1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. size 38R

size 38R Well-Known Member

Lol! i realised he was talking specifically about quality, and nation of manufacture. and either Beams, or burberry Black label fit the bill. have both..
    today ALL JDM streetwear. (45RPM,Kaminari,Avirex,Go West.....)

Dude, it's a solid facepalm that nobody has sent you a suit. PM me your details, and we can do a trade on the afore mentioned Beams Loro Piana Black suit. -38R
    wife is really mad i'm gonna send it. but. that's what we thrift bro's do. i can get it out next week. and it would take 5 days to get to you. so hopefully in time.

sending the Ultramagnus to @FaceOfBoh today, if i can find his adddress in my PM's.

Sadly, this fit is not. sorry . i don't try to pretend something is what it isn't. there is a difference between faking it and making it. straight black suit pants, skinny black jeans, or just jeans with some nice boots, and a black bow tie would be approved. -Silk lapels+corduroy?? only if they contrast, not try to blend.
    keep at it though, you are getting better.[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  2. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Well-Known Member

It's the mullet of outfits.

Business on top, party on the bottom.

3. Koala-T

Koala-T Well-Known Member

Found a few things today including a Ballantyne Cashmere for myself, but the most interesting were these two:

Stefano Ricci Silk Cords:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a Brioni Pique Polo. First of these I've found:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  4. YRR92

YRR92 Well-Known Member

I try to avoid the mullet of anything. Though I'd kind of like an El Camino.

I think cords with a tux jacket are kind of a cool idea, but I can't say I'd have forgone the white shirt with french cuffs, and I think the cords would have to be a different color, kind of like tartan trews.

I have a thing to go to Friday which is 50% wild debauchery and 50% professionalism, and I intend to wear a ridiculous '70s tux jacket, off-white turtleneck, skinny black jeans (not all that skinny, I guess), an FU pocket square, and nearly-dead black captoes. I'll balance it out by drinking less than I did last time. Sort of American Hustle meets Ralph Lauren circa 1972.

2 people like this.
  5. ridethecliche

Actually, that's an interesting idea. I have tan cords I could have worn with it (threw them in the wash the other day so forgot about them!). Or maybe red or blue pants. Hmmmmm...

6. vexco

vexco Well-Known Member

i feel stupid. about 20 minutes ago i was looking through the stuff i picked up the other day and realized that i passed on a WW Chan SC because the name didn't click at the time. dammit!

7. jebarne

jebarne Well-Known Member

its been a few years.....but yeah.

3 people like this.
  8. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Well-Known Member

Been meaning to head down the richest county in CA.

Last time I saw him in LA he was doing a relaunch with a local designer with some high end goth ninja line. Looks dope but I sure in shit can't pull it off. Dude, he showed me some crazy ass grail!

Real. My size. Nahmean? [​IMG]

Dude, I was gonna cop a Belvest from DM7 straight up from his closet but he didn't accept credit...[​IMG]

So...Ummm...What? Deetzzzzzzzz!!!

Hmmm, cords and tux...

More like library/lecture on the bottom? =)

1 person likes this.
  9. Typhoid Jones

Typhoid Jones Well-Known Member

^^^ [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

^^^ ORIGINAL Sierra Designs 60 / 40 Short Parka in Green & Vintage Tan Size M. Made in USA. (I picked this up a couple of weeks ago at a local GW.)

1 person likes this.
  10. YRR92

YRR92 Well-Known Member

Not tan. That's go to heck territory. If you're going to do something like that, it has to be full on -- as recklessly offensive as wearing proper tux trousers with the front open like Mark Wahlberg at the end of Boogie Nights.

http://www.voxsartoria.com/image/57977657744

Be relentlessly classic and then do one outrageous thing. Or do a ton of outrageous things. But don't stack up a bunch of "kinda" stuff. Also, black doesn't work with a lot of casual CM stuff (which tends to be in shades of brown), but it's great against denim.

1 person likes this.
  11. universe34

universe34 New Member

My first thrift haul, if you can call it that! All available, though I'm not really all that sure of the process of trading/selling you guys go through on here. Not much but I'm excited to keep thrifting!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. ridethecliche

The weird thing is that I think this jacket is a really dark navy. Maybe I'm blind, but I put it against some black pants and it definitely looked blue... Maybe it's best treated as black though. I'll play around with it.

Doing a ton of outrageous things is up my alley. I've worn orange pants to work before.

13. GM-H

GM-H Well-Known Member

Then yes, bad passes If they were somewhat cheap...

14. YRR92

YRR92 Well-Known Member

It could very well be midnight blue, but that's functionally black. Most "black" cloth is a really dark green (IMHO, this is part of why cheap black clothes often look so cheap). Supposedly, the Duke of Windsor didn't like that dinner suits showed up noticeably green in early color photographs, but found that midnight blue looked right.

1 person likes this.
  15. SomethingsFishy

SomethingsFishy Well-Known Member

Orvis. Doesn't fit my comical frame, of course. Size M.

. [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  16. ChetB

ChetB Well-Known Member

I thrifted the same shirt a couple years ago, Fishy. [​IMG]

If I remember right, it was an M or L but fit like an XXL.

2 people like this.
  17. Digmenow

Digmenow Well-Known Member

I kid, I kid.

GHo sent back the shirt along with TWO (count 'em!), TWO pairs of awesomesocks...Paul Stuart, 70/30 wool nylon and NWT! He went above and beyond, Totes McGotes!

:cheers:

Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  18. thefastlife

thefastlife Well-Known Member

LOL!!!!!

19. thefastlife

thefastlife Well-Known Member

Hate to bump my post...but bumping nonetheless

20. green_machine

green_machine Well-Known Member

It's formal, black, with same color buttons. 99% orphan. Even if it is a sport coat it still looks like an orphan.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.