1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gcmartin1

gcmartin1 Active Member

I realize now that I shouldn't have. Oh well, only paid $15 for it.

2. HansderHund

HansderHund Well-Known Member

A quick roundup of everyone's gift exchange gifts. I hope I didn't leave anyone out, but let me know if I did (and link me to your post) so I can edit this.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
    5 people like this.
  3. HansderHund

That concludes the Thrift Thread Gift Exchange 2013. Thanks to all that participated this year. Unfortunately, we had at least two people that did not receive their gift. It's surprising to see something like this happen, and I haven't given up on it. To the guys that didn't receive your gift: I'm still attempting to make contact, it's not forgotten and I'll make it right!

I honestly debated publicly listing their SF names, but I decided against it. In the original message, I specifically said that I wouldn't do that, so I must adhere to my own word. I hope it was just a mix up and that there is nothing wrong.

In light of this, I am unsure whether this can continue for the next holidays. All input welcome.

Another mystery that I'd love to solve involves @Dolfan954 ....did you reveal what was in the box from Spoo?!?! :) I may have missed it, but I'd love to see/hear a follow-up to that!

1 person likes this.
  4. capnwes

capnwes Well-Known Member

He never did. In fact, his last post was the teaser.

5. HansderHund

:fu:

I thought that was the case! Hopefully he (or Spoo) will end the suspense!

6. antirabbit

antirabbit Well-Known Member

Blue blazer. Nuff said[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  7. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Well-Known Member

Happens. You should look at some of my first posts in this thread!

Also, if it fits you then it's a great deal! I'm dialing back my purchases a lot though. Only going for the good stuff I rarely find so I don't end up with tons of inventory. I have no space :/

8. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Well-Known Member

Man, guys, this thread is on fire. Can't believe all the great finds.

@thriftydood, not sure about the cardigan. No later than '50s, I'd say, probably '40s-50s.

@capnwes got more pics of the yellow DB? Looks hella vintage - like '20s. If it's got a belted back you're looking at major Benjamins, and it'll probably do well even if not.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  9. HansderHund

I was standing in line buying a jacket when I saw two of these at the counter:

[​IMG]

Inside, vintage ski goggles/glasses. I think they're new old stock. The blue pair has the strap that you can change. Both came with the extra set of dark lenses. Pretty cool. I found a pair of beat up windsurfing glasses from the '80s earlier this year.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4 people like this.
  10. GMMcL

GMMcL Well-Known Member

As requested. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5 people like this.
  11. capnwes

capnwes Well-Known Member

No pics on me right now. But it's the black numbered union tag so I'm thinking late 60's before the world was destroyed momentarily by the fly away lapels of the 70's.

12. eazye

eazye Well-Known Member

Holy shit guys! So much great stuff today! Makes me wish it wasn't -38 degrees out right now so I could hit the racks.

13. eazye

eazye Well-Known Member

-41 with the windchill :(

14. cpmac7

cpmac7 Well-Known Member

THose AE sanfords are sexy

15. Snoogz

Snoogz Well-Known Member

Congrats??? Baby on the way? I may be in left field on this assumption...[​IMG]

Holy fuck...I cannot even imagine what that feels like...

16. hooker4186

hooker4186 Well-Known Member

Killing it man...so glad you snagged that. :slayer:

17. Ace_Face

Ace_Face Well-Known Member

There is no place colder in the entire world than a Chicago L platform in January. Fact.

[​IMG]

Per the comments the other day, went back and grabbed those RT ties. Two on the left for fleabay, but I think the one on the right isn't too bad and it is NWT. If anyone wants it, get at me.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And I picked up this blackwatch Pendleton that looks kind of like a Filson Mackinaw. Fits, but not sure it's really my style. Size L and available.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

I feel for you, man! I'm not sure what my windchill record is, but I have experienced temperatures down to -22F. And I have gone downhill skiing in temps as low as -15, so that must be at least as bad.

19. Nataku

Nataku Well-Known Member

I've been looking for cool cribs for awhile now. I've still got about 7 months to find one. Haven't had any luck yet. I'll keep my eyes peeled for ya though.

I hear ya. Not even stepping outside today. I went outside last night at 2 am when it was -22 with a windchill of around -48 and did some experiments. Threw up boiling water and watched it evaporate. Also took a soaking wet shirt and held it up. Froze instantly. Very cool.

I'm imagining a rack full of current label Isaia suits, RLPL outerwear and such coming out right now and nobody at the store to get them except this one local flipper who lives 3 miles away. :fu: It's possible as that very scenario happened to me at that store 2 years ago.

http://www.styleforum.net/t/9006/th...ount-store-bragging-thread/27900#post_5260968

http://www.styleforum.net/t/9006/th...ount-store-bragging-thread/27915#post_5261033

This happened at the same store a couple months earlier

http://www.styleforum.net/t/9006/th...ount-store-bragging-thread/23490#post_5132343

20. ilikethelights

ilikethelights Well-Known Member

I went to work today. REALLY tempted to hit the stores but also should go home and not be around this...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.