1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tyrone MacStiophain

Tyrone MacStiophain Well-Known Member

It was shocking! I only saw the highlights, but WOW!

2. hbkshin

hbkshin Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6 people like this.
  3. klay49

klay49 Well-Known Member

Convinced the wifey to go on a thriftventure with me to naples...no not that naples...this one...] Naples, Florida is one of the wealthiest cities in the United States, with the 6th highest per capita income in America,[6]and the second highest proportion of millionaires per capita in the US.[7] Real estate is amongst the most expensive in the country, with houses on sale for in excess of $40 million.[8]

Stayin tge night tonight.. thrifting in the am

3 people like this.
  4. rokor

rokor Well-Known Member

Damn hbk, that tie haul... [​IMG]

5. suited

suited Well-Known Member

I've got a spreadsheet on Naples thrifts. My experience has varied. Did great one time, damn near skunked the next time.

6. klay49

klay49 Well-Known Member

shoot me a pm if you know any good spots to hit that you are willing to share

Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
  7. rokor

rokor Well-Known Member

My few pickups from today...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I don't know a thing about this other than it's some sort of sample(Target logo on upper left hand side of the tag?). There are no labels or tags other than the note shown but it's well made and definitely doesn't seem like a Target level piece of clothing. Also looks awesome and definitely fit's with some SWD stuff I can wear on the colder days.

[​IMG]
    A little wrinkly but this is the first Etro shirt I've picked up.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This one's too small for me but it's authentic and came with some knot cufflinks so I grabbed it, haha. Available to anyone who it would fit!

1 person likes this.
  8. jdrizzy

jdrizzy Well-Known Member

I think the cufflinks are Brooks brothers I have the same pair

9. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Well-Known Member

A billion people make silk knots.

3 people like this.
  10. jdrizzy

:tinfoil:

11. rokor

rokor Well-Known Member

Haha. Well I'm almost certain they're not Louis as they're too boring to be, but I have a few french cuff shirts and until this point, no links. I also forgot to mention that I passed on a very recent Versace windbreaker(2011/2012) because it was XL. Anyone think that's a mistake? I've started to only shop for myself so I've given up a bunch of Zegnas and Samuelsohns not in my size as well.

1 person likes this.
  12. Lirum

Lirum Well-Known Member

Also Chelsea. I can't remember but I think Caramel is a line for ties too. Never seen a nine fold, got a link? Edit: Nvm. Wow.

13. jdrizzy

Mainline zegnas are almost always a good pick up, Sammy is good depending on cut and style. Plus there's people here that would like it

14. rokor

rokor Well-Known Member

Yeah, they definitely seem be good sellers. I just can't really justify taking them home for a few dollars profit so unless they're recent or fit well I'll likely continue leaving them on the racks. Maybe my mentality will change as I mature, haha

15. Nataku

Nataku Well-Known Member

Could very well be a high-end designer piece. Does it look like any labels have been removed? When I worked for the Salvation Army about 8 or 9 years ago, Target would donate a lot of their overstock and many samples to the main distribution center in Minneapolis, which is also where Target is based. The stuff would go to the "Target cast-off store" which was in the Salvation Army's basement. Target would buy really high-end stuff and design their clothing using the designer pieces as a guide. A lot of the high-end stuff was from Barneys, Fred Segal, Ron Herman and Bergdorf Goodman but there was a ton of obscure Euro stuff mixed in too with retail prices in British Pounds or Euros. I found a Fred Perry polo shirt there with a post it note stuck to the front that said "alternate stripe colors, enlarge stripes 2". The people working there couldn't tell the difference between this stuff and the Target stuff so it was all priced the same. Some of the best stuff I've found there was a Nice Collective field jacket from Jake in Chicago. Retail was $380-something. Also scored a Umii 908 (45 rpm) denim blazer which I to this day regret selling, Paul Smith mainline tartan check 5 pocket trousers, Woolrich Woolen Mills, Engineered Garments, Icebreaker base layers, dress shirts from Brioni, Isaia and Hamilton, etc. Sadly the supply stopped after a few years. I stop in from time to time and it seems like they get a little bit here and there but they've learned to spot it. Nothing like it used to be. Ah, the good old days..... Anyway, I picked up some records from a stop that is usually really picked over in the vinyl department. Condition was perfect on these as well. A couple I didn't have as well as some much welcome upgrade copies. [​IMG] [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  16. rokor

rokor Well-Known Member

Hmm, I never knew they did anything like that. To be honest I didn't even know they made their clothing based off of others, haha. Target is fairly recent in my area, let alone Canada as a whole, so I thought it would be strange if the coat's associated with it. But no, It doesn't seem like any tags were ever on it. The only possible identifying marks that I can see would be on the zipper(an 8 and a "D") and buttons(male rear-1 star, female rear-8 stars). The sheet is marked as "concept" so I'm thinking it's an early prototype or premarket sample. At the Goodwill I picked it up at there was another that was similar and had the same type of sheet attached, although it was black, smaller, and had a few differences in the pockets and cut.

EDIT: Although you can't see in the pic it's also completely unlined and has a lot of discreet irregularities in the stitching, meaning it was stitched by hand(machine) rather than robot.

17. arnathor

arnathor Well-Known Member

Anyone selling or trading Foulard ties?
    [​IMG]

18. richnet12

richnet12 Well-Known Member

The LV is grail among certain buyers in that other place which shall not be named.

19. richnet12

richnet12 Well-Known Member

Mmmm... thinking some sort of patent infringement class action vs Target...I have the main witness!

1 person likes this.
  20. rokor

rokor Well-Known Member

Just found a virtually identical LV shirt on that site that sold for $100. Damn, I was willing to proxy it a few minutes ago, haha. As for the coat, even if I'm not able to identify it I'm happy I brought it home. I don't own a parka or anything similar and the quality is good enough that I'd be able to wear it happily.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.