1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Evil Abed

Evil Abed Well-Known Member

Pure brag of a few finds from the last couple of days. I've had a few days that were busts, but every now and then, you have a day where you pick up something at every store you hit (for some of you that's a regular occurrence I think).

[​IMG]
    A consignment find while on vacation in Santa Barbara. Lady that rang it up was like "Of course the $200 shirt moved quickly at this price, not sure what we were thinking." Hearing this pleased my gf very much.

[​IMG]
    Because Fueco keeps posting mad aloha shirts, I was compelled to give this one a try and see how it does. Oddly enough, I went through a faze in high school where my closet was full of Reyn Spooner and Kahala. Not quite sure why.

[​IMG]
    Skeetus Maximus. With french cuffs (matching knot links still intact) and a double button collar, first time I've seen those features on a skeet in person.

[​IMG]
    Italian skeet.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Amazed at how unsubstantial it was, and that it just doesn't appear folded like a 7 fold should be. Also no lining.
    [​IMG]
    There were other RT's that this shop marked at crazy prices like $12.99… This one was $2, I figured a safe investment/lesson if fake. Though who would fake that
    This piece is interesting...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Particularly pleased with these non clothing finds
    [​IMG]
    Appears to be original, though in a shitty frame. I haven't fully inspected it but the poster itself is thin paper that looks to have been glued to another heavier weight paper, with a shitty matte thrown in for good measure. Regardless, I dig the hell out of it, the colors are great. Will shoot some detail shots of this soon.

And then there's this, which was had for a few Washingtons less than a Lincoln
    [​IMG]
    I saw the cart that had this roll out of the back from across the store, but I was preoccupied and didn't make it right over there. Upon laying my eyes on the case alone, I was pretty sure I knew what was inside. [​IMG] I was right.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This is the Graf von Faber-Castell perfect pencil desk set, of (I believe) the platinum plated variety. Brand new, but without the outer paper box and various papers.

[​IMG]
    Cap has an integrated sharpener and well made spring pivot clip.

[​IMG]
    The rear of each pencil is threaded to accept the cap, also platinum plated.

[​IMG]
    Fine knurling

[​IMG]
    Box joint construction.
    [​IMG] Pretty stoked on finding this.

7 people like this.
  2. edwardthefirst

edwardthefirst Well-Known Member

^^ amazing pencils. I've heard crazy things about retail for those.

Thanks bro, just did.

3. HansderHund

HansderHund Well-Known Member

I've wanted one of these sets for awhile, AMAZING find!

2 people like this.
  4. capnwes

capnwes Well-Known Member

Yes, that is correct, I got a new one a few weeks back at Nordstrom Rack that was the same construction.

5. Nataku

Nataku Well-Known Member

That Seven Fold looks real to me.. Every RTSF tie I've seen was unlined like that. I think your's is of the more recent variety due to the "Robert Talbott Carmel" print on the tail. Also, those pencils are mind-blowing. Wow. Amazing find!

Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
  6. hbkshin

hbkshin Well-Known Member

7. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

Nice looking shirt, though honestly, I haven't had the best of luck with PRL camp/aloha shirts.

Love that vintage cycling poster... I need something like that for my walls!

That pencil set is amazing... I had no idea something like that existed, but now that I do, I kind of want a set. My drawing/sketching side is pushing to the forefront of my mind...

8. OliT

OliT Well-Known Member

That being said, I would gladly accept some of the above as payment for the camping/fishing permit fee come summer.
    Really though: As I've said before, anyone making their way up northern europe (like northern-northern) should come visit my place. It's awesome, and beer is on me.

As for @HansderHund's fit: Awesome. The tie knot looks a little oblong to me, but it's just because I'm constantly struggling with that too.
    And the pencils: So cool. I found a 50's Mont Blanc reservoir pen in working order once, it's still one of my greatest finds.

2 people like this.
  9. Evil Abed

@capnwes & @Nataku - Thanks, really couldn't get my head around the construction of those.

@Fueco Yeah I figured as much, guess we'll see. Re: the pencils, check out the regular versions/extenders. A bit more modern, and economical in comparison. There are many variations to be had across the interwebs.

Is this… A thing? Actually going to go research it more now, grabbed it late yesterday just in case it was something.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. Ken P

Ken P Well-Known Member

@Evil Abed Damn, killing it. As a printmaking major with a fetish for pencils you pretty much got me in complete envy for those two non-clothing finds.
    Raeburn is very much a thing and depending on what it is, a very, very good find.

2 people like this.
  11. size 38R

size 38R Well-Known Member

@HansderHund , aaahhh, I'm not sure if my squares are sewn as neat as yours, i just cut to size, fold the edge twice, then sew it along the middle of the fold. roughly 1 cm for each stitch, but i can see you went finer with yours. [​IMG] Two- sided fabrics look great both ways, but the awesome printed ones only look good in a "Neat" fold. Also, if you want you can make an "Edged Square" by using another fabric folded twice on each side around the edges, just thought of it.
    I will get some pics in the morning. -It's 2am now.

@ridethecliche and others who want to save some coin. And make their own. this might help you out.
    http://www.ehow.com/how_5865284_make-homemade-pocket-square.html

Edit: RTC, I will throw in some material cuts on our trade, so you can make yourself some. [​IMG]

12. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Well-Known Member

1 person likes this.
  13. Evil Abed

Christopher Raeburn-
    [​IMG]
    I believe this is the parachute parka from the AW10 Prepare collection. Found in the women's section, and it appears that's who it's for based on the side the buttons snap on. Though this color is shown for the mens picture on his site. Construction appears the same otherwise.

3 people like this.
  14. jdrizzy

jdrizzy Well-Known Member

Have a great haul from 1 store. A.p.c, rlbl Belstaff etc etc

4 people like this.
  15. ReubenR

ReubenR Well-Known Member

Thanks for the pants, Eazye. I'm allowed back out in public now.

16. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Well-Known Member

Have i mentioned that you've been killing it lately?

1 person likes this.
  17. eazye

eazye Well-Known Member

Hahahaha, glad they worked out for ya! :cheers: :fistbump:

Also, Evil, as a lifelong art student, let me say that I am also in awe over your pencil find! :worship2: :worship: I would stab someone for those!

18. jdrizzy

jdrizzy Well-Known Member

:fistbump: Thanks man, I appreciate it

19. eazye

eazye Well-Known Member

Yay for finding awesome minty shit that fits perfectly off the rack! Sleeves, shoulders, length, everything is perfect! Vintage BB 100% camel hair windowpane SC. 3 roll 2, un-darted and with a soft shoulder construction! Is there a name for this kind of check?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I kind of want to wear it now, but I know is needs to be cleaned first. :embar:

1 person likes this.
  20. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

I finally noticed the strangeness of finding this Irish aran sweater on Saint Patrick's Day...

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.