1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nataku

Nataku Well-Known Member

Wow! Great album but sealed and promo?! :wow:

2. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

Same here, but 2012. Same for a lot of the brands I now get excited to see in thrift shops.

Funny story re: Patagonia...

I got to the Outlet store just over an hour before the sale started and was chatting with the older couple in front of me in line. I blew their mind by telling them I bought the Synchilla Fleece I was wearing in a thrift store. I didn't have the heart to tell them just how much Patagonia stuff I find in thrift stores... I think I need a sign for my office wall that says, "This dude has gone X days without finding Patagonia in a thrift store". Right now, X=1, but only because I didn't hit any thrift stores today.

2 people like this.
  3. HansderHund

HansderHund Well-Known Member

For the record, I attempted to flag the post about that terrible clothing brand up there as spam, but instead gave it a thumb. Not the first time I've done that, but just wanted to be clear that I'm not endorsing it :embar:

2 people like this.
  4. capnwes

capnwes Well-Known Member

Yeah, practically the entire collection I came across was promos, a ton of them were sealed. The guy I got them from lived next door to a DJ in the late 60's/ early 70's. He and his wife would dig them out of the DJ's trash. lol. Fast forward to 2009....their house half burned down. I packed out their belongings and cleaned everything, when I did restoration. Once the house was rebuilt I took the stuff back over. The turntable didn't survive the ordeal. He told me "Take these records, do whatever you want with them, just don't let my wife see you. We haven't listened to them in 35 years and will never listen to them again. I was going to toss them, but decided to take them home and see if I could sell them. 4 crates full, All Kraut/Prog/Psych stuff. Figured I could get 50 bucks or something. I let them sit for almost a year before I even looked at them again. THEN IT WAS ON. They were flying out the door for $100 a pop and some much more.

Wish I had more.

Last edited: May 22, 2014
    3 people like this.
  5. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Well-Known Member

No prob. You ever thinking of stacking them or cuffing them? All the cool kids do either.

1 person likes this.
  6. capnwes

Damn Hans, you are up early today!

If you are up for the day, that means I should be in bed by now....

7. sparrow

sparrow Well-Known Member

Out for the summer

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. HansderHund

HansderHund Well-Known Member

Haha, I actually overslept this morning. I meant to be up by 5:00. I normally catch the end of the conversations after I wake up and before you guys get to bed.

9. Nataku

Nataku Well-Known Member

Oh man, you lived me dream right there. As you know, that's exactly the stuff I'm into and it ain't cheap! I guess I have expensive tastes in music, too. :laugh:

3 people like this.
  10. capnwes

Learned a lot about reading deadwax. A few of the first pressings were even hand scribed and signed by the producers who pressed them. Was pretty neat stuff.

2 people like this.
  11. capnwes

The best part....since I was selling collectables, mainly old toys, I listened to the albums that were not sealed on old fisher price record players. lol

8 people like this.
  12. Cell247

Cell247 Well-Known Member

It's fun still finding the not so rare psych out there.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  13. Brianpore

Brianpore Well-Known Member

2 people like this.
  14. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Well-Known Member

Have you guys seen a new show called Gang Related? So, I'm watching Gang Related, trying to thrift some cheap thrills, when not even 10 minutes in, I'm in dire need of some Lactase because the amount of cheese is in this show could give me diarrhea for months on end! [​IMG]

15. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Well-Known Member

Crap, is every body's first post horrible? I still have half of this crap sitting in my closet. Out of all of this crap I would have bought the Canali shirt and the EZ tie and that unenthusiastically. A Hot Pink Banana Republic shirt and Jerry Garcia tie??? HAHAHA Should have lurked for several more months.

1 person likes this.
  16. Erichmax

Erichmax Well-Known Member

I bought a pink Armani Exchange dress shirt and a $22 YSL blazer my first time thrifting. It happens to the best of us, bro, it happens to the best of us.

1 person likes this.
  17. klay49

klay49 Well-Known Member

My first post brings back sad memories...the sleeves were about an inch or so short :violin:

3 people like this.
  18. Takai

Takai Well-Known Member

I have them cuffed now, but because of the length the cuff is quite thick.I figure I'll give them a wear today and figure out what is to be done at that point.

19. thefastlife

thefastlife Well-Known Member

:crackup:

20. rokor

rokor Well-Known Member

Nice find on those AF1s! For those who don't know, those are the Supreme Colette x Busy P Nike Air Force 1s. Very desirable among collectors(in unworn condition) despite the humorous colour scheme. I can't tell much about the condition from those pictures but if there's not too much damage they can be worth a fair bit. Are those rips on the inside?

Last edited: May 23, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.