1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UrbanComposition

UrbanComposition Well-Known Member

same here, north county san diego here, where are you from?

so many guys from socal wtf

I grew up in North Park, then moved to Valley Center. Small world.

2. alanjav

alanjav Well-Known Member

3. Hoofit

Hoofit Well-Known Member

Today I found 2 older Oxxford suits, one my size and one significantly smaller. The one my size had moth holes, and the pants had been altered very oddly, so it stayed. The other is quite old, I didn't purchase, but would go back if anyone is interested. $30 at the thrift so if you are interested let me know, I will get it for you at cost, and shipping. if serious i will get you measurements. Looks like a size 39 according to the tags.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. BBC

BBC Well-Known Member

Just put the vox jacket (note: this was not actually his, LOL) on ebay this past weekend, thought somebody might want to take a crack at it / check out the better photos:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...STRK:MESELX:IT

Already had somebody offer me $300 for it, was tempted but I'm really curious to see what it will sell for at auction. Am I an idiot? [​IMG]

That thing is just gorgeous. I definitely wouldn't have taken $300 for it.

5. cpmac7

cpmac7 Well-Known Member

That thing is just gorgeous. I definitely wouldn't have taken $300 for it.

I love the pics as well but I have a feeling that its going to end up just short of $300. I recently just upgraded my pics as well and have not really seen a huge difference yet in the prices..... yet

GL with your sale!

6. Nataku

Nataku Well-Known Member

^^ That's been my experience as well. I've received what seemed like a reasonable offer, but always felt I could get more out of it, so I let the auction run. When the auction ends, the guy gets it for $40-$60 less than what he had initially offered. [​IMG] Who knows though. That's the thing with eBay, You can have two identical items ending at the same time. One could end at $100 more than the other for no apparent reason, other than the number of bidders. On a side-note, how did you guys get the better pictures for your eBay auctions? Does it cost anything extra?

7. cpmac7

cpmac7 Well-Known Member

^^ That's been my experience as well. I've received what seemed like a reasonable offer, but always felt I could get more out of it, so I let the auction run. When the auction ends, the guy gets it for $40-$60 less than what he had initially offered. [​IMG]

Who knows though. That's the thing with eBay, You can have two identical items ending at the same time. One could end at $100 more than the other for no apparent reason, other than the number of bidders.

On a side-note, how did you guys get the better pictures for your eBay auctions? Does it cost anything extra?

Bought a cheap mannequin off craigslist and went to work ! [​IMG]

8. cptjeff

cptjeff Well-Known Member

A great vintage jacket for Fall.

more pics on my blog:

http://afinancialstatement.blogspot....-military.html

That's not vintage. That's fake distressing.

Also, I had a good haul today. Got a nice harris tweed jacket with quite a few colors in the weave: burnt orange, brown, black, camel, navy, gray, black, and even flecks of yellow and green. Looks amazing, I'll have to actually take a photo of this one. No buttons, so I pulled some for the front off a jacket that's been an off and on restoration project that's currently in the off phase and left the sleeves bare. I do love that about harris tweeds; the yarns are blended for each tweed in neat colors and they get woven in all sort of cool, subtle ways. Unfortunately I've only found two in my size thus far, counting this one.

I also found a pretty dang nice DB camel overcoat. Only label is from a men's store, no idea on date.

9. mainy

mainy Well-Known Member

nataku + cp, thanks for the advice guys. I went ahead and made a substantially higher counteroffer, figuring I have nothing to lose. Shrug, I would almost rather just let it sell at auction, even if it meant getting less, just to satisfy my curiosity. Ebay is such a damn crapshoot sometimes [​IMG]

10. cpmac7

cpmac7 Well-Known Member

nataku + cp, thanks for the advice guys. I went ahead and made a substantially higher counteroffer, figuring I have nothing to lose. Shrug, I would almost rather just let it sell at auction, even if it meant getting less, just to satisfy my curiosity. Ebay is such a damn crapshoot sometimes [​IMG]

Sometimes? lol you can change that to most of the time

11. ruben

ruben Well-Known Member

I listed something years ago, though I'd get $10 for it tops, got a couple offers for $50, but didn't think it right to end early, ended up getting $200.

so it can go both ways

12. frenchy

frenchy Well-Known Member

Bought a cheap mannequin off craigslist and went to work ! [​IMG]

+1 never underestimate the power of a good mannequin,kijiji is also a good place to look.
    one of my grails it to find like a wicked wooden Ralph Lauren store or other high end mannequin

13. otc

otc Well-Known Member

Who knows though. That's the thing with eBay, You can have two identical items ending at the same time. One could end at $100 more than the other for no apparent reason, other than the number of bidders.

