1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ace_Face

Ace_Face Well-Known Member

+1. Particularly comedy podcasts like Uhh Yeah Dude and the Ricky Gervais Show.

2. capnwes

capnwes Well-Known Member

I haven't. I listen to whatever I find at the thrifts. I will keep an eye out.

3. jdrizzy

jdrizzy Well-Known Member

I like where this thread is going. I'm guessing if it's a shitty reader, the whole story is ruined.

4. highvoltorb

highvoltorb Well-Known Member

I got into audio books last summer while mowing at a golf course. I mostly just listened to stuff I had already read. I would suggest Audible's version of Invisible Man. The voice actor is absolutely incredible.

5. Koala-T

Koala-T Well-Known Member

Pretty much, though a good story is hard to kill. However, a fantastic reader can elevate the best of stories. Grover Gardner, Craig Wasson, and Frank Muller are some of the best in my opinion. Benjamin Percy is a writer who read his own most recent novel, /Red Moon/, and knocked it out of the park. He's got this booming deep voice, but turned out to be a decent voice actor as well.

6. hbkshin

hbkshin Well-Known Member

I'm actually almost done with the Harry Potter series on audiobook. I use my phone too. It's helped a lot in alleviating boredom of driving around so much. Looking to do some other child-fiction series from my childhood soon.

7. ChetB

ChetB Well-Known Member

Yeah. Tried some free, crowd-sourced audiobooks from Librivox and the readers were terrible.

I really like Audible books with Whispersync, where you can listen to a book and then pick up where you left off while reading on your Kindle later.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
  8. PdxTony43

PdxTony43 Member

was out and about looking for spring wear items (only really been thrifting since last spring so this is the first time spring has been on my radar.
    a few items

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Some Levi's that wont fit but oh well,... 28x32 if anyone is interested
    a shirt
    [​IMG]

A few belts
    [​IMG]

NWT Peter Millar Nylon stretch (took me a minute to realize that the leather on the buckle is to protect it not decorative)
    And a CYDWOQ belt that my daughter copped from me immediately.

9. capnwes

capnwes Well-Known Member

Just finished White Fang and The Call of the Wild, which I got for my birthday. I read those back in grade school.

3 people like this.
  10. Snoogz

Snoogz Well-Known Member

I've wanted to get into fictional audiobooks for the long rides!
    I am open to suggestions for starters.

11. IRKSM

IRKSM Well-Known Member

stuff you should know is the best podcast ever bar none (sorry jessie [​IMG])

12. SCoNE

SCoNE Well-Known Member

Do you guys know "This American Life"? Often on NPR on Sundays but I think you can get podcasts too. It's so good and I think the genre would resonate with this crowd of aesthetics, pseudo romantics, misers, and those with general appreciation of a good, well-told story.

13. dhazard

dhazard Well-Known Member

I am currently on spring break, and have thirfted every single day so far haha.. shout out to KenP as always for taking me around boston. Everything is available!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Massimo Dutti Size 38 R

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Completely basted sartoria St andrews, 40 R US

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Well-Known Member

Dammit guys, take me with you! I'm guessing you guys were outside of Boston proper, no?

15. dhazard

dhazard Well-Known Member

Yeah we were not directly in the city, just in the general Boston vicinity.

16. concealed

concealed Well-Known Member

Podcast crew checking in, Adam Carolla is pretty funny, although I don't agree with him politcally. Lets not get into that though.

1 person likes this.
  17. COtoKS

COtoKS Well-Known Member

+1. This week's episode about the guy that was loosely linked to the Boston Marathon bombings who was killed by the FBI is amazing.

WTF with Marc Maron is good to great depending on the guest.

The Roundtable of Gentleman for some very crass and often hilarious discussion about strange news stories.

There's a five part series called Analyze Phish on the Earwolf network where Scott Wittels (a writer for Parks and Rec) tries to convince Scott Auckerman that he should like Phish and it's amazing.

1 person likes this.
  18. Towers

Towers Well-Known Member

All of the this american life cast-offs and associated shows are pretty good too; the moth, wiretap, planet money (if youre interested in economics), strangers, etc. How did this get made is also pretty good if you love terrible movies, and the vynil cafe (very canadian, kind of cheesy, but the host is a good storyteller).

i also tend to listen to alot of old radio serials in podcast form, like an audio book but shorter.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2014
  19. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Well-Known Member

Ah alright.

Well this is a long shot, but if anyone lives with T distance and wants to carpool for a afternoon of thriftage I'd be down. You'll have my gratitude and a sixer of the good stuff. I'm tired of hitting the same 2 spots within train distance from me.

20. arnathor

arnathor Well-Known Member

Vinyl Cafe was on yesterday! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.