1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. size 38R

size 38R Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

on my second drink. you don't need to be drunk to be pissed off.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  2. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

But it does help with tremendous leaps in logic.

1 person likes this.
  3. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Well-Known Member

Score.

Does she have a sister?

2 people like this.
  4. futuremyth

futuremyth Well-Known Member

Found my first Yohji (Y3) and first Gloverall duffel last night.

But they were both completely turfed so I had to leave them. Gloverall was missing most of the toggles (though I suppose you could do the top one up and wear it cholo-style) and the Y3s REEKED. Just stank to high heaven. I grabbed them thinking I could clean them up to sell and put them back on the shelf a few minutes later when I figured out what the horrible smell following me around the store was.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  5. sparrow

sparrow Well-Known Member

Good call on not picking stink

1 person likes this.
  6. Ken P

Ken P Well-Known Member

Nice haul ray! Here's hoping some of that makes it into my secret santa package from you :D

Shouts to ThriftyDood for hooking me up with some butter-soft wool with side adjusters and hidden button Jil Sander pants. Now to get them hemmed and tapered!

I just realized it's been a very long time since I've pulled anything good from a thrift. This needs to change.

7. suited

suited Well-Known Member

The fiance came home with a PRL Italy suit and a Burberry's blazer. She's from NYC, too. If we are up there visiting family we should do a thrift double date.

8. AlexJ1100

AlexJ1100 Well-Known Member

Totally spaced and forgot to give a shutout to @ridethecliche for some awesome Ralph Lauren pants. I'm surprised how awesome the fit without any alteration! (I need to keep my eye out for more haha, I always have trouble finding proper fitting pants)

On another note, does anyone have an understanding on French clothing size conversion? I picked up a Nina Ricci coat that was made in France the other day that was tagged as a 42, which in doing some research would put it at a Large or 12 in US women's. But I threw it on and it nearly fit me, being I typically wear a size 52 jacket. Should I just go for exact measurements on the jacket and size it from there and ignore the 42 tag, or did I miss something in the number conversion?

9. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Well-Known Member

No problemo! Glad they could go to a good home. And knowing your measurements and having people send you accurate measurements is integral to this process. It's awesome to try something on right out of the box and think 'YESSSSS!!!'.

10. eazye

eazye Well-Known Member

Motherfucking cocksucking eBay Nazis!!!! I was just on the phone with them for the last hour and a half and they basically told me I'll never be able to sell on eBay again. Ten fucking years down the drain because my item description was 1 point below standard. No review, no trying to contact me. I still have a 98.1% positive feedback. Fuuuuuuuuuuuukkkkkkkk!!!!!!! :fu: :fu: :fu:

11. sparrow

sparrow Well-Known Member

:(

Sorry man
    Maybe one of the guys has tips here to get this changed

12. dazedstate

dazedstate Well-Known Member

their loss.

13. capnwes

capnwes Well-Known Member

WTF? Switch to the ebay tips thread and let us know what's going on.

2 people like this.
  14. concealed

concealed Well-Known Member

2 people like this.
  15. AlexJ1100

AlexJ1100 Well-Known Member

This

Would be easy to set up with a PO Box or different Paypal account. But I agree, they've got some really strict guys working for them.

Funny side story: My father was selling an old restored National cash register that a friend of his did. It was painted in a Coca Cola scheme, it was going for maybe a couple hundred. According to my father about four days into the auction it's automatically taken off and he received an email from eBay saying he would be facing a $1 million dollar lawsuit if the register and all subsequent production equipment were not destroyed and documented immediately. I thought he was exaggerating with the amount, but he showed me the message they sent and I just had to laugh. Apparently they thought he was mass producing Coca Cola cash registers, as opposed to it being a one off custom job.

16. Snoogz

Snoogz Well-Known Member

So many hidden hangers in there...

Highlights off top of my head should include about 5 or 6 full cashmere sweaters
    Paul Stuart full Cashmere SC
    Ted Baker Endurance Suit w/ - the works - surgeon,ticket, duel vnt
    lots and lots of staple suits headed for the bay.
    Some badass tweed! A J crew tweed that is just tits.
    that large blue yellow check shirt is a Gitman Bros vintage...was a cherry pop for me.
    Hickey Freeman Bespoke Full Silk Suit
    Some Shell Loafers

-Passed on Helmut Lang L/S staple blue shirt
    -Passed on HF surgeon cuff Orphan w/ LP 150s
    -Passed on a LP Tux....was too damn much : /
    -Passed on much more cashmere because of price
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  17. eazye

eazye Well-Known Member

She has an account, but from what I've read online about eBay, if they find out that I'm selling stuff through her, they could do the same thing to her as they did to me. This is so fucking frustrating.

18. size 38R

size 38R Well-Known Member

okay guys, to keep things going well on here for everybody.

"Its the thought that counts" award 2014

I am putting up a prize for a member who has gone out of their way for you. and made you happy.
    pm me if a member has just been awesome, and shown they have heart. ( and i don't mean free thrifted swag) it could be $20 Gas to get home, an idea that inspired you, somebody who was a friend when you needed one.

for me: mrs 38R and i stayed in Sanfran with Mr &Mrs Barrelntrigger. and they were wonderful hosts, -returning the favor this year. i met Troika, who gave me samples of MANY whiskeys, and about 14 shirts. - just him being awesome, 1ofthecoolkids, for being great fun to chat with. Brianpore, for being patient, and generous, Snoogz, for sending me a sweet jacket-just because i said i liked it.(your box is coming) And Hansdehund, for helping everybody(else) have a surprise for Thriftmas. there are more. - and i want to know about it. tell me who made you happy in 2013, and i will send something to them just to make them smile.

- no suits, just fun. they will receive a TOY. an awesome one. don't doubt it. and it will make them enjoy. as i have enjoyed the good folks on here.

so who made you happy last year?

you have until the end of the month to nominate, and prize will go out early feb.

edit: I have 1 nominee.- keep them coming, just pm me with who, and why. the prize will be selected to suit the winner.

4 people like this.
  19. IRKSM

IRKSM Well-Known Member

Did my secret Santa get his yet I know I sent it late but I still sent it like a month+ ago

20. tben

tben Well-Known Member

In need of some staple suits, 38R. Get at me if any fit the bill!

Shiny, and jbarne. Also many others but they already know of their awesomeness. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.