• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree. I was also hoping this thread would become a sf members thread and not a publicly viewable one.

I would still like to see that. Although the last few attempts have failed, I don't think we should give up the idea. Also, could we get frenchy in there? That guy pulled in the most amazing furniture finds...

Uhh ohh, prepared to have a certain someone to **** on this parade!
uhoh.gif

DanM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Uhh ohh, prepared to have a certain someone to **** on this parade!
:uhoh:

Uhh, if I invoked a name that must not be spoken, my bad. I still don't know what happened there in the first place, just pointing out that I would happily fill my home with mid century modern and teak furniture that he seems to trip over every time he sets foot outdoors.

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Uhh, if I invoked a name that must not be spoken, my bad. I still don't know what happened there in the first place, just pointing out that I would happily fill my home with mid century modern and teak furniture that he seems to trip over every time he sets foot outdoors.

Lol, naw, you are good. I remember a few months back or was it almost a year ago, I forget...Anyhow, the same idea was thrown around and even time before that, folks have always brought up the idea of keeping this thread on the hush hush by maybe having a password system and folks can only join by invites. Anyhow, a few members didn't like the idea at all and were very vocal about it. That's all. You are good.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There is only one cure for this conversation.....Pictures.

Hit a few spots back home this weekend, but my wife was in a mood, and sat in the car, texting me that it was time to go. lol. Still managed to pick up a few things. More pics later, I also grabbed a Brioni shirt and a couple Gitman Bros. Of course there were a few tweeds in the mix, but you will have to wait til fall to see those.

The ever-elusive Alden 975 Shell Longwing 8 C (Thanks EazyE for opening this proverbial can of worms! It's like I can't walk into a store without finding a pair of shells these days.)

Brooks Brothers Irish Linen Pants 34

Bow Ties and Cummerbunds

Inco Chino 36

Anyone seen these before, research seems to indicate quality.
Russell Moccasin Co. 12 in "Yuma" Styling

Sperry Topsiders, minty fresh 13

NOS Vintage Supreme Work Boots 12 E

Last edited:

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think my point kind of got folded into Chet's, so I should clarify: I don't care about the open or closed nature of this thread, and I don't care who can or can't see it gain flipping knowledge from it.

What I was saying is that I don't ever care what someone bought and sold something for, regardless of the item or the profit margin. It has absolutely nothing to do with the nature and spirit of this thread, and I don't believe it's ever relevant. Yet there has been a precipitous rise in the number of these kinds of posts.

I have, however, learned a lot about the endgame for very large threads, having spent a lot of time on a lot of different forums, so I will say this much: 1) A large thread will always eventually depart from its purpose over a long enough time scale. It's like entropy, and is unavoidable.

2) the louder you scream and kick your feet about it, the less likely it's going to do anything. There's often a brief "correction" after these kinds of debates where the thread is refocused, but the entropy ultimately wins.

So, I've largely remained silent about it about it. I'm not sure why I even commented in the first place, other than maybe seeing Chet's post and having not seen it brought up in awhile. So yeah, that's the large and the short of my take.

When life gives you lemons, you have two choices....one of which is to make lemonade (and sell it to make money). If there is lemonade stand competition, just make sure you're better at it then the next guy
cheers.gif

PS - I agree the flipping talk should be kept to a minimum but I think something BIG happened so it will be talked about for a week and then die down, just like most other tangents on the thread.

Last edited:

MZhammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Discount" Brag of sorts.... this is my fav. so far! Wish it was my size, sooo bad ass. I've never seen a "summer" tweed before but this is as close as it gets. Call it Spring/Fall
drool.gif

Brian I am so jealous of all the NWT Belvest stuff you have floating around your eBay... I would be in the poor house if I had a way to procure that kind of quality! You have the discipline of a monk my friend

Last edited:

pnutpug

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No one gave Spoo that fine ride, he earned it. The hard way. So there's not much to worry about, methinks, regarding his achievement inspiring others to buy good stuff before we find it. Most folks aren't willing to work that hard. And it won't inspire thrifts to jack prices. The free market, which existed before Spoo and will exist long after he's gone, will take care of pricing.

Carry on.

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No one gave Spoo that fine ride, he earned it. The hard way. So there's not much to worry about, methinks, regarding his achievement inspiring others to buy good stuff before we find it. Most folks aren't willing to work that hard. And it won't inspire thrifts to jack prices. The free market, which existed before Spoo and will exist long after he's gone, will take care of pricing.

Carry on.
Gasp! But his legend will live on...Hopefully through someone on this thread...

DanM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Gasp! But his legend will live on...Hopefully through someone on this thread...

I'm sure Spoo will be here forever - unless he has too much fun driving cross country in his Ferrari for the book tour "Spoo - A Man's Journey From Salvation Army to Sweet Italian Rides"

Edit: better title. "Spoo: Looking For a Come-up"

Last edited:

IRKSM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

In the old NWA tunes they always mention '64 Impala's. Pretty sure they had to be convertible's

I know that is why I was laughing I thought your comment was funny? Despite my extremely preppy appearance I listen to things I probably have no business listening to on both ends of the spectrum...

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Huh, didn't mean to ruffle any feathers.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think my point kind of got folded into Chet's, so I should clarify: I don't care about the open or closed nature of this thread, and I don't care who can or can't see it gain flipping knowledge from it.

What I was saying is that I don't ever care what someone bought and sold something for, regardless of the item or the profit margin.  It has absolutely nothing to do with the nature and spirit of this thread, and I don't believe it's ever relevant.  Yet there has been a precipitous rise in the number of these kinds of posts.  

I can't speak for others, but I would think that the two [selling and thrifting] are almost necessarily intertwined for many posters, so to couch it as irrelevant is a mistake IMO. I love finding nice things that fit me, but if that were my sole mission, it wouldn't be feasible, economically or time management wise. I suppose it depends on the person's measurements, but I have a hard enough time finding things that fit me OTR, let alone something in a goodwill that's in great shape and fits well. Perhaps on the most lucrative grounds like NY or LA, it might be more feasible to thrift for personal use only, although I'd still run into the same problems fit wise. I enjoy the entrepreneurial stories. I would, however, also like to see the thread accessible to members only.

MarkThomas

Reaction score
Thrift fit!

Picked these up last August and haven't worn them or done much at all with them. They were fairly beat so I cleaned them up and gave them the Renovateur treatment and just brushed the hell out of them. Pretty happy with the results!

Nunn Bush - Ankle Fashioned Custom Grade shell cordovan ca. 1955(ish)

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I know that is why I was laughing I thought your comment was funny? Despite my extremely preppy appearance I listen to things I probably have no business listening to on both ends of the spectrum...

Sorry Ian...didn't know you we're down with "wrapped the 6 4 round a telephone poll . Looked at my car and said oh brotha, throw it in the gutter and go buy another."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads