figured the suit was flippable, as well as the YSL for how little I've got into them. Worst that happens is I get a good lesson on what does, and does not sell.

5. div25sec9

I work in IT as well and have done interviews for positions where I worked. The best advice is to dress a level better than you are required to dress at work, not too much higher than that.

There are many things that can be interpreted from how you dress, overdressing can be just as much a negative as not dressing well enough. You want to look like you care about how you are presenting yourself, but don't want that to be the focus. You want them to go away thinking "he presented himself well, both in his manner and dress", not thinking about some particular clothing choice. The employers are looking for someone to be part of a team, you want to look like you will fit in...as odd as it might sound, you don't want them to have the impression that you think you view yourself as superior to that team by the way you dress.

If things go well, you might even be shown around and introduced to coworkers, superiors, and client contacts. Once again, you don't want the clothing choices to be a distraction in these scenarios either.

6. bpk1

bpk1 Well-Known Member

No luck finding the pants for the Southwick.

Are Canali, BB, Paul Stuart, Polo, and Eton no bueno? Could've sworn I've seen a bunch of it in the past ~250 pages. Heck even some Vineyard Vines in your recent post history. Guess I should wait til I find something made of Vicuna, or cashmere Brioni, til I post the next thrift haul. Back to reading for the previous 1000 pages :)

7. DanM

DanM Well-Known Member

With all of those brands, it depends. For personal use, all are good (depending on your personal taste, of course). For flipping purposes, results can vary widely. BB shirts I pass on, unless slim fit and super cheap, or extra slim fit, which do okay. Newer suits I always pick up, as long as I can get them for under $20. Canali I usually pick up, but I've got some that's been hanging in my shop for ages with no attention. Polo, go for vintage or made in Italy. Or jackets with interesting details (think norfolk style jackets). I don't see much Eton, but I thought they did fairly well. Paul Stuart I will almost always pick up, if cheap and in good condition. And definitely in my size - wearing a PS polo right now.

Two things. If you're going to flip stuff, don't pick up orphans unless Brioni caliber or higher. Second, read as much of the thread as possible. At least the last 18 months worth. It's free information and will save you a lot of $$$.

2 people like this.
  8. My Main Man

My Main Man Well-Known Member

For me (by no means an expert):

Canali - always pick up recent unless orphaned or holes. Have never grabbed Proposta because I've never come across one that wasn't dated.
    BB - Shirts: Very rarely grab it unless it's 15.5 ESF for me. I'll grab a sport coat if it's under $10 and recent or a good looking vintage one.
    Paul Stuart - Completely depends on what it is. Run of the mill stuff I've been leaving, louder stuff I've grabbed.
    Polo - I haven't bought a PRL shirt in a long time. Suits and sport coats I get if I like the way they look or are Italian and in good shape.
    Eton - I usually grab the shirts, but the buttons seem to be chipped on most or they've been ironed/dry cleaned so much that there are shiny spots all over them. I leave those.
    VV - I usually grab VV stuff. I don't know why, but I'm drawn to it.

9. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Well-Known Member

All that stuff is fine for personal use. Much of it doesn't have much resale value. BB non-iron shirts, mall-quality Polo, even a lot of Paul Stuart doesn't go for much at resale. So it depends what you're getting the stuff for.

10. bpk1

bpk1 Well-Known Member

Thank you for the info, good to know about the orphans! I will definitely be reading further back in the thread to get as much insight as I can about what to look out for (read back to page 7400 thus far).

11. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

I second this... Having worked mostly in creative/printing positions and in retail management, overdressing for an interview is a surefire way to kill your prospects. Mostly prospective employers will see you as better if you are comfortable and look like you will comfortably fit in within the workplace. The one and only time I wore a suit to an interview was for a position where I would have been running the production for a mid-size printing firm here. The only reason I didn't get the job was that my school schedule would have cut into normal production times (they didn't want to have a split production schedule worked around my schedule).

My best interviews have been ones where I've done a workout beforehand (with a shower between, of course!) and dressed one notch better than the workplace dress code. I was relaxed and sharp enough dressed, but not so much so to come off as arrogant.

12. div25sec9

You can not make broad generalizations when it comes to brands, with a few exceptions. Canali can be good, but some of what you purchased is very old. Not everything old is desirable as styles can look dated. Paul Stuart, BB, and Polo can also look dated and the brands are not uncommon, so once again, you have to look for recent and/or desirable pieces. Eton has it's fans and haters. Many on this forum like their stuff, and many do not. Once again, knowing the labels will ensure you do not pick up undesirable and dated pieces. That one you picked up looks nice. If it was a solid or pattern other than stripes and in my size, I'd be interested.

You seemed to have gone on the defensive quite quick by mentioning that you will wait until Vicuna or cashmere Brioni to post again and focusing your argument on brands that you know are sometimes well regarded here. You know as well as us that the comments were not directed at Paul Stuart, Vineyard Vines, or Eton; but at your pickups of Lauren, YSL Homme, HSM, BB 346, and those Canali pants. We all mess up and pick up bad pieces at some point, so be happy that some are pointing it out to you now. It might hurt your ego a little, but will save you lots of money in the long run and help you learn to distinguish the good from the bad, and the exceptional from the common.

That haul wasn't a disaster, you had some decent pieces in there. Learn from what the senior members tell you and definitely post your next hauls to help refine your skills... and welcome to the board!

2 people like this.
  13. Orgetorix

Kop? http://louisville.craigslist.org/clo/4692262293.html

:hide:

RE: interviews: My large company has gone to "smart casual" at headquarters and dress is often even more casual at other locations. However, the official HR position is still that appropriate interview attire is a suit. I'd ask whoever contacted you about the interview what the expectation is.

14. hbkshin

hbkshin Well-Known Member

I dunno man he's the twoth owner.

15. Principle

Principle Well-Known Member

I've been battling the mothball smell of my new tweed jacket for a 4 days now. Any other ideas than just letting the jacket sit out? It's still pungent enough to take over any room.

16. bpk1

bpk1 Well-Known Member

Sorry if it came across as defensive, was meant to be sarcastic (sometimes doesn't come across well via text/on a forum)! I appreciate all of your insight/help regarding what to look out for/avoid.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
  17. div25sec9

I know I just posted, but I have to comment on this... maybe try a shirt and pants for a fit pic! I know you picked up some awesome denim in Japan, so throw on a pair and a shirt! ...or it could just be your signature photo: Eazy: contemplative expression, looking past the camera or off to the side Spoo: pic one - chest level, pic two: foot shot showing J Crew pants and shoes worth more than everything you're currently wearing Barrel: shorts and no shirt; too busy lifting!

2 people like this.
  18. Orgetorix

Hanging stuff outside in the fresh air and sunshine always works best on smells for me.

19. futuremyth

futuremyth Well-Known Member

forgot one...

Wes: Reverse Macklemore Shorn Beaver Jesus Christ Pose

4 people like this.
  20. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Well-Known Member

Hang it out a line in the sun for a few days. That should help to air it out.

Lolz, yeah, I know. Sorry, this was a few months ago. I literally got done lifting as the post man came. I just threw it on and took a pic. Next time I'll rock something underneath for sure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.