• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, it really is a beautiful jacket.

Originally Posted by idfnl
You might have a fake on your hands there... some more pics (fabric tag especially) and I can tell you for sure.

Hate to burst your bubble...

I was thinking the same thing. It would be an older fake though, because of the tag style. The "Italy" under the Zegna logo on the back of the tie is a dead giveaway. I've never seen "Italy" displayed on a Zegna piece other than on the fabric content tag which says where it was made.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
Thanks guys, it really is a beautiful jacket.

I was thinking the same thing. It would be an older fake though, because of the tag style. The "Italy" under the Zegna logo on the back of the tie is a dead giveaway. I've never seen "Italy" displayed on a Zegna piece other than on the fabric content tag which says where it was made.

Ya, I'd never seen that as well, but what gave it away for me was the brand tag, that ribbon-like fabric the brand name is stitched on is not authentic, and the loop it forms is too large.

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fettuccine
what are some good thrift stores in nyc/nj location?

They are all good if you hit them once a week for 6 months or so.

e92m3

Reaction score
Originally Posted by vinasity
Found these nice Bally captoes in my size, the only thing is that they have a small ink or wine stain on the side that I cant seem to take off
frown.gif

IMG_9302.jpg

Beautiful shoes! Nice find.

After a bit of a dry spell, I decided to just take a peak at the local thrift store this past weekend. I find whenever my expectations are low is when I usually get lucky.

I found two pairs of Aldens 6.99 each hardly used, one pair looked like it had just recently been resoled. Since they often look so nasty I don't bother looking at any type of athletic shoe however I came across a pair of Nike Turbo Shox spanking new and the right size for 12.99.

rayxlui

Reaction score
Picked up 2 Thomas Pink, Armani Collenzioni and Brooks Brother ties and a Boss, Banana Republic Monogram and Etro shirt today. I also saw a Pink shirt as well, but it was oddly proportioned.

I keep seeing Zegna suits and I saw a Ferragomo blazer as well, it was cheap but I didn't know if it was worth getting.

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice find on the aldens, esp. the hand stitched NST's

master tailor

Reaction score
I Have Shopped In Thrifts My Entire Life ! It Is Alarming To Me How Unusal It Is To Find Quality Things Anymore...and They Are All Crowded Now.

Resales For Rehabilitation In Palm Beach Florida Was A Mecca Of Great Finds. Brioni, Kiton, Oxxford, John Lobb, Edward Green, Hermes, Asprey, Lalique Crystal And Diverse Art!

There Is Nothing Better Than A "find". Good For You !

David

jobro

Reaction score
Originally Posted by master tailor
I Have Shopped In Thrifts My Entire Life ! It Is Alarming To Me How Unusal It Is To Find Quality Things Anymore...and They Are All Crowded Now.

Resales For Rehabilitation In Palm Beach Florida Was A Mecca Of Great Finds. Brioni, Kiton, Oxxford, John Lobb, Edward Green, Hermes, Asprey, Lalique Crystal And Diverse Art!

There Is Nothing Better Than A "find". Good For You !

David

Thank You for Going To All The Effort To Write The Post.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had to pass on these two, unfortunately... weren't in perfect shape.

barbera.jpg

IMG00033.jpg

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rayxlui
I keep seeing Zegna suits and I saw a Ferragomo blazer as well, it was cheap but I didn't know if it was worth getting.
If the Zegna suits weren't ancient styling-wise, I'd pick them up. There is also a thread on here somewhere that will teach you how to tell the age of a Zegna piece by the label style. Jinda, that shirt would have been a perfect candidate for Vman's stain removal technique! Unless of course, if had fraying or other damage.

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw a vintage silk jacket, E & J Peake for Hubert White. I left it but it will probably be waiting for me next time I hit that little shop. Anyone familiar with E & J Peake?

Orgetorix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw but passed on a tux by Roland Meledandri. He had a NYC bespoke shop that was one of the places Ralph Lauren got his start. In fact, some have said Lauren did nothing but take Meledandri's concepts and make them popular.

The tux was beautifully made, but with notch lapels and a center vent, I figured it wouldn't get much love in B&S.

CasmirRadon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by idfnl
Ya, I'd never seen that as well, but what gave it away for me was the brand tag, that ribbon-like fabric the brand name is stitched on is not authentic, and the loop it forms is too large.

Sounds like it is probably not a real Zegna, but luckily it was bought for me to wear (as I did today), and not to sell. Perhaps some small brand-conscious part of me is disappointed, but it is still my nicest looking tie.

Found a couple pairs of shoes today. Found some cordovan Florsheim's in my size. Not too badly used by my eye (or at least by Goodwill standards), although they could clearly use some care. $8.

20100323igp2647.jpg

20100323igp2652.jpg

20100323igp2654.jpg

Also some $4 brown captoes (I actually didn't have any brown shoes), from Carlo Morandi (not that I could find anything out about this company). Not nearly so exciting as the Florsheim's, but for $4 they will get plenty of wear.

20100323igp2661.jpg

20100323igp2662.jpg

Any of course, these are the before pictures. Still need to give these shoes some proper attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads