1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Koala-T

Koala-T Well-Known Member

2. Koala-T

Koala-T Well-Known Member

And the New in Package section for rare lightbulbs and AV cords.

2 people like this.
  3. ATLjon

ATLjon Well-Known Member

When my brother last came out to visit, he brought a box of 2014 topps. It was great fun for about 30 minutes.

I would have had a hard time not picking up all the baseball boxes.

4. otc

otc Well-Known Member

I feel like these usually don't have much value (and my stores don't have them dirt cheap either). I'll pick them up if I like them myself, but unless a quick google turns up something on the artist...

I mean, I've bought a signed and numbered Calder print off ebay for under $100, and that's for a household name artist.

5. ChetB

ChetB Well-Known Member

Card collecting had some great rituals—buying a pack, seeing what you got, looking up values, trading.

I was in the checkout line with three boxes but decided last minute to save the 40 bucks. Probably should have grabbed one at least for old times' sake. They were all sets I collected when I was a kid, too.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
  6. mistermidwester

mistermidwester Well-Known Member

This thread = [​IMG]

HOLY. CRAP.

I am hoping some of this lucks lands on me tomorrow when I head out tomorrow.

7. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

Sports Cards are one place where thrifts are especially bad at pricing. They seem to price everything as if it's brand new and top of the heap. I usually will go through binders of cards if there's one there, but typically, these things contain like $2.00 worth of cards and are priced at $20. $40 for three boxes from the early 90s? I'd say that was a solid pass. You can buy boxes far cheaper than that on Ebay if you just want the joy of ripping packs open.

I still remember the first pack I ever got... It was at an A's game against the Twins back in 1987. I bought a 'rack pack' from a vendor there for the princely sum of $1.50. I remember pulling a Jose Canseco card and thinking it was the greatest thing ever. And yes, I collected for years; in fact last year I donated all but the best cards in my collection. It's down to one small Uhaul box.

1 person likes this.
  8. ChetB

ChetB Well-Known Member

For me the entry point was the 1986 Topps traded set, purchased for $13 at a card store. Canseco, Barry Bonds, Will Clark, Bo Jackson. Good times.

9. evolutionofRW

evolutionofRW Well-Known Member

And the scarf section for wool/cashmere scarves, pocket squares and Hermes wiminz scarves...

10. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Best. Thrift. Ever...Well, for like the last month or so...

EPIC Vintage Brooks Brothers wool pants, 31 Can anyone date them?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Three epic shirts!
    [​IMG]
    POP!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Alden :)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    REDIC Bespoke blazer from Bahrain, anyone ever heard of them? AMAZING quality. Savile Row bespoke level. ~44 - 46
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]O

Old-school BBM with handmade almost everything. Flat front too! ~44
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Orphan and really outdated....I would have passed...

W.T.F...

11. size 38R

size 38R Well-Known Member

Bad pass, for soooo many reasons. [​IMG]

[​IMG]Also, NIB Super Nintendo's. playstation 1,2, final fantasy edition ps3's, GameBoy's . 90's Action figures, Anime related toys and figures, Gas powered r/c cars.vintage NBA/NHL jerseys. sports equipment, etc..
    ( i recently thrifted Final Fantasy 4,5,6,7,8 for playstation) and ff4, for super Nes) - planning to be a dad soon. [​IMG]

in my defence, i'm built like a Gibbon. and i wasn't wearing a belt. that is where they sit fine, and my shirt was not tucked in. so it might seem to make the pants small. thanks for the compliments though, it is appreciated. -
    try not to listen to the CM threads too much, would hate to see you lose your amazing style and go bland. i like your style as is. keep rocking Eazye![​IMG]

@runyourchain , The coat is not only the heaviest thing in my closet, but my most prized. it is a green/brown D/B, 6 button. dated 1968, and never issued.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
    2 people like this.
  12. hooker4186

hooker4186 Well-Known Member

Grenadine, or just woven? Leaning towards the latter.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also, a few more pics of the RLPL and RLBL I picked up a few days ago - the sizing is weird on these - the purple label is tagged a 40R but measures more like a 42, the black label is tagged a 44R but measures more like a 40R?

RLPL
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

RLBL
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  13. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus

^ Thats a grenadine!

1 person likes this.
  14. hooker4186

hooker4186 Well-Known Member

Oh sweet. That makes 2 in a week for me...

Does anyone know what era that BB label dates to?

15. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus

I think on ties thats 70s early 80s.

16. jcubzzz

jcubzzz Well-Known Member

Well no Tom Ford suits but did pick up this book copyrighted 1918
    [​IMG]

Also picked up this Smashing Pumpkins poster from '96
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  17. ahk11

ahk11 Well-Known Member

18. jungleroller

jungleroller Well-Known Member

19. div25sec9

div25sec9 Well-Known Member

Passing on sports cards at the thrifts is not something to worry about, the value of cards reached their pinnacle in the 90's and most thrifts have been wise to the value of sports cards since then.

A while back I started up collecting again some stuff from my home hockey team and was surprised at how cheap stuff goes for. All that stuff we all thought was so valuable in the 90's goes for about 10% of what it used to. Even grail pieces such Wayne Gretzky's rookie that used to go for over $1000 for one in average condition can be found for about $300 on ebay. The companies flooded the market with cards back at the peak and the customers realized this and the values reflect it. They do very limited runs, jersey and equipment cards, and autograph cards to create demand now. The newest low run stuff is in demand as well as the very early stuff, but the rest is a pass.

I did make some money off of cards though recently. In the off season I bought a lot of 6000 of my home team for less than 100 shipped. I kept all the ones I didn't have and have begun selling off the rest in smaller batches. I made the money back many times over selling locally.

3 people like this.
  20. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

Sorry, but there are very few cards from the early 90s that are worth anything, and certainly none from the sets that were mentioned. Card collecting has taken a huge hit over the past 10 years, once people started realizing that: (A) the companies mass-produced the s--t out of them, and (B) everyone was collecting them and keeping them pristine.

The only cards from back then that are still worth anything are the rookies from HOFers, but they're still worth far less than they were back in the day.

If I see cards in a display or something, I'll try to see if I can recognize any potential by looking to see what sets are represented. Generally though, unless you're good at spotting say, 1986 Topps Football from the side profile, you're better off sticking to menswear... There's way more gold in those racks.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.