1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrcmcklwht

mrcmcklwht Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

C&J cardiff, my size and in good condition

Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
    2 people like this.
  2. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Well-Known Member

l

o

l

3. richnet12

richnet12 Well-Known Member

The only insight I have is having purchased my son a Haro bike a decade or so ago.

4. richnet12

richnet12 Well-Known Member

5. capnwes

capnwes Well-Known Member

Wasn't me, I was a draftsman by trade, I always write in ALL CAPS.

6. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Well-Known Member

Deadstock/NOS vintage suit, 1939 union tag. Not available.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

10 people like this.
  7. green_machine

green_machine Well-Known Member

8. tben

tben Well-Known Member

I took a peak in the box. Pretty sure I got three black t-shirts. Thanks Left Field. [​IMG]

WTF. [​IMG]

9. Ace_Face

Ace_Face Well-Known Member

That suit is something else. Looks like something @Tibor has dreams about.

10. Towers

Towers Well-Known Member

I figured you didn't get up to Richmond Hill much anyways.

11. deets

deets Active Member

Congrats! I did the same thing about six years ago (0.86 carat, VS1, D, Ideal cut) and it was hell on my nerves waiting for that rock to be shipped from FL (ethrifted it).

Thrift fit - too much burgundy?

[​IMG]
    Collar roll much?

[​IMG]

Canali orphan
    Billy Reid shirt
    Vintage wool knit
    J Crew silk (discount)
    Suitsupply trou
    AE

1 person likes this.
  12. capnwes

That's just outside my thrifting territory.

13. LeSacre

LeSacre Well-Known Member

14. eazye

eazye Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  15. capnwes

LOL, I was just going to post the same picture. I saw that re-run about a week ago.

16. woodchuck312

woodchuck312 Well-Known Member

had a nice find yesterday.

Ralph Lauren Black Label down vest XL but fits slim enough to fit me.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  17. size 38R

size 38R Well-Known Member

Nice!! But changing either the Tie or the P.S would really lift it.

1 person likes this.
  18. TJhambone09

TJhambone09 Well-Known Member

Congrats! I got mine online last summer. 1.01, vs2, g, ideal. blue nile.

since you have those stats in front of you, I assume you already have THE one picked out. however, if I can offer some unsolicited advice, if not for you then for anyone else thinking about taking the plunge.

the main areas of the 4 C's you can skimp on are color and clarity. I saw 4 stones lined up next to each other, same size, cut and clarity, in colors d-g-h-j. you could only see that the j was slightly yellow and only in certain lights. the others looked exactly the same.

with clarity, it all depends on the size of and where the inclusions are. something can be an S1 because it has one huge black spot right in the middle of the table, or because it has 50 tiny spots throughout, mostly invisible to the naked eye. if that huge black spot is on the edge and can be covered by a prong, it is still an s1 due to the size of the issue, but itll never be seen. also, remember, vs2 means nothing visible to the naked eye but easily visible under magnification. how often is it going to be under magnification?

you could get a g or h and a vs2 or s1 and get a bigger stone for the same price. size isnt everything, but if you cant see the difference in the other areas, why pay for it? this is different than talking about the inner construction of a suit because that is taking into account longevity, fit, etc. downgrading the diamond stats is purely cosmetic and wont be seen unless you have a microscope.

thats how I got mine, I saw the grading service mapping of the inclusions with a ton of little dots and decided to take a chance because there was a return policy. took it to my local jeweler for appraisal and he said he could barely make out a few of them under 10x, that he woukd have graded it vs1, and that I got a steal. the grading is subjective anyway.

so I took the cash I saved on color and clarity and poured it into cut and carat. so my fiance, as declared by our group of friends (mostly engaged or married), has the biggest and brightest ring. that makes her happy haha.

also, there is a website I used extensively where you put in the angles and measurements of the actual stone and it calculates how well it will reflect light (which makes it sparkle, otherwise known as fire, brilliance, and scintillation). you get this by light coming into the table, bouncing off the two bottom angles, and reflecting back out the table. if the angles arent perfect, the light wont reflect back at you, making it look dull. im trying to find the website I used, ill edit if I find it.

regardless, congrats!

Edit: Holloway Cut Advisor http://www.pricescope.com/tools/hca

3 people like this.
  19. deets

deets Active Member

I mostly agree. Cut is most important. That largely determines the sparkle/fire which is quite honestly the thing most people notice about diamonds. The other thing is the location and size of inclusion. You could easily find a VS2 that has inclusions away from facet edges and as a result the diamond is more brilliant than a near perfect. Color...to each his own. I chose D because I wanted my wife's diamond to be as clear as possible. I've seen G colored that look nearly as clear. Just my opinion and YMMV. Each stone is unique, so find the one you like the best, and that you think she'll like the best. That's all the really matters, not the grades.

Thanks for the feedback, and I agree. I am still trying to get the hang of pocket squares/silks. For instance, I have a navy gingham cotton PS that I can never seem to be able to wear. I would love to be more adept at this, but I can't figure it out yet.

20. capnwes

Barrel, save one of the 5 C's (Cash) by removing a D (Diamond) and adding a CZ. [​IMG]

2 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.