On a side-note, how did you guys get the better pictures for your eBay auctions? Does it cost anything extra?

As for better pictures...I host them myself and post them with html.

Question: does anyone know what is up with old hard drive mp3 players on ebay?

I had an old 20gb creative nomad jukebox 3 and I was always too lazy to do anything with it but decided to list it with some other stuff. When I searched, the pricing was crazy....

I could have bought a used 20gb ipod photo for less than what some of these went for...so I went ahead and took nice pictures and put up a listing.

When it started getting bid up, I checked the buying history of the bidders...many of them had paid similarily insane amounts of money for other outdated non-ipod mp3 players (creative jukebox, archos, etc).

I couldn't figure it out...is there some underground trade in old HDD players? Are they selling them at a premium in the 3rd world? Is there some crazy hack that I never thought of that requires an old mp3 player?

The only explanation I can think of is that the one I was selling had really good recording features and was used by concert bootleggers and stuff...but now there are better devices on the market (and the stuff in these guys purchase history was not good for recording).

14. que

que Active Member

Happy with my sucess with those 99 cent ties at a SA earlier this week I went to a diff one and found these also at .99.

Hopefully, the drought is over or that im on a roll as i have found a pair of shoes each day this week (3) for about $5 each and hope to post pics later
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. suited

suited Well-Known Member

I decided that I'm tired of searching through all of my dress socks looking for a match in the morning, so I put them all in a box and went searching for a good deal on some over-the-calf socks, all the exact same pattern so I can just grab two and the morning and always have a match.

Found some Gold Toe over-the-calf at TJ Maxx for $1 a pair. Picked up 15 pairs. They're nothing fancy, but will do the trick for work very nicely, and were a steal as far as over-the-calf prices usually go.

16. BBC

BBC Well-Known Member

I love the pics as well but I have a feeling that its going to end up just short of $300. I recently just upgraded my pics as well and have not really seen a huge difference yet in the prices..... yet

GL with your sale!

If the RLPL lambskin jacket did go for $300 or less even I'd be interested (but then I'd look like Vox [​IMG] )

17. 83glt

83glt Well-Known Member

What a day:

- Recent Cashmere Oxford sportcoat in my size - dark blue with grey windowpane
    - NWT Isaia Argento Casual jacket in my size - this thing is so sick, perfect for fall and warmer winter days
    - Douglas Hayward bespoke plaid sportcoat - this coat is almost like a tweed - too big for me, going to B&S
    - Edward Green black pebble grain penny loafers - not my size and will go to B&S (Size 8.5D UK)
    - 2 Battistoni ties
    - 2 Borrelli ties
    - 2 NWOT ISAIA sweater vests - one too small, going to B&S

Items I passed on:
    - 2 orphaned Oxxford suit jackets
    - 1 D'avenza/Davide Cenci orphaned suit jacket (SICK quality)
    - 1 Tommy Nutter bespoke tuxedo jacket (it was a 6x1 dbl breasted unvented jacket)
    - a couple other Savile Row (can't remember the tailors) jackets that were too big

18. tonylumpkin

tonylumpkin Well-Known Member

^^^Damn!! Your passes would have been a good day.

19. Joe Cool

Joe Cool Well-Known Member

I'm reading the whole thing back again from the beginning....just for fun

20. cpmac7

cpmac7 Well-Known Member

What a day:

- Recent Cashmere Oxford sportcoat in my size - dark blue with grey windowpane
    - NWT Isaia Argento Casual jacket in my size - this thing is so sick, perfect for fall and warmer winter days
    - Douglas Hayward bespoke plaid sportcoat - this coat is almost like a tweed - too big for me, going to B&S
    - Edward Green black pebble grain penny loafers - not my size and will go to B&S (Size 8.5D UK)
    - 2 Battistoni ties
    - 2 Borrelli ties
    - 2 NWOT ISAIA sweater vests - one too small, going to B&S

Items I passed on:
    - 2 orphaned Oxxford suit jackets
    - 1 D'avenza/Davide Cenci orphaned suit jacket (SICK quality)
    - 1 Tommy Nutter bespoke tuxedo jacket (it was a 6x1 dbl breasted unvented jacket)
    - a couple other Savile Row (can't remember the tailors) jackets that were too big

I liked to see pictures of the Battistoni and Borrelli Ties. GOOD HAUL!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.