• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

hooker4186

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dude those will look amazing as an odd jacket/vest combo over some trousers. In fact, individually they would work pretty bleeding well.

(shame about the trousers though)

Jerome

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Picked up a Barbour tattersall (xl, available): and this fake Hermes. One day I'll get the real thing.
Nice shirt, I'd wear that, too. The pochette (?) has some Breughel vibe going... Hope that this wasn't posted already, but I just stumbled over this vid that is related to this topic (enjoy if you didn't know it yet!): [VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited:

PointDexter2014

Reaction score
Found these. 2 pieces of a killer 3 piece PRL Corneliani tweed.
baldy[1].gif

Here is my dilemma: nwt, so I could probably do very well. But the styling is great and, despite being tagged 40L, it fits me.
decisions.gif
So yeah, likely I plan to keep and rock the ever loving hell out of each of these, come fall. Oh yeah, working cuffs too.

Also found this vintage PRL USA piece:
The 3 Pieces are sweet. Dam sweet. But couldn't wear here in Texas because of the weather.

dexconstruct

Reaction score
GMMcL, I think there was some discussion a while back about tweed jacket and waistcoats sets being sold as 2 pieces without pants. Any indication that there was pants (tag, price, etc)? I know places like J. Press would do that, and that style of herringbone tweed would be a prime candidate. Either way it totally works without the pants, and that is one of the coolest finds ever.

jebarne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

spam%5B1%5D.gif
So I posted this in the tailors thread as well but I thought I'd post here as well. I recently purchased this jacket off of a fellow forum member, for a fair price, and it's a Su Misura jacket from Zegna. While the measurements looked like they'd be nearly spot on, they don't always convey the whole story. As you can see, my shoulders are relatively even but this gentleman's were not. He has more padding in the left shoulder than the right, causing the jacket to be pronounced on mine. Also the angle of his arms was more forward than mine, creating unpleasant ripples. While it's easily the nicest blazer I own, and is desperately needed in my closet, I'm torn. It's close enough that most people wouldn't notice but I do...
Your tailor can replace the pads. I've had it done in an hsm jacket that came back wrinkled. I think it was $70 to replace

bytor13

Reaction score
Haven't been out too much lately, but did pick this 3 piece tux up last weekend in conjunction with the Scavenger Hunt. I found a little bit about the company, but was wondering if anyone knew anything more or had any idea about age. (N/A)

This thing is HEAVY and seems well made, but would love it if anyone has any more info.

Now I just need to get a set of studs to have a complete black tie rig.

bytor13

Reaction score
Found these. 2 pieces of a killer 3 piece PRL Corneliani tweed.
baldy[1].gif

Here is my dilemma: nwt, so I could probably do very well. But the styling is great and, despite being tagged 40L, it fits me.
decisions.gif
So yeah, likely I plan to keep and rock the ever loving hell out of each of these, come fall. Oh yeah, working cuffs too.

Also found this vintage PRL USA piece:
Those are both great, but that tweed 3 2 piece . . .
drool.gif

SomethingsFishy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fishy went thrifting!

Recent Burberry London suit, 42L- reunited the jacket with the pants! Felt good :D

A bespoke navy blazer and charcoal herringbone suit from Lobos in Dubai! EXTREMELY high quality- at least as good as Isaia, maybe a little better. Spectacular fabric! No tags but I'm sure it's at least a 120s on both garments. Super lightweight too, with minimally padded shoulders. Fully canvassed, pick stitching all over the place, functional cuffs, handworked button holes (except for the cuffs). Jackets are around 40ish, waist on suit is 37"

But the find of the day was definitely these...

1960s American Optical 12k white gold filled aviators! I didn't even know they did a white gold version!

Last edited:

SeaJen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Holy ****, G! That peak lapel tweed is killer!

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sneaked out of work early and started a mini road trip - 3 states over 2.25 days. Only 2 stores today before thrifts started closing; picked up a Michael Bastian x Gant rugby shirt, couple of FU plaid sport coats (I think Wes and one other guy here are the only folks on eBay who use that term; I'm gonna swipe it), Tiki Farm tiki mug, a portable light box that looks brand-new (from a GW no less - had been contemplating buying one on eBay - thrift gods hath delivered), some cheesy 60's or 70's wall art (I collect it, along with velvet paintings etc), couple everyday shirts. Not much. Tomorrow will be a long day - about 10 hours in one town nearby hitting a number of stores - will take a solid 10 hours to go thru them. Then head north for Sunday shopping. Hoping for some nice finds to make the gas / motels / miles worth it...but if not it's nice to get out of town for a bit and hit the open road again.

catside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ahem. Whose tweed?
Athankuverymuch

Thanks, all. Yes, I will wear them as seprate separates.

If it fits and you sell that 2 piece, thrift gods will never forgive you!!

Last edited:

sn0wman

Reaction score
Eton is gold for me. I often find very recent ones and they fit me well in my size (perfect for slim tall fit) and if I don't want to keep them, they sell quick and for at least $30, I've had them go for more than $60 too. It may be sacrilege to say this on SF, but I prefer Eton to most of the Italian brands; sure the quality isn't as high and they aren't hand sewn by an old Italian grandmother, but the fit on me makes them look for better.
I don't know if this is some sort of veiled brag, but it's one of the oddest comments I've read on here. "I might break down one day and buy Kiton".... Leaving that is leaving money.

I agree -- totally love Eton. I prefer it at least as much as I do to Oxxford by Kiton, Fray, T&A, Armani, etc...
I am part of that tall (sort of) slim crowd that you are talking about, so perhaps that in addition to the fabric is the reason.

PointDexter2014

Reaction score
Sneaked out of work early and started a mini road trip - 3 states over 2.25 days. Only 2 stores today before thrifts started closing; picked up a Michael Bastian x Gant rugby shirt, couple of FU plaid sport coats (I think Wes and one other guy here are the only folks on eBay who use that term; I'm gonna swipe it), Tiki Farm tiki mug, a portable light box that looks brand-new (from a GW no less - had been contemplating buying one on eBay - thrift gods hath delivered), some cheesy 60's or 70's wall art (I collect it, along with velvet paintings etc), couple everyday shirts. Not much. Tomorrow will be a long day - about 10 hours in one town nearby hitting a number of stores - will take a solid 10 hours to go thru them. Then head north for Sunday shopping. Hoping for some nice finds to make the gas / motels / miles worth it...but if not it's nice to get out of town for a bit and hit the open road again.
Enjoy your adventure. Be careful. Most important is to relax and have fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